OBC ends Polo Debate

Started by Майор Хаткевич, October 04, 2012, 02:21:32 AM

Camas

Quote from: lordmonar on October 04, 2012, 02:59:50 PM
Since the polo does not carry rank.......a salute is not required.

If you're speaking of the senior officer wouldn't a junior officer in a military-style uniform still salute a senior in a golf-shirt uniform? Just asking.

From CAPP151 Page 6 - - - "When in uniform salute officers upon recognition, regardless of what the officer is wearing."

jeders

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 04, 2012, 04:45:56 PM
While they don't have grade insignia, they frequently have it spelled out over the pocket.  Something like LtCol Joe Blow just below the pilot wings...  So based on the fact that you would recognize the rank if you can read, it would be a salutable uniform, so the correct answer would be B,C, or D...

I have never seen rank on the polo. The customization field on Vanguard's website is for position/insignia and first and last name, no rank.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

lordmonar

Quote from: jeders on October 04, 2012, 05:13:01 PM
While they don't have grade insignia, they frequently have it spelled out over the pocket.  Something like LtCol Joe Blow just below the pilot wings...  So based on the fact that you would recognize the rank if you can read, it would be a salutable uniform, so the correct answer would be B,C, or D...

I have never seen rank on the polo. The customization field on Vanguard's website is for position/insignia and first and last name, no rank.
+1
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on October 04, 2012, 05:17:52 PM
Quote from: jeders on October 04, 2012, 05:13:01 PM

+1

+2.

Unless I know the wearer personally, I have no idea if the member wearing the polo shirt is an SMWOG or Colonel.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Al Sayre

Not everyone has purchased them from Vanguard or had them customized there.  There used to be other vendors...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jeders

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 04, 2012, 05:44:21 PM
Not everyone has purchased them from Vanguard or had them customized there.  There used to be other vendors...

That doesn't change the rules though.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, pg 76NOTES: There are three knit shirts authorized for wear for men and women. They are:
1. Dark blue knit shirt with embroidered CAP seal on the right breast and embroidered name and
aeronautical rating or specialty badge on the left breast.
2. Dark blue knit shirt with embroidered seal on the right breast, without the name or rating on left
breast.
3. Dark blue knit shirt with the CAP seal screen-printed in white lettering on left breast.

You will notice that rank is not listed as something which goes on the golf shirt. In other words, if they have rank on the shirt in any way, they are doing it wrong.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Cool Mace

Quote from: jeders on October 04, 2012, 05:54:20 PM

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, pg 76NOTES: There are three knit shirts authorized for wear for men and women. They are:
1. Dark blue knit shirt with embroidered CAP seal on the right breast and embroidered name and
2. Dark blue knit shirt with embroidered seal on the right breast, without the name or rating on left
breast.
3. Dark blue knit shirt with the CAP seal screen-printed in white lettering on left breast.

You will notice that rank is not listed as something which goes on the golf shirt. In other words, if they have rank on the shirt in any way, they are doing it wrong.

I may be mistaken. But I believe that came out a little later when someone tried to get a polo on their own, and send it to Vanguard (or something along those lines) to save money.

I know members who have rank and different color buttons then what is now prescribed.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

bflynn

I believe all that Eclipse is saying is that someone can be saluted in anything.  I could be wearing a bathing suit, but if someone knows me, then what I'm wearing can be saluted. 

Rather than disagree, perhaps we should try for understanding.

I think technically, you salute the person, never the uniform but that's an entirely different topic.  No uniform is salutable.

PHall

Quote from: Cool Mace on October 04, 2012, 06:01:20 PM
Quote from: jeders on October 04, 2012, 05:54:20 PM

breast.

I may be mistaken. But I believe that came out a little later when someone tried to get a polo on their own, and send it to Vanguard (or something along those lines) to save money.

I know members who have rank and different color buttons then what is now prescribed.

I believe you're thinking of the folks who brought polo shirts in sizes that Vanguard does not stock and who sent them to Vanguard to the the embroidery applied.
Vanguard has said in the past that they will do the embroidery on a shirt you supply if they don't stock your size.

Private Investigator

Quote from: BillB on October 04, 2012, 09:18:38 AM
Where does it say you can't wear the polo flying on missions?

I was under the ideal you had to wear nomex flight suit and leather boots on missions.

But I guess if I get a call at midnight for an actual mission launch at dawn I can show up in a polo shirt, shorts and deck shoes. Thanks Bill I guess I have been doing it wrong.

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 08, 2012, 02:23:30 AM

I was under the ideal you had to wear nomex flight suit and leather boots on missions.

Not by any national regulations.  Some wings have or had supplements to that effect.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Only in one state that I'm aware of.

Private Investigator

Quote from: jeders on October 04, 2012, 01:00:35 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on October 04, 2012, 07:57:34 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on October 04, 2012, 03:51:55 AM
You can wear it while flying, so B.

Yes and no. If you are flying as part of the CAP "flying club" yes. If you are on an actual mission, no.

Oh really you say. So the fact that it is required to wear on certain actual missions means nothing I guess.

I stand corrected for the 5% who do CD missions. But on a national level the majority of missions is SAR.

Private Investigator

Quote from: JeffDG on October 08, 2012, 02:33:44 AM

Jeff, all the press releases I see nationally it appears everyone has nomex flight suits on.

JeffDG

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 08, 2012, 02:43:47 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on October 08, 2012, 02:33:44 AM

Jeff, all the press releases I see nationally it appears everyone has nomex flight suits on.
Here's one from the AOPA article on the Gulf Oil response:

Only 2 of 3 in polos.

umpirecali

Quote from: bflynn on October 07, 2012, 09:52:15 AM
I believe all that Eclipse is saying is that someone can be saluted in anything.  I could be wearing a bathing suit, but if someone knows me, then what I'm wearing can be saluted. 

Rather than disagree, perhaps we should try for understanding.

I think technically, you salute the person, never the uniform but that's an entirely different topic.  No uniform is salutable.

Right, I am also taking the OBC right now and am in block 2. It said that if you see a senior officer that you should salute them even if they are in civvies. I think the question in the OP meant to say "you not salute while wearing the polo uniform" instead of "is not a saluteable uniform"
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Eclipse

Quote from: umpirecali on October 08, 2012, 02:58:25 AMRight, I am also taking the OBC right now and am in block 2. It said that if you see a senior officer that you should salute them even if they are in civvies. I think the question in the OP meant to say "you not salute while wearing the polo uniform" instead of "is not a saluteable uniform"

Neither would be correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 08, 2012, 02:40:27 AM
I stand corrected for the 5% who do CD missions. But on a national level the majority of missions is SAR.

Actually, on a national level most of the missions are probably not "SAR", they are proficiency flying and O-rides.
SAR probably accounts for about 1/2 the flying.

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 08, 2012, 02:43:47 AM

I'd say it's maybe 50/50, but it's not by a long shot "most".

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 08, 2012, 02:23:30 AMBut I guess if I get a call at midnight for an actual mission launch at dawn I can show up in a polo shirt, shorts and deck shoes. Thanks Bill I guess I have been doing it wrong.

What does that even mean?  The requirement, absent a localized supplement, is that you be in an approved uniform - that could literally be anything
from the golf shirt to mess dress.

There is no requirement or prescription for a specific uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

umpirecali

Quote from: Eclipse on October 08, 2012, 03:01:58 AM
Quote from: umpirecali on October 08, 2012, 02:58:25 AMRight, I am also taking the OBC right now and am in block 2. It said that if you see a senior officer that you should salute them even if they are in civvies. I think the question in the OP meant to say "you not salute while wearing the polo uniform" instead of "is not a saluteable uniform"

Neither would be correct.

Explain yourself...

I made two points
A) you should salute senior grades that are not in uniform
B) you do not salute while wearing polo uniform

Both of those statements are correct
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"