lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on February 12, 2007, 07:27:01 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 12, 2007, 06:57:33 PM
orange jump suits make me look fat.  :-[

Then go with black. Its slimming...

And then can we wear orange berets? ::)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Carrales

Making kites and hand thrown gliders in CAP is one thing...flying in them in CAP?  Oy!  You are asking for amounts of trouble.

Making and flying model aircraft made from relative scratch, that could have a future.  Making and flying in model aircraft made from relative scratch, that could have a funeral! :o
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Chris Jacobs

what if the cadets built the flying contraption, and had some out side of CAP volunteer fly it for them off the dock thing.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Pylon

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on February 12, 2007, 11:04:45 PM
what if the cadets built the flying contraption, and had some out side of CAP volunteer fly it for them off the dock thing.

Severe liability, at the very minimum.  People get injured in something that CAP members built and then asked someone to "fly" in it?   On a more serious possibility, one might find themselves charged with criminally depraved indifference for those hurt in the flugtag contraption.  That aside from any civil suits that the "volunteers" might file against CAP.

Face it -- it's a bad idea for CAP.  It has no merit as a CAP activity nor as a valuable aerospace education opportunity to participate as entrants.  To go and observe the entrants, as spectators only, and try to learn from them sounds like a safe, fun, and educational alternative to me.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Chris Jacobs

thats a good point.  I need to think my ideas through a little more.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

ZigZag911

I suppose we could research and quote chapter and verse, but it just sounds like a bad idea....hopefully you're folks will invest this enthusiasm for AE in something less likely toe end up as a film clip on a reality show about "Amazing Crashes" or the like!

Al Sayre

To quote my parents at multiple times in my life:  "If your friends jumed off the bridge would you have to do it too?"  (actually I did... the bridge, the pier, the railroad trestle, pretty much anything high with water under it... :D)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 13, 2007, 04:02:16 PM
To quote my parents at multiple times in my life:  "If your friends jumed off the bridge would you have to do it too?"  (actually I did... the bridge, the pier, the railroad trestle, pretty much anything high with water under it... :D)

Your behind the times, it is now said...

""If your friends jump off the bridge...what time do they meet?"
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NIN

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 13, 2007, 04:02:16 PM

I did that and sent my mom the video.  "Hey, mom, there were 299 other idiots jumping off this bridge, so I did too!"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MississippiFlyboy

I had the pleasure of "flying" one of these last summer at West Point Lake in Georgia with all the old college buddies.  They have since been removed from the market as "extremely dangerous." I can't imagine why???

This IMHO would be a good safe Aerospace Ed activity for cadets and seniors alike  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzmVgMC6YJs

Enjoy !!!

Disclaimer: don't try this at home I am a PROFESSIONAL kite pilot. Now all I need are CAP Kite wings.   :D
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Kevin Myers
2d Lt, CAP
SER-MS-100

DNall

Quote from: MississippiFlyboy on February 21, 2007, 04:12:51 PM
I had the pleasure of "flying" one of these last summer at West Point Lake in Georgia with all the old college buddies.  They have since been removed from the market as "extremely dangerous." I can't imagine why???

This IMHO would be a good safe Aerospace Ed activity for cadets and seniors alike  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzmVgMC6YJs

Enjoy !!!

Disclaimer: don't try this at home I am a PROFESSIONAL kite pilot. Now all I need are CAP Kite wings.   :D
Ouch!

I wouldn't worry about liability on the flugtag. Let cadets build it & you ride it, watch over thier shoulders so they don't kill you, & wear some safety gear. After you hit, you can count it for airframe water exit training.

afgeo4

Have the cadets build the contraption as an AE project and then have the AE educators (Senior Members) fly the thing. There's nothing in the regs that prohibits our Officers from doing it.
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

Exactly why is having cadets build something that can't fly a great aerospace education activity?  It may be a whole lot of fun, but lets not kid ourselves about this being some sort of educational event. 

>:D  >:D  >:D Keep in mind that CAP can't sponsor airshows  >:D  >:D  >:D

ZigZag911

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 22, 2007, 03:53:41 AM
Have the cadets build the contraption as an AE project and then have the AE educators (Senior Members) fly the thing. There's nothing in the regs that prohibits our Officers from doing it.

It's a question of whether it is unsafe for cadets, or simply unsafe.

If the latter, no one ought to fly in or on it.

Build it by all means; test as an UAV, or with a 'crash dummy' aboard, like they do on "Mythbusters".

SJFedor

*BUMP*

Anyone coming to Nashville in June for the event? I'm hoping to take some cadets from my squadron to watch.

Should be entertaining!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Major Lord

The Red Bull people have safety swimmers and boats in the water. falling 30 feet into the water is not terrible risk. I would consider the building and design of such a craft as a Cadet/Senior AE project, but the flying would have to be done by a senior and there is no way it could be an official CAP event.

We considered building a full scale model of the classic wind-up balsa wood airplane, with a pedal wound surgical rubber tube array as a power plant ( the rules say human powered, so we thought we might be able to cheat by storing pilot power into rubber bands) 90 pound female pilot SM volunteered to pilot the thing. The idea also called for a fall away wheel carriage, since like Al Quaida, FlugTag airplanes are not much on landings....

Most Flugtag entries are like telephone booths with a guy inside running off the end of a pier. Flying is not actually expected or even encouraged.

It sounds like the response to the flugtag design is about 50/50 : Great idea, and you'll break your neck and get us all sued! Wait, do you hear that? Thats Billy Mitchell rolling in his grave!

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

NIN

Quote from: NIN on February 12, 2007, 02:37:10 PM
The heck with Flugtag, I'm taking my squadron skydiving....

Photos to follow...

BTW, we were Mission Complete on this on 8 March. I need to get the article published. Look for a blurb in the next Volunteer.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eagle400

Quote from: SJFedor on May 04, 2007, 07:54:36 AM
*BUMP*

Anyone coming to Nashville in June for the event? I'm hoping to take some cadets from my squadron to watch.

Should be entertaining!

When is it?  I will be in Nashville later this month. 

floridacyclist

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on February 12, 2007, 11:04:45 PM
On the other hand, if you had a standard-weight inanimate payload for all participants, you might be onto something here. Limit the overall weight to something less dangerous (and huge) with a clear field of fire downrange and see whose goes the furthest.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org