Flugtag as a Squadron Activity

Started by Guardrail, February 12, 2007, 04:52:56 AM

Guardrail

What do you all think about a Flugtag as a squadron activity.  Anyone here ever been to one?

For those of you who don't know, a flugtag is an event in which competitors attempt to fly in homemade flying machines. The flying machines are usually launched off a pier about 30 feet high into the sea (or suitably sized reservoir of water). Most competitors enter for the entertainment value, and the flying machines rarely fly at all.

Credit: www.wikipedia.org

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flugtag

DNall

JohnKachenmeister

Another former CAP officer

Chris Jacobs

It could be a good aero space project.  I loved watching this when it was here in portland.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

SarDragon

Well, since you didn't get a good reception on CS, you decided to post it here, too?

YGBSM! The liability issues are enormous. If you want to do something whacked like that, why don't you just go play in traffic?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

NIN

The heck with Flugtag, I'm taking my squadron skydiving....

Photos to follow...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

BillB

Nin
Ya can't do that. The regulation says you can't throw anything out of corporate aircraft. I think that includes cadets.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Chris Jacobs

OK a serious question.  If it wasn't a cooperate air plane and the cadet was of legal age to skydive, could that be a cadet activity.  I am thinking not but i was wondering if there is any thing against it.

Because i don't want to have to use a giant sling shot to get the cadets up that high.  (if you haven't seen the sling shot video on you tube yet you should go check it out.  The set up like a horizontal ejection seat ride with bungee jumping ropes.)
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

NIN

Quote from: BillB on February 12, 2007, 02:41:11 PM
Nin
Ya can't do that. The regulation says you can't throw anything out of corporate aircraft. I think that includes cadets.

60-1 need not apply! :)

Seriously, photos will follow after the activity.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on February 12, 2007, 03:38:27 PM
OK a serious question.  If it wasn't a cooperate air plane and the cadet was of legal age to skydive, could that be a cadet activity.  I am thinking not but i was wondering if there is any thing against it.

Because i don't want to have to use a giant sling shot to get the cadets up that high.  (if you haven't seen the sling shot video on you tube yet you should go check it out.  The set up like a horizontal ejection seat ride with bungee jumping ropes.)

CAPR 52-16, para 1-4d
Quoted. Parachuting & Ultralight Vehicles. Cadets may not parachute, para-sail or engage in similar activities at a CAP activity. Flying ultralights, aerolights or any similar vehicle is also prohibited at CAP activities (see CAPR 60-1, CAP Flight Management).

I'm guessing that if paintball is considered a "no-go" along with skydiving, other un-named activities such as  bungee jumping, BASE jumping, slingshotting, etc, must be similarly verböten.

Plus, in most states, you have to be 18 to jump.   Most cadets are < 18

So yes, as an official activity, skydiving is out. 

But wait for the pictures...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on February 12, 2007, 02:37:10 PM
The heck with Flugtag, I'm taking my squadron skydiving....

Photos to follow...

Why not sky diving from an ultra-light with boonie hats and a paint gun.  We can all wear swords too!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Fifinella

Quote from: lordmonar on February 12, 2007, 05:15:12 PM
Why not sky diving from an ultra-light with boonie hats and a paint gun.  We can all wear swords too!

Only if you're wearing something orange.  ;D
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

lordmonar

Quote from: Fifinella on February 12, 2007, 05:28:06 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 12, 2007, 05:15:12 PM

Only if you're wearing something orange.  ;D

The parachutes could be orange.  ;D

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on February 12, 2007, 05:33:34 PM

Be a man, orange jump suit.  The parachute needs to stay tactical...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Guardrail

Maybe parachutes could be mandated for the Flugtag.

That might reduce some of the liability, eh?  ;D

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on February 12, 2007, 06:33:13 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 12, 2007, 05:33:34 PM

Be a man, orange jump suit.  The parachute needs to stay tactical...

orange jump suits make me look fat.  :-[

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on February 12, 2007, 06:57:33 PM
orange jump suits make me look fat.  :-[

Then go with black. Its slimming...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: Guardrail on February 12, 2007, 04:52:56 AM
What do you all think about a Flugtag as a squadron activity.  Anyone here ever been to one?

For those of you who don't know, a flugtag is an event in which competitors attempt to fly in homemade flying machines. The flying machines are usually launched off a pier about 30 feet high into the sea (or suitably sized reservoir of water). Most competitors enter for the entertainment value, and the flying machines rarely fly at all.

Credit: www.wikipedia.org

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flugtag

It's ridiculously dangerous.  I can't think of any senior member in his or her right mind who would allow CAP (especially cadet) participation as an entrant in such an event.  Sheer idiocacy.

Want to go as a spectator for morale-boosting and entertainment value?  Sure.  Go ahead.  Have your cadets seriously critique the various designs, and point out their shortcomings, paired with AE instruction on the important elements of what makes a craft airworthy.  That would be kind of similar to the physics classes that go to amusement parks.

But, to aptly quote Dave -- as entrants?  YGTBSM.  But I guess you wouldn't have to worry about doing it as a CAP activity, since you're not a member of CAP.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP