Interested in Joining CAP

Started by resqccemt, April 25, 2012, 06:49:18 PM

spacecommand

I've met some people who have an image of what CAP is about but when they actually join or learn more, they see that it's not really for them.  This is not limited to CAP, I've worked in other occupations where it's actually different from what people thought it would be.  I'm sure the same thing happens when people think about the fire service or police services.  Depending on where you are, police-fire work can be 99% boredom followed with 1% of sheer terror.   The actual job is different from certain perceptions. 

At the moment I would forget about what the people are wearing when you visit the unit, and concentrate more on what they are actually doing.
You will always have a mix of golf-shirts, white shirts, blue shirts, bdu's, blue bdu's etc. etc. at meetings, sarexs and actual missions. 

At my unit, a lot is also done outside of regular meeting nights, "the fun stuff" as I call them, ex:  O-Flights, SAREX's/ training activities, other activities (launching rockets, field trips, etc) are often done at times outside regular meeting nights.

resqccemt

This is what I do for work in a typical month. I want to join CAP to give back to my country and my community. I know CAP is not a first responder agency, but CAP has a long history of being there in disasters and war. I am willing to do anything the squadron needs, I just wish I could get a straight answer. Helping out with cadets, training, emergency services, mission observer, you name it I'm there.  I believe in the missions of CAP, it is frustrating that some are just not interested. I don't know it all, I am willing and able to serve the CAP way...

Colleton Fire Omniflight Meducare Air Helicopter

Eclipse

Quote from: resqccemt on May 25, 2012, 03:32:25 AM
This is what I do for work in a typical month. I want to join CAP to give back to my country and my community. I know CAP is not a first responder agency, but CAP has a long history of being there in disasters and war. I am willing to do anything the squadron needs, I just wish I could get a straight answer. Helping out with cadets, training, emergency services, mission observer, you name it I'm there.  I believe in the missions of CAP, it is frustrating that some are just not interested. I don't know it all, I am willing and able to serve the CAP way...

If anything, CAP "suffers" from choice and options for its members.

The average new USAF recruit, or Officer coming in with a degree and "salutin' school" does not have much choice as to what they will do once they sign their name.  CAP members do, and for the most part the only restrictions are personal in terms of time and initiative.

Units tend to normalize around the leadership.  If the Squadron CC is a pilot, then the unit will have a lot of aviation in its activities,
if he joined to work with cadets, then that will probably be the focus of the unit's schedule.

However just because the unit you join doesn't do "x", doesn't mean you can't do "x", you just might have to seek it out more directly.
Best thing to do is join, spend a bit of time getting the basics down, and then look around for what interests you, either at the unit, or elsewhere.

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2012, 03:39:37 AM
Units tend to normalize around the leadership.  If the Squadron CC is a pilot, then the unit will have a lot of aviation in its activities,
if he joined to work with cadets, then that will probably be the focus of the unit's schedule.

So you're saying that squadrons change focus when squadron leadership changes?

I'd think members do what members want to do.  If people want to work with cadets, or do ES or AE, they're going to and I don't think they'll suddenly become interested in something else because there's a new commander.

I find the idea that the squadron would change because a new commander wants to do something else a little depressing actually...

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on May 25, 2012, 02:31:16 PMSo you're saying that squadrons change focus when squadron leadership changes?

Yes, especially in units where member's whim has dictated the direction a unit has moved.

Members are free to be interested in whatever they like, however a commander's responsibility is to accomplish CAP's mission.  If the existing membership is not capable or interested in executing parts of the mandates, then the Commander's responsibility is to find more members to fill in the gaps.

"That Others May Zoom"

resqccemt

bflynn... your squadron focuses specifically on flying.. I was told that when I sent an email there.. so Im not sure why you are so upset...

resqccemt

and I would also add that your commander has some excellent ideas for training....but your squadron is mostly concerned about flying, and having flown , having worked in Iraq and Afghanistan, I know the mentality of pilots.... CAP  is destroying itself.... I am interested not for my ego, but for service..

Eclipse

Quote from: resqccemt on May 25, 2012, 10:34:14 PMCAP  is destroying itself.... I am interested not for my ego, but for service..

I'd say that is a stretch.  There are plenty of opportunities for meaningful service, but you have to play to win.

"That Others May Zoom"

resqccemt

I would have to say I stand corrected there.. you are right in that...

resqccemt

After weeks of attending meetings and researching.. I have concluded this organization is a joke in many ways other than the pilots and mission observers that are involved.. There is no real mission for ground teams because local authorities have jurisdiction and their own ground SAR It does not take a GTM rating to pass out food for disaster relief... I see why there is so much turnover in the local squadrons and I will save my 75-150 dollar dues, plus the cost of uniforms that no one can figure out which to wear and do something else...I think I will focus my efforts on an organization that is ready to deploy, and one that does actual certified training in the area of my expertise.  Thank you for your feedback

Extremepredjudice

Um, sir, it seems you decided CAP isn't for you. There isn't anything wrong this this, but please don't call our organization a joke. It isn't.

There are people on here that have 40 years in CAP. Was that time spent a joke?

I don't see how CAP is funny. In order to be a joke it must be funny. (see:http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=joke&o=0&l=dir)
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: resqccemt on June 21, 2012, 03:05:42 AM
After weeks of attending meetings and researching.. I have concluded this organization is a joke in many ways other than the pilots and mission observers that are involved.. There is no real mission for ground teams because local authorities have jurisdiction and their own ground SAR It does not take a GTM rating to pass out food for disaster relief... I see why there is so much turnover in the local squadrons and I will save my 75-150 dollar dues, plus the cost of uniforms that no one can figure out which to wear and do something else...I think I will focus my efforts on an organization that is ready to deploy, and one that does actual certified training in the area of my expertise.  Thank you for your feedback

It is unfortunate that you did not find CAP a fit for your volunteer time. I'm sure another worthy organization will be able to make use of your time and experience.

Know, though, that your experience is not necessarily typical of the entire organization.  CAP has a very specific lane of support and participation, and
while much of the mission is local, our federalized status requires we adhere to a very specific set of rules, and just like other agencies, there are things
we do, and things we do not do.  This is frustrating for people who just want to "get involved", but is typical of agencies with the kinds of resources that we have to offer.

It is what it is, and what it "is" is not for everyone.

Good luck in finding a suitable outlet for your community spirit.

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

CAP has been around for a long time, has done good things and continue to do good things, unfortunate that you did not find a place for yourself.
CAP isn't a first responder organization like the local volunteer fire department, but I would hardly describe the organization as a "joke" , especially for the ones who went out and never came back. 

Angus

Quote from: a2capt on May 23, 2012, 02:57:03 PM

CAP is not a first responder. Not even a close second, if we have units with that mentality..
Quote from: resqccemt on May 22, 2012, 08:36:55 PMThen the whole uniform thing is confusing, I see 4 different uniforms at the meetings and it just doesn't look like there is cohesiveness or professionalism in that.
CAP could also stand for Confusion About Policies ;)

See I thought it stood for Come And Pay all these years.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Angus

Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

SarDragon

Let us not forget - Cash and Plastic.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

rustyjeeper

It is a shame to see someone like this leave so suddenly and while leaving make the statement that the organization is a joke in many ways. Unfortunately I do understand where he is coming from :-[
We have some very good people and a lot of potential, but in reality we are not where we should be IMHO at least.
Why cant we get our act togather on a National Scale and become relevant again- it is what this organization needs to do, There is no real leadership  or direction given. For that matter we cannot even get an ES specialty track guide in place within a reasonable period of time. So in some ways it is true we are sadly somewhat of a a joke.
Our missions are disappearing and we are not doing anything to transition to the future. I hear more that "we cant do that" than how can we accomplish that from leadership. If we want to survive and improve we need to change how we do things in CAP.
I am somewhat new to cap being back less than two years but as a former member I have now seen the decline firsthand from what we were years ago, I have not quit yet- But I am questioning myself more often as to why I remain involved when our relevancy is so minimal in reality. In 2016 the 121 beacons will ALL be gone further diminishing what we do and we need to find new ways to provide service.

AngelWings

You've concluded it's a joke, but one think is, what could you bring to the table to fix it? I think you've missed the part where we are a team, we learn from eachother, and we improve with expertise. The biggest problem I've seen in CAP is people getting discouraged by nothing getting done. You want something done? Do it yourself! It's that simple. It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to explain what you're doing and to justify it. Your squadron may not be calling anyone looking for help, and that's where you need to push them. I've been in positions where that was the case for some training, and I simply took things a bit into my own hands, and now my squadron is doing just fine. It may not seem kosher, and in some ways people won't find it kosher, but no one gets mad when they get helped out.

So, my advice to you is to call your local PD, call people and set up training and TELL people the training is available and ready to be given (and if there is a fee, ask for the squadron to pay for the training for it's members or for people to pitch in money to the training), and get things moving! You can't forget people don't ask, don't search, and don't pay attention to what they could get sometimes, but when it is offered to them, they'll be hardpressed to say no. And if they do say no, find another squadron and try again!

rustyjeeper

Quote from: AngelWings on June 24, 2012, 12:24:13 PM
You've concluded it's a joke, but one think is, what could you bring to the table to fix it? I think you've missed the part where we are a team, we learn from eachother, and we improve with expertise. The biggest problem I've seen in CAP is people getting discouraged by nothing getting done. You want something done? Do it yourself! It's that simple. It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to explain what you're doing and to justify it. Your squadron may not be calling anyone looking for help, and that's where you need to push them. I've been in positions where that was the case for some training, and I simply took things a bit into my own hands, and now my squadron is doing just fine. It may not seem kosher, and in some ways people won't find it kosher, but no one gets mad when they get helped out.

So, my advice to you is to call your local PD, call people and set up training and TELL people the training is available and ready to be given (and if there is a fee, ask for the squadron to pay for the training for it's members or for people to pitch in money to the training), and get things moving! You can't forget people don't ask, don't search, and don't pay attention to what they could get sometimes, but when it is offered to them, they'll be hardpressed to say no. And if they do say no, find another squadron and try again!

AngelWings,
you are correct people do need to step up and fix the problems and offer solutions. The issue is that those who run the show often thiink thing are hunky dory and unwilling to change or use the system to bring change about. In your own Wing there has been great resistance to CERT and that does not make sense to me- does it to you :o????
I have been fighting for change since renewing my own membership after a twenty five year vacation;  and in all honesty I get tired of the mentality of those in higher headquarters at times. It seems you need to be willing to fight tooth and nail for every inch you gained or just quit. I respect the fact that the original poster made an educated decision early on. 

jimmydeanno

It shouldn't be dependent on our new members walking in the door to fix our problems.  When you go to a restaurant and the food sucks, do you jump in the kitchen and show them how to cook?

New members should be able to join our units and start getting the knowledge they'd need to perform our missions, not be thrown into "fixing our problems."  It seems a bit odd that the expectation is that the new folks walking in the door know how to do what we do better than we do.  Maybe we should do some in house sprucing up first.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill