Main Menu

Wisconsin Air Academy

Started by Lancer, January 28, 2007, 04:51:17 AM

Lancer

This story just happened to come via Google news...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=557612

Air academy to open in summer
School will be first in state tied to Civil Air Patrol
By KRIS KOCHMAN
Special to the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Jan. 27, 2007

Union Grove - The first Wisconsin school associated with the Civil Air Patrol is poised to open in the village this summer as the Wisconsin Air Academy.

The co-educational military academy and boarding school for boys in grades six through nine is to operate in the old Union Grove Elementary School near Highways 11 and 45.

Developer Jeff Starke of Union Grove is a former director of the Florida Air Academy in Melbourne, Fla. Starke said he is modeling the Wisconsin Air Academy on the Florida school, which is noted for its successful program of tutoring and mentorship to boost academic achievement.

"Our program focuses on academic excellence," he said.

Starke said the program was ideal for "problem kids who have had a hard time with structure."

A military structure, including daily room inspections, is aimed at developing the students' positive leadership skills, he said. In addition to traditional classes, students would be trained in aeronautics, the martial arts and scuba diving.

Starke said the school will be one of only three in the country to offer aeronautics training to youths.

Starke has acquired $1.5 million in financing from a local bank and expects to begin extensive remodeling on the building's interior within the next month. An open house is planned for May.
Summer program

A six-week leadership program will be offered in summer. Starke said the program would give students and their families an opportunity to become familiar with the school before committing to the regular school year term.

He also is planning to recruit students in the summer program for a cadet corps of student leaders when school opens in the fall. Those students - likely youths with Civil Air Patrol experience - would qualify for reduced tuition, he said.

The private, for-profit school has a tuition of $20,000 a year for boarders, $7,400 for day students. Up to 200 students could be enrolled.

Starke said he has been meeting with potential students in an area from West Bend to the south side of Chicago, including about 400 Civil Air Patrol members in Racine and Kenosha counties. The Civil Air Patrol is an auxiliary organization of the Air Force, and trains students in emergency operations and flight skills.

Starke said he is poised to begin advertising for a school principal, along with about 38 teachers and other staff members.

Starke bought the former elementary school from the school district last summer for $464,000. The building, built in the 1920s, has been vacant for more than three years.

A for profit school using Civil Air Patrol programs? Anyone have additional information about this? I wonder what CAP get's out of this relationship?

pixelwonk

I ran the story on the Portal a long while back and was asked to remove it since the CAP part was being negotiated.
Being that I like the guy who asked and respect him a lot, I didn't mind yanking it.

Last update I got at the beginning of this month was that the negotiating part is still underway.

SAR-EMT1

Does this tie in with the stories in this months CAP Volunteer about the programs in New Mexico and Penn?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

BillB

A tie-in with a private school is nothing new. Florida Air Academy had a tie in, all of their cadets were in CAP and they had their own encampment at Keesler AFB that I'm aware of. They were their own Squadron directly under Wing.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DNall

IIRC, this is the same guy from that Florida program, and there were some problems cited down there that the Wg will have to be vigilant on, but in concept I think it's a great idea.

Lancer

Quote from: tedda on January 28, 2007, 05:50:44 AM
I ran the story on the Portal a long while back and was asked to remove it since the CAP part was being negotiated.
Being that I like the guy who asked and respect him a lot, I didn't mind yanking it.

Last update I got at the beginning of this month was that the negotiating part is still underway.

Cool. Personally I have no problems with it, and think it's great that someone is taking an initiative with something like this. I'm just interested to see how the program is going to run. My main concern being that CAP will benefit from the relationship in ways more than just counting their students among our members.

If you hear anything else about it, please let us know.

Regarding the renewed interest on the part of the Civil Air Patrol to focus on school programs; I'm actually kind of excited to see where this goes. People where I live don't really know about CAP and I'm going to be taking advantage of the relationship I have at the administration level to get an audience with the school board and related educators in the district to introduce the benefits of CAP's AE programs and cadet program etc. I'd like to see them act on the middle school program, but I'll be happy if they just integrate AE curriculum into their lesson plans.

DNall

^ do some checking around before you go it. NHQ can help you get a handle on the school program & external AE. Talk to your wing or region AE officer on that as well.

Lancer

Quote from: DNall on January 28, 2007, 02:37:58 PM
^ do some checking around before you go it. NHQ can help you get a handle on the school program & external AE. Talk to your wing or region AE officer on that as well.

oh yeah. I'm all about the preparation prior to the execution.  ;D I've enlisted our new MIWG Director of Cadet Programs to help with the presentation as he is a neighbor of mine. I have been in touch with NHQ and am waiting to hear back from them regarding a request for materials and a PowerPoint slideshow. The last thing I want to do is rush into this without being as informed and prepared as possible.

We usually have the local print news media at our board meetings and I'm really hoping for some press coverage to help spread the word.

DNall

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on January 28, 2007, 03:04:20 PM
Quote from: DNall on January 28, 2007, 02:37:58 PM

oh yeah. I'm all about the preparation prior to the execution.  ;D I've enlisted our new MIWG Director of Cadet Programs to help with the presentation as he is a neighbor of mine. I have been in touch with NHQ and am waiting to hear back from them regarding a request for materials and a PowerPoint slideshow. The last thing I want to do is rush into this without being as informed and prepared as possible.

We usually have the local print news media at our board meetings and I'm really hoping for some press coverage to help spread the word.
Take a good PAO with you to answer general CAP questions, and make sure you have 20-30 recruiting brochures (such as they are) w/ your local contact info stamped or stapled on.

If you need more on the school program I can refer you to a couple people here locally. We got Sheldon CS in our Gp that's the largest in the country (around 300 cadets) & the CC is one of the lead guys that helped create the program & take it national. A young captain there that's real good also.

Lancer

Quote from: DNall on January 28, 2007, 03:54:35 PM
Take a good PAO with you to answer general CAP questions, and make sure you have 20-30 recruiting brochures (such as they are) w/ your local contact info stamped or stapled on.

If you need more on the school program I can refer you to a couple people here locally. We got Sheldon CS in our Gp that's the largest in the country (around 300 cadets) & the CC is one of the lead guys that helped create the program & take it national. A young captain there that's real good also.

Thanks for the advice Dennis, I appreciate it. Sounds like I'm going to need to run this up the chain at wing to make sure this goes off without a hitch. My main concern is knowing just how much to put into something like this, too little and they won't buy in, too much and they might get scared off. Some people look at programs like this and think the only intention is grooming kids for life in the RealMilitary™, and in the current 'climate' that's a touchy subject.

Feel free to PM me anything you think might be helpful. Thanks!

DNall

Sure. You do need to establish onbjectives before you go in. I mean are you doing this as an aid to external AE, are you trying to establish a school program, or do you just want to get you name out there. There's no reason you can't accomplish all the above at the same time, but your approach should vary greatly for each objective.

If I were you, I wouldn't go in looking for a school program. I'd come to talk about CAP as an opportunity for their students to get involved in AE both in & out of the classroom, fly-a-teacher, rocketry, etc, we can come in & do AE stuff with you real similiar to the way Junior Achievement sends business professionals in to mentor kids & enhance their theory driven coursework w/ practical... yada yada. We also offer an extra-curricular military style cadet program sponsored by the USAF that works with kids as young as 12 thru HS & beyond. We'd just like to bring these programs to your attention & look to further develop a relationship with the district to expand the opportunities to our young people. If down the road you really fall in love with what we do, then there is also a national program you might want to look into that integrates each of these aspects as a middle school course, but that requires some greater committments on your part, & we wouldn't think of asking you to even study that option before you've seen what CAP is all about & what we can do to help bring education alive for your students.

Be prepared to answer some general questions about the varrious ways the middle school program works, but don't go in looking for that. I'd just aim for doing a monthly AE activity out of AEX for math/science students, and using that as a springboard for cadet recruiting. Then as the relationship flourishes you & they can decide if you want to try for a school program, and you can bring in experts to talk to them when the time comes for that.

arajca

Check out the CAP AE website. They have some lesson plans available for various grades. Print a few out for samples. Also, point out the CAP AE lesson plans are tied to national education standards. The cost of the lesson plans is - FREE!. Just download. Materials fo rclasses would have to be reproduced locally, of course, but master copies are available from CAP.

Lancer

Quote from: DNall on January 28, 2007, 05:08:45 PM
Sure. You do need to establish onbjectives before you go in. I mean are you doing this as an aid to external AE, are you trying to establish a school program, or do you just want to get you name out there. There's no reason you can't accomplish all the above at the same time, but your approach should vary greatly for each objective.

If I were you, I wouldn't go in looking for a school program.

A school program would be great, but as you said, that's something for the future. As your suggesting, my goal is simply to go in and do a 'This is what we're all about, this is what we have to offer...' and just go from there. We're going to be changing Superintendants between this and next school year, so this will all depend on how we sell it to him (as he's the supt. of HR right now), where and how it gets implemented. We've only got two cadet squadrons here in the Grand Rapids area and we both meet at different charter schools, neither having large membership. That is something I'd like to see change with the increased exposure I help to generate. The bulk of membership and programs center around the Detroit area and I'd like to see the West Michigan area be as active.

DNall

hmm... if you're already positionsed with two charter schools (which I think is a great situation), I'd have to ask why the participation there is so lackluster. That's going to be on their minds. What degree should they commit to you when you have a record with them that does NOT indicate you'll inspire kids in droves to chase after AE related math & science. I'm not slighting you at all, but I'd be ready to explain away that concern, while noting you alreayd have position there.

Lancer

Quote from: DNall on January 28, 2007, 08:04:38 PM
hmm... if you're already positionsed with two charter schools (which I think is a great situation), I'd have to ask why the participation there is so lackluster. That's going to be on their minds. What degree should they commit to you when you have a record with them that does NOT indicate you'll inspire kids in droves to chase after AE related math & science. I'm not slighting you at all, but I'd be ready to explain away that concern, while noting you alreayd have position there.

Right. The reason we're both in charter schools is due to the fact that members of each squadron are staff at said schools. Ours only runs K-6 and the other Pre-8, but from what I understand, they are new there and I'm still learning about their group. So that would explain why we don't benefit from our associated schools as far as membership is concerned.  There's a bit of a history there that I'm still learning. Soap Opera-esque.

I'm active in my school district as a member of it's Educational Foundation, so this is a part of the reason why I want to start here with the program's. If they buy into it, I have no problem taking the show on the road to another district.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: DNall on January 28, 2007, 03:54:35 PM

How does a squadron that large work. Ive never heard of a squadron with that many cadets...maybe a WING Where do they meet?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

DNall

Sounds like you're on the right track, let me know if I can direct you to any support.

Sq meets in the school obviously. When you got a 1500 student school it's not real hard to deal with 300 cadets in those facilities. Obviously it's broken up a bit w/ people at dif stages of the program in dif classrooms & then there's the lunchroom or assembly hall to take care of big stuff. I'm not sure what's active of that, but they get run 110 for major activities. I'm sure they could run their own encampment if they wanted to, but they're quite committed to putting their kids in with the rest of us to learn from each other. The people in charge tehre came up thru regular CAP channels & are very committed to the larger program.

baronet68

Quote from: BillB on January 28, 2007, 12:24:16 PM
A tie-in with a private school is nothing new. Florida Air Academy had a tie in, all of their cadets were in CAP and they had their own encampment at Keesler AFB that I'm aware of. They were their own Squadron directly under Wing.

WIWAC, I sooooo wanted to attend the Florida Air Academy... but sadly, my parents could never afford it.   :'(
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

JohnKachenmeister

Old timers remember the advertisements for FAA in CAP Times and Boys' Life.  I first set eyes upon it when I moved here to Melbourne.  It LOOKS like a military school.
Another former CAP officer

Al Sayre

I was in the CAP Squadron that met at Florida Air Academy back in the late 70's,  from what I saw, it really didn't live up to its brochures...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Lancer

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 30, 2007, 12:43:08 PM
I was in the CAP Squadron that met at Florida Air Academy back in the late 70's,  from what I saw, it really didn't live up to its brochures...

The website, http://www.flair.com/ is pretty darn nice, and from the pictures is definitely a military school, and looks like a nice one at that.

Of course the domain name should be hyphenated IMHO. Makes me think of the restaraunt 'Chotchkies' from Office Space.  ;D

BillB

Florida Air Academy did have their own encampment at Keesler AFB in the 1960's. But the attitude of the cadets, disciplineas described by the USAF-CAP LO was a bunch of rich-kids with no discipline. They damaged the barracks facilities and tried to buy alcohol at the BX using cadet ID cards. Keesler banned CAP for several years after that
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Al Sayre

Yep, that's the general experience I had with the FAA students when I was living in Melbourne...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SAR-EMT1

What makes a kid stupid enough to think he could get away with that?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 30, 2007, 12:43:08 PM

I'm talking the OLD Corps... 1960's.  Back then CAP membership was required as a condition of attendance at FAA.  There wasn't a "Squadron that meets there," they WERE a squadron.
Another former CAP officer

BillB

John....
That's the time period I was referring to when they had their Keesler Encampment. Senior staff was afraid to correct the discipline problem in fear the cadet would withdraw from school and the tuition money lost. Senior staff turned a blind eye to the encampment problems and did nothing to clean up the barracks at the end of encampment. Keesler sent a bill to Florida Wing for over $1000 to repair damage to barracks rooms.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

aircad

Before everyone jumps the gun and starts comparing FAA to Wisconsin Air Academy without even hearing about the program and it's affiliate to the Civil Air Patrol. I think wise and prudent to contact me and i will be more than happy to share the program and how it will be structured. I came from FAA as director of Middle School. I increased the academic grades of 6th through 9th by 73% each year I increased the enrollment  to a point of a waiting list to attend. FAA was on the edge in bringing back CAP. I left FAA to create this program for many reasons. web site: www.wisconsinairacademy.com  I am now in Union Grove Wisconsin purchasing a Elementary school that is 50,000 sq ft three stories on 6 acres. I will be renovating the school and setting it up for co-ed boarders as well as day students. I am a SM in CAP at WI-059 and working toward speciality in cadet programs our school will open this summer and will then in the fall have a full blown day school program under CAP. whereby, we will have flight simulators and teach the Aeronautics programs along with Scuba and levels of self defense.

I hope this helps answer some of the questions.  I ask you don't prejudice my affiliation of FAA but judge me by what I do with Wisconsin Air Academy.  I will soon be hiring a Commandant and principal. I will need experienced CAP personnel for TAC Officer positions as well. Appreciate your support, everyone. we need more and more schools like this for our youth.

Respectfully submitted,

Jeff Starke
President/Founder
WAA
262-501-4500
jeff@wisconsinairacademy.com

BillB

I was not trying to compare Wiscomsin Air Academy to Florida Air Academy. In the first place I was talking about FAA in the 1960's. It's changes since then. Taking the best of FAA and CAP I can see where your institution will carve a new niche in education, in an area of the nation not exposed to aerospace education to a large degree.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DNall

Wow I too could move to freakin freezing cold Wisconson & get paid 10 time less than I do now? Oh my, I feel so much less critical all of a sudden. Let me make sure I can still frin the divemaster card & that elusive box of certificates that might still have the martial arts stuff in it, I just know those skills will make the AF better & this isn't about getting o-flights or otherwise using CAP.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a good program & I really hope it's better than some of the horror stories told about the Florida program. However, I want to see some track record first.

By the way, Fl-Air:
QuoteCAP is a national organization dedicated to aerospace education, emergency services and cadet programs.  Founded in the days before World War 2, CAP is now a component in the Homeland Security Agency, and also conducts search-and-rescue for downed aircraft.  It also provides humanitarian assistance after natural disasters.  Open to all cadets, CAP is a wonderful chance to experience leadership training and educational opportunities, as well as exciting field trips to aviation-related destinations.
Huh?

Lancer

Quote from: DNall on February 07, 2007, 09:40:34 AM
Wow I too could move to freakin freezing cold Wisconson & get paid 10 time less than I do now? Oh my, I feel so much less critical all of a sudden. Let me make sure I can still frin the divemaster card & that elusive box of certificates that might still have the martial arts stuff in it, I just know those skills will make the AF better & this isn't about getting o-flights or otherwise using CAP.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a good program & I really hope it's better than some of the horror stories told about the Florida program. However, I want to see some track record first.

Wha-ouch DNall!  ;D Give the poor guy a chance to get off the ground. Hehehe. Other than adding curriculum, I don't understand Scuba and Martial Arts in Airman training. Seaman training, sure. Meh.

I'm still waiting to hear what CAP itself stands to gain out of this relationship.

I know they're anxious to get off the ground an all, but that website needs work. It's a cut and paste Frontpage site at best right now, no original content. I hate to bag on it, but if there's a 'bottom line' to be looked at, some professional web site development might be a priority, IMHO anyways. I mean, it doesn't need to be to the caliber that www.flair.com is at, since they've been around a while, but still. Just my two cents.

Quote from: DNall on February 07, 2007, 09:40:34 AM
By the way, Fl-Air:
QuoteCAP is a national organization dedicated to aerospace education, emergency services and cadet programs.  Founded in the days before World War 2, CAP is now a component in the Homeland Security Agency, and also conducts search-and-rescue for downed aircraft.  It also provides humanitarian assistance after natural disasters.  Open to all cadets, CAP is a wonderful chance to experience leadership training and educational opportunities, as well as exciting field trips to aviation-related destinations.
Huh?

I seen that too and was like 'Huh?' myself. Sounds like someone's attempt to create buzz and excitement about what CAP brings to their background.

DNall

No comment on seaman training.  >:D

I'd think a formal affiliation with the AF and a theoretical chance at ES ops on military orders... seems like that'd carry some weight at a military academy.

I do have a concern that CAP not be used for our resources (o-flts mainly) and otherwise be ignored if it doesn't suit their purposes. My local AFJROTC unit here expressed some interest in cross-chartering for just sucha purpose & assigned one of my cadets to set it up. Hadn't been over to talk to their LtCol yet.

As I said, I do wish these guys the best. If I were at a place in my life where I could do so I'd love to get paid for doing CAP & setting up a great program. I hope they do great, but I also hope they stick to the program & hire some real good cadre.

RiverAux

Looks like this concept is running into some trouble: http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/2008/04/15/local_news/doc480435a81144d409910220.txt

I'm hoping that this quote at the end is a misquote by the reporter or it shows an alarming lack of knowledge about CAP by somebody wanting it to be an integral part of their program:
QuoteStarke said his students would affiliate with the Civil Air Patrol, a civilian force that falls under the stewardship of the Department of Homeland Security. The academy's Civil Air Patrol chapter would be available to lend support to local emergency agencies, Starke said.
Starke is Jeff Starke, who is trying to get the school started. 

aircad

The only trouble is in communties not knowing the program and misquoting Starke. It has all been cleared up and now open for business...

RiverAux

Looks this school went belly-up.  Seems like the organizer has a long history of not getting all his permits in order....

http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/38985684.html

ThorntonOL

Quote from: Lancer on January 30, 2007, 01:37:51 PM
Of course the domain name should be hyphenated IMHO. Makes me think of the restaraunt 'Chotchkies' from Office Space.  ;D
Funny thing is when I spent a year at Penn State for college (I'm going back to school sometime.) I was in the same apartment complex with a girl who's parents run the bar from the American version of Office Space,.
I believe it's called Poor Richard's. (don't watch the show and haven't talked to her in a while so i'm not sure of the name.)
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: RiverAux on February 05, 2009, 02:26:05 AM
Looks this school went belly-up.  Seems like the organizer has a long history of not getting all his permits in order....

http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/38985684.html

Yup.  Its a shame, I was really looking forward to seeing something good come out of that school.  I know a few cadets that went there.  If I had still been in high school I probably would have tried to sign up.

Earhart1971

I think Jeff is looking for a new location to start again in the Fall of 2009