I saw this SAR video in 1987

Started by Stonewall, December 04, 2011, 09:25:54 PM

Duke Dillio

Nothing has changed and nothing will change without people being more proactive.  Oregon Wing currently has no ground teams.  The sheriff's require that personnel participating in "their" search and rescue missions gain a certification through the sheriff's association.  In the past, people in the wing tried to get the association to sign off on CAP training but the sheriffs denied each request.  Part of the reasoning is that the sheriffs require specific training in crime scene security as part of their training program and we, as CAP, cannot perform those types of searchs anyways so it is not included in our training packet.  This has been this way for at least 10-15 years.  Some of the sheriffs want our help and others have seen the old, fat, crusty CAP officer with the group of kids and want no part.  It's all about politics and money and we don't have enough of either.

RiverAux

Whats the big deal about a little extra training for that sort of stuff?  CAP obviously isn't going to be participating in the searches where foul play is quite likely to have been performed so that isn't an issue.  But for most lost person searches where CAP is likely to be involved having that sort of extra training just in case something bad had happened would be just fine.  I suspect their crime scene training isn't all that different than what we tell our ground teams to do if they find an airplane crash site. 

If that is the only thing keeping CAP out of the woods, its just ridiculous.

Duke Dillio

It's just a big political thing.  CAP was the only search and rescue agency in Oregon that did not participate in the search for Kyron and there are a few sheriffs that consider us to be "amateurs" or "civilians" with no knowledge or skill.  There are others who would love to have us help them but they had no idea we still existed or what we were capable of.  This is not just inherent to Oregon either.  Other wings have the same problem.

What needs to happen is someone needs to go to each county sheriff and introduce us and our capabilities.  A lot of this nonsense occurred in the distant past.  Right now, the sheriff is the one who gets a call when an ELT goes off and we only get called when they can't find it or if they want an airplane.

Duke Dillio

Back to topic, at least they didn't play the Civil Air Patrol song......  I still have nightmares about that dang thing......

Eclipse

We had the same picture hanging in our basement when I was a kid...

((*sniff*))

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on December 04, 2011, 09:50:03 PM
Why is mission base wearing service dress? shouldn't they be in OD green?
Because back in the day....you wore service dress unless you absolutely had to wear something else.  Mission base was/is and admin job and did not require fatigues.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on December 05, 2011, 01:58:25 AM
I couldn't help but notice the hodgepodge of uniforms --- somethings never change. 

I wonder if these were real actors or actual CAP members (the acting wasn't great).
IIRC even the USAF was in a transition on flight unifors around that time.  Green, OD Gray, Blue and Orange flight suits were not that uncommon based on unit, or mission.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 06, 2011, 05:21:36 PMMission base was/is and admin job and did not require fatigues.

Exactly.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Quote from: lordmonar on December 06, 2011, 05:26:04 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 05, 2011, 01:58:25 AM
I couldn't help but notice the hodgepodge of uniforms --- somethings never change. 

I wonder if these were real actors or actual CAP members (the acting wasn't great).
IIRC even the USAF was in a transition on flight unifors around that time.  Green, OD Gray, Blue and Orange flight suits were not that uncommon based on unit, or mission.
Plus the fact that most flight suits were surplus or acquired from USAF sources. They weren't nearly as readily available as they are today. That's why a lot of the pilots wore the smurf suit when it became available.

I recall reading somewhere that orange flight suits were a hallmark of the Air Defense Command in the 60's.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Stonewall

Quote from: spacecommand on December 07, 2011, 09:10:39 AM
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=11127.0  :)

See, I told you I saw it at encampment in 1987.  I even said so back in August 2010.

Sorry man.  I think my deployment to Afghanistan erased my CAP Talk memory so I started all over again.
Serving since 1987.

spacecommand

No problem, I don't think many people read the history forum much.  Anycase I wanted to show the other video on top "Always Vigilant" video.

skipperdan

I don't understand why so many of you are missing the gist of this video.  Don't get off track talking about uniforms.  Instead, you should be mature enough to appreciate the coordination between CAP and other organizations.  As the Emergency Services Training Officer, I used this video about two weeks ago at our weekly meeting and we had some good discussions.

Stonewall

Nothing to see here.  Was researching and hit quote....
Serving since 1987.

Blundell, Fred - Lt Colonel

I enjoyed your find and distributed it to our Squadron membership as well as the Texas Wing Chief of Staff.
Good job!

Lt Colonel Fred Blundell
Deputy Commander
Texas 129th Fort Worth Senior Squadron
Mecham International Airport, Fort Worth, Texas