Main Menu

CAP Independent Study

Started by SARsarge, October 19, 2011, 04:04:23 AM

SARsarge

Hi!

One of my cadets is leaving to an overseas base with his family, and there is no CAP unit at that base. I read in 52-16 and another reg that there is an independent study program for cadets in this sort of situation, but I can't find much else. Anyone else know anything about this?

Thanks!
~SARsarge  8)

arajca

Contact the National CP Team.

or wait for Ned to show up here.

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: SARsarge on October 19, 2011, 04:04:23 AM
Hi!

One of my cadets is leaving to an overseas base with his family, and there is no CAP unit at that base. I read in 52-16 and another reg that there is an independent study program for cadets in this sort of situation, but I can't find much else. Anyone else know anything about this?

Thanks!
~SARsarge  8)

There is a chance I may be going to China... So if you ever get any info, would be great if you posted on here.  ;)

johnnyb47

52-16 says specifically:
Quote1-5. Cadets Temporarily Living Abroad. Cadets who will be living overseas and wish to remain active in CAP may join an overseas unit. If an overseas unit is not available at the cadet's location, National Headquarters may allow the cadet to progress through independent study, on a case-by-case basis. Independent study is available only to cadets who will be living abroad.

I would interpret that as "have someone in your squadron run it up the Chain to NHQ for approval".
Of course with online safety training, online Aerospace and Leadership modules/tests and email to and from the home squadron these days i'm not sure there would be much of an issue.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

MSG Mac

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on October 28, 2011, 03:15:15 AM
Hi!

Thanks!
~SARsarge  8)

There is a chance I may be going to China... So if you ever get any info, would be great if you posted on here.  ;)
With the restrictions and censorship of e-mail and the internet in China, you may have a problem doing the Independent study
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Spaceman3750

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 28, 2011, 05:28:37 PM
Quote from: ElectricPenguin on October 28, 2011, 03:15:15 AM
Hi!

Thanks!
~SARsarge  8)

With the restrictions and censorship of e-mail and the internet in China, you may have a problem doing the Independent study

With encryption banned in China, there's no way to get to www.capnhq.gov because it uses SSL encryption.

johnnyb47

I thought the Encryption laws were specific to servers IN China. It's not so much a ban on SSL encryption as it is a set of laws on general encryption within their borders that specify the encrypting entity must designate a local appointee to hand over the encryption keys to the government whenever they are asked. because of that No one bothers to even try and SSL Encrypt anything on a server in China as the rules are too confusing and punishment too harsh to deal with.

Of course China has a habbit of blocking sites whenever they please.... some just BECAUSE of the SSL encryption... but those are, for the most part all search engines. I could be wrong though.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us