Main Menu

BDU Belt

Started by zonaman, August 09, 2011, 01:26:35 AM

zonaman

I have cadets in my squadron that wear the old style BDU belt (the thin blue one), and there is cadets and seniors that wear the black BDU belt. (the same kind the military uses).

I cant seem to find in the 39-1 what belt is ok.

I know this might be a dumb question . . . so be nice. . . AW! what the heck rip into me if you want I can take it. >:D

SarDragon

I haven't seen anything that allows rigger belts to be worn with BDUs.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Fig 4-6, Men's and Women's CAP Distinctive Blue Field Uniform9. Any plain dark blue or black woven cotton web belt may be worn.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Table 4-7, Men's and Women's CAP Field Uniform9. Any plain dark blue or black woven cotton web belt may be worn.

All of the rigger belts I've seen are nylon, and wider than the standard 1 1/4 inch dark blue belt.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 2-3. Men's and Women's Battle Dress Uniforms3 Belt and Buckle Dark blue, 1 1/4-inch woven cotton web, solid or woven elastic belt
with black metal tip end and plain (open faced) black buckle. Black tip
may extend up to 1 inch beyond the buckle, facing to the wearer's left
(men) or facing wearer's right or left (women).

No black belts with the woodland camouflage BDU.

Though I would not be adverse to this personally.
Mike Johnston

Майор Хаткевич

I've seen people wear the 1.5" belts. They seem to be much better at holding up the pants.

HGjunkie

I wear a rigger belt only in the field while using my thigh rig. It's black, and holds up extremely well. I believe it's 1.5 inches. Back at squadron I wear the standard blue belt.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AngelWings

At the squadron and field level, who cares? Seriously, has ling has you not showing up with pink desert boots and a pink beret, I could care less. It isn't even visibile half the time anyway. I don't wear one, but I'm not going to bust somebodies cookies over it at the meeting level, and definately not at the field/bivouac level.

♠SARKID♠

I wear a black Uncle Mike's L.E Instructor Belt.  It's a 1.5 inch nylon belt with a PVC core.  Stays tight and doesn't roll or bend.

The cotton ones are junk IMHO.  For those of us who live on a higher donut diet, the cotton will stretch and roll.  The buckles always rusted out too.

Major Carrales

A pistol belt and other items of use with BDUs for ground team and other ES work seems like items not covered by CAPM 39-1 because they are gear and not uniform items.   While I recommend the OD green webgear et al...honestly, if a cadet needs to hold a canteen for hydration purposes and uses a piece of rope with a water bottle from Wal-Mart attached with a clove hitch it will be allowed.

Honestly, people, gear is not a uniform item.

Now, the manual is pretty clear on what should be holding up one's trousers.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Littleguy on August 09, 2011, 03:34:42 AM
At the squadron and field level, who cares? Seriously, has ling has you not showing up with pink desert boots and a pink beret, I could care less. It isn't even visibile half the time anyway. I don't wear one, but I'm not going to bust somebodies cookies over it at the meeting level, and definately not at the field/bivouac level.

Because the regs say to wear the regular sized one, blue or black depending on uniform.

Remember integrity? This is one of those issues.

AngelWings

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 09, 2011, 07:38:52 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on August 09, 2011, 03:34:42 AM

Because the regs say to wear the regular sized one, blue or black depending on uniform.

Remember integrity? This is one of those issues.
I get what you are saying. But remember, integrity makes me not want to get in a pointless arguement and come off has an a**, and the other person keep doing what they are doing anyways.

DakRadz

Littleguy,

Integrity means YOU do what is right. So if the other person knows they're wrong and still won't change, then no, there isn't much you can do as a lower-enlisted cadet. But you personally should still do the right thing as much as possible, and it will take you far.

AngelWings

Quote from: DakRadz on August 09, 2011, 02:50:18 PM
Littleguy,

Integrity means YOU do what is right. So if the other person knows they're wrong and still won't change, then no, there isn't much you can do as a lower-enlisted cadet. But you personally should still do the right thing as much as possible, and it will take you far.
I do the right things. I don't see why I'm getting comments about integrity, has if I have a lack of, over a small belt topic. I'm mean, come on. Nobody here even knows who I am or what I've done, except for one member.

manfredvonrichthofen

I wear a rigger belt, one with a tether link, one of our cadets wears the same thing, and it came up in discussion a few weeks ago for the same reason. I don't know how much the Reg belt costs locally, but they cost 8.60 on VG, not much right? If you take into consideration that you have to wait for shipping and then they don't hold up all that great, especially not compared to a rigger belt, and you look at the price of a rigger belt locally and see that they cost 15.00ish there is no more comparison needed, so it was dropped for the sake of ease of access and the durability for those of us that participate in ES actively. My belt I know is much much more that 15.00 probably about 50.00, but I got lucky and got mine from the Army while doing Air Assault on a weekly basis, otherwise I would wear a plain rigger belt over the Reg belt as well. This does not have anything to do with integrity being that it was never an intentionally hidden item, were you trying to hide the fact that you were wearing a different belt, then there is a problem with integrity.

Little Guy,

That is a respect problem as well as an integrity problem. You shouldn't try to intentionally hide who you are or what you do from your fellow members. It is just not right on many wave lengths.

EDIT: Not made clear, but the cadet that has a rigger belt has a standard belt, not an AASLT belt.

AngelWings

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 09, 2011, 03:24:35 PM
I wear a rigger belt, one with a tether link, one of our cadets wears the same thing, and it came up in discussion a few weeks ago for the same reason. I don't know how much the Reg belt costs locally, but they cost 8.60 on VG, not much right? If you take into consideration that you have to wait for shipping and then they don't hold up all that great, especially not compared to a rigger belt, and you look at the price of a rigger belt locally and see that they cost 15.00ish there is no more comparison needed, so it was dropped for the sake of ease of access and the durability for those of us that participate in ES actively. My belt I know is much much more that 15.00 probably about 50.00, but I got lucky and got mine from the Army while doing Air Assault on a weekly basis, otherwise I would wear a plain rigger belt over the Reg belt as well. This does not have anything to do with integrity being that it was never an intentionally hidden item, were you trying to hide the fact that you were wearing a different belt, then there is a problem with integrity.

Little Guy,

That is a respect problem as well as an integrity problem. You shouldn't try to intentionally hide who you are or what you do from your fellow members. It is just not right on many wave lengths.

EDIT: Not made clear, but the cadet that has a rigger belt has a standard belt, not an AASLT belt.
If that cadet is me, then no. I don't own any belt other than blue web belt that is in the books.  If it isn't, than sorry, disregard what I just said.
I keep my identidity and what I do pretty locked up so only one or two people know who I am on this forum, so mainly I can have agreements and disagreements with people without having to have people think it is a squadron reflection, and so an interviewer for something like a university doesn't find a thing that he personally disagrees with me and not accept me in to the university I want to go to, when it comes time for that. I witnessed this morning a huge assumption that I lack integrity and the basic meaning of the word, over a belt topic that I'm mearly saying is so miniscual that I'm not going to get to waste my time thinking about it if I see it at the meeting/field level. If I saw it an event like a parade or WAA, I'd tell the person that they should have a blue belt on when mingling with the public and other squadrons. That is what has me going.

Major Lord

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 09, 2011, 05:20:54 AM
A pistol belt and other items of use with BDUs for ground team and other ES work seems like items not covered by CAPM 39-1 because they are gear and not uniform items.   While I recommend the OD green webgear et al...honestly, if a cadet needs to hold a canteen for hydration purposes and uses a piece of rope with a water bottle from Wal-Mart attached with a clove hitch it will be allowed.

Honestly, people, gear is not a uniform item.

Now, the manual is pretty clear on what should be holding up one's trousers.

Sparky,

I think we are talking about the belt that holds up your pants, not a pistol web belt. For actual field use, I wear a Blackhawk riggers belt. While being clipped into a line wearing one of these is not exactly pleasant, it can save your life, or act as a belay point should you need to use a rope in some unforeseen fashion....Officers running around in public in a T-shirt and BDU trousers should be under pretty exceptional circumstances only, so no one should no what kind of belt you are wearing anyway! Cadets wear the BDU/T-shirt combo a lot, and unless they are high speed, back woods GTM's, I don't see why they should wear anything but the issue belt. Safety gear is a whole other story. 39-1 does not say you should wear hearing protectors, but 39-1 is not the controlling regulation for safety gear.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

DakRadz

I had a huge THING written up, and I realized the great role models of old already covered this very situation.

Quote from: General George S. Patton, United States ArmyOfficers who fail to perform their duty by correcting small violations and in enforcing proper conduct are incapable of leading.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DakRadz on August 09, 2011, 04:48:00 PM
I had a huge THING written up, and I realized the great role models of old already covered this very situation.

Quote from: General George S. Patton, United States ArmyOfficers who fail to perform their duty by correcting small violations and in enforcing proper conduct are incapable of leading.

If we follow through, historically, then we would be wearing ties with our BDUs as Patton mandated that off all officers for their then field uniforms.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

GroundHawg

There is a guy on ebay who did a blue rigger belt for me. Awesome quality and only $20.

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 09, 2011, 05:56:08 PM

If we follow through, historically, then we would be wearing ties with our BDUs as Patton mandated that off all officers for their then field uniforms.
Sorry, but that is a failure in logic. Enforcing proper discipline has little to do with Patton requiring ties for the officers in his day. Field uniforms in that day were far different than the utilities we have now. Even Patton would have updated for the times at hand.

As far as belts go, the manual is clear on what is required to be worn. I would simply say that if you're not wearing a 39-1 legal belt, don't take your shirt off.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 09, 2011, 05:56:08 PM

Patton was also considered to be a good "subordinate" commander as opposed to a top leader. I'm thinking I can find more examples of GOOD leaders who say they would rather their people do their jobs than what they wear.

In fact, the special forces (of all flavors), wear pretty much whatever they want. But they rock at their jobs.