New ES Patch --need help posting the picture

Started by zonaman, July 12, 2011, 10:43:29 AM

AngelWings

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 14, 2011, 03:49:08 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on July 14, 2011, 12:46:58 PMHere is a set of DCU's to show. I've seen units that are attached to the army wear the flag on the shoulder in BDU's like we do here in CAP.
My post didn't address flags, only patches worn over the nametape. I related my own experience on that.

That being said, flags were sometimes worn on BDUs by Air Force when deployed, sometimes they weren't. It seemed so inconsistent that I don't even know what the policy actually was.

The Army wore when deployed so consistently that they just mandated it on the ACU. Since just about everyone was going to be deployed, it was a perfectly reasonable addition to the latest utility uniform.
Oops, I was just going for zonaman, my bad.

GroundHawg

My last deployment I wore ACU's with a IR flag patch as USAF. I havent hit 100 posts yet or I would attach a photo.

Hawk200

Quote from: GroundHawg on July 15, 2011, 07:40:51 PM
My last deployment I wore ACU's with a IR flag patch as USAF. I havent hit 100 posts yet or I would attach a photo.
I've got one of those still. Turns out it's on my issue list. Never wore it, so they won't have any problem reissuing it.

afgeo4

Quote from: MIKE on July 14, 2011, 02:35:15 AM
Quote from: zonaman on July 14, 2011, 02:28:49 AM
Since we are talking about patches and badges . . .

Can anyone tell me why the flag patch is still on our uniform. I love and respect our flag, but it's not part of the regular AF uniform that I know of. I know it's there so we are not mixed up with the Mexican Army (T.P.). I'm just surprised it was never removed when the " US Civil Air Patrol" tapes were axed.

Oh snap, a flag on an Air Force uniform!

Oh snap! That's NOT an Air Force uniform. That's an Army uniform with USAF insignia because the person wearing it is attached to an Army unit and is authorized (I hope) to wear it. Although I'm pretty sure I read regs that prohibit any airmen, including combat airment from wearing other branch's uniforms past ABU rollout. Either way, that's not an Air Force uniform.
GEORGE LURYE

MIKE

Wrong George... Go update yourself on the policy on OCP for USAF units in the 'stan.  You could start where the picture comes from.
Mike Johnston

afgeo4

Quote from: lordmonar on July 14, 2011, 07:40:50 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 14, 2011, 03:49:08 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on July 14, 2011, 12:46:58 PMHere is a set of DCU's to show. I've seen units that are attached to the army wear the flag on the shoulder in BDU's like we do here in CAP.
My post didn't address flags, only patches worn over the nametape. I related my own experience on that.

That being said, flags were sometimes worn on BDUs by Air Force when deployed, sometimes they weren't. It seemed so inconsistent that I don't even know what the policy actually was.

The Army wore when deployed so consistently that they just mandated it on the ACU. Since just about everyone was going to be deployed, it was a perfectly reasonable addition to the latest utility uniform.
Correction: Combat Airmen attached to Army units WERE allowed to wear full Army uniforms with USAF markings. They aren't anymore. Once issued ABU, an airman, including combat airmen, must wear the ABU and not the sister service's uniform. That includes Special Tactics, Pararescue, Combat Weather, TACP, TCC, everyone. Now, do they follow those regs? That's another story.
Units/members directly attacked to ARMY units are allowed to wear their uniforms or wear USAF uniforms in ARMY configuaration.
Hence the flag on athe multicams and the combat unit patch on USAF uniforms.

Back in my Bosnia Days.....everyone deploying on the AEF wore a U.S. Flag.  The USAF made us take it off when back in garrison.  The Army just decided to wear it all the time.

The Flag on the CAP uniform came after katrina.  Lots of rumors of why...which I will not repeat.....but there it is.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: MIKE on July 16, 2011, 02:27:00 AM
Wrong George... Go update yourself on the policy on OCP for USAF units in the 'stan.  You could start where the picture comes from.
I stand corrected. As of March, all Airmen deploying to Afghanistan are wearing multi-cam.
GEORGE LURYE

Buzz

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 13, 2011, 06:29:05 AM
Do we really need an emergency services patch of any kind at all?

We could go all the way, and adopt the PRC People's Liberation Army standard of not having any insignia whatsoever.

The standard didn't work.

So, YES, we need an ES patch.  If nothing else, when non-CAP types see the words "Emergency Services" they get an instant impression that maybe we're not Boy Scouts.

I like Pluto better than the T-34, but either one is good.

davidsinn

Quote from: Buzz on July 17, 2011, 07:12:08 PM

We could go all the way, and adopt the PRC People's Liberation Army standard of not having any insignia whatsoever.

So, YES, we need an ES patch.  If nothing else, when non-CAP types see the words "Emergency Services" they get an instant impression that maybe we're not Boy Scouts.

The public isn't smart enough to read the bright white on blue nametapes to know we're not in the Army. What makes you think they'd read the ES patch with even smaller text and actually comprehend it?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: afgeo4 on July 16, 2011, 02:32:23 AM
Quote from: MIKE on July 16, 2011, 02:27:00 AM
I stand corrected. As of March, all Airmen deploying to Afghanistan are wearing multi-cam.

Some special operations units in Pararescue and a few others have been wearing multicam for about two years. When I was looking at officer jobs in the Air Force on their webpage last year it had a picture of a Combat Operations Officer wearing multicam in a Pavehawk. Obviously its not practical and waaay to friggin expensive, but CAP=Multicam, I'd be cool with that ;) Haha, if we ever switch to ABU's, it will only be because the Air Force switched to Multicam  ;)
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

Eclipse

Quote from: Buzz on July 17, 2011, 07:12:08 PMSo, YES, we need an ES patch.  If nothing else, when non-CAP types see the words "Emergency Services" they get an instant impression that maybe we're not Boy Scouts.

Non-CAP people don't need to know what we're doing and certainly won't learn from the patch. 

In most cases, if you're in with the masses, you're wearing a vest over the shirt anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chief2009

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 17, 2011, 11:43:21 PM
Obviously its not practical and waaay to friggin expensive, but CAP=Multicam, I'd be cool with that ;) Haha, if we ever switch to ABU's, it will only be because the Air Force switched to Multicam  ;)

Oh god, not again.
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

zonaman

Quote from: Chief2009 on July 18, 2011, 01:37:29 AM
Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 17, 2011, 11:43:21 PM
Obviously its not practical and waaay to friggin expensive, but CAP=Multicam, I'd be cool with that ;) Haha, if we ever switch to ABU's, it will only be because the Air Force switched to Multicam  ;)

Oh god, not again.

this makes me laugh . . .

lordmonar

Like the BDU's is not a dead give away.

:(
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ol'fido

Quote from: lordmonar on July 19, 2011, 02:55:01 AM

Plus the fact that you shouldn't be acting like the Boy Scouts. Professionalism is combination of appearance, demeanor, and demonstrated competence. It's not what you've got plastered on your uniform. You can look like a recruiting poster with all the doodads sewn on, starched BDUs, and spit shined boots and still prove yourself to be a boob the first time you open your mouth.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: ol'fido on July 19, 2011, 09:42:35 PM

Plus the fact that you shouldn't be acting like the Boy Scouts. Professionalism is combination of appearance, demeanor, and demonstrated competence. It's not what you've got plastered on your uniform. You can look like a recruiting poster with all the doodads sewn on, starched BDUs, and spit shined boots and still prove yourself to be a boob the first time you open your mouth.
And that happens a heck of a lot in CAP. Though, usually, without the starch or spit-shine. The patch is redundant, so why wear it? My ops quals are on the other side of my chest. Just look over there. You don't see anyone in Ma Blue wearing their wings on one side and "AIR FORCE AVIATION" on the other side in a big, red-white-and-blue patch with a T-38 or Donald Duck on it.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

afgeo4

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 20, 2011, 06:32:21 PM

And that happens a heck of a lot in CAP. Though, usually, without the starch or spit-shine. The patch is redundant, so why wear it? My ops quals are on the other side of my chest. Just look over there. You don't see anyone in Ma Blue wearing their wings on one side and "AIR FORCE AVIATION" on the other side in a big, red-white-and-blue patch with a T-38 or Donald Duck on it.

I'm a fully ES qualified MSA and working on MRO. The patch is the only authorized uniform identification of my qualifications in ES. Going by your logic, we should just eliminate the GT badge and simply authorize ALL ES qualified personnel to wear the patch. No need for redundancy, right?
GEORGE LURYE

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: afgeo4 on July 23, 2011, 07:20:38 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 20, 2011, 06:32:21 PM

I'm a fully ES qualified MSA and working on MRO. The patch is the only authorized uniform identification of my qualifications in ES. Going by your logic, we should just eliminate the GT badge and simply authorize ALL ES qualified personnel to wear the patch. No need for redundancy, right?

Nope, not at all. If you're a mission radio operator, do you not have a communications badge? Communications is an operational component of CAP, and even if you're not 101 qualified, chances are, you've supported a mission as a radio op.

And my logic isn't that we should wipe out everything and use the dog or the plane patches. It's that the qualifications we wear elsewhere make that patch redundant, if not useless. Wear your communications insignia or your ground-team badge well. Leave the multicolor, silly patches on the Boy Scout sash.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

arajca

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 24, 2011, 04:10:31 AM
Nope, not at all. If you're a mission radio operator, do you not have a communications badge? Communications is an operational component of CAP, and even if you're not 101 qualified, chances are, you've supported a mission as a radio op.
The Comm Badge is awarded for completing the Technician rating of the Communcations Officer Specialty trach, not for being an MRO. Serving in a communications position as a radio operator is only one part of the specialty track. Cadets can be awarded the badge as they can complete all aspects of the Technician rating.

ol'fido

Like I said earlier, we need to eliminate the Comm patch and the ES patch and replace them with ES qual badges. So we would have aeronautical badges, ES badges, and specialty track badges. GES would not have a badge but as soon as you get any ES qual you could qualify for a badge in MBS, GT/GBD, Comm, Aircrew(gives us MS something to wear or maybe a set of wings with a "C" instead of the "O"), IC, UDF, and FL. May need to add a few more "degrees" to some of these to come up with a basic, senior, master/command format i.e. Mission Radio Operator(BCUT), Senior RO(ACUT), Master RO(CUL).  I haven't got a whole system worked out but you get the drift?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006