Main Menu

Short Stacking

Started by Zen Master Charlie, July 05, 2011, 01:05:24 AM

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: davidsinn on July 07, 2011, 03:16:24 PM
Quote from: elipod on July 07, 2011, 03:10:37 PM
How does my attitude suck? Please enlighten me. I'm not being disrespectful. I'm curious, concerned, and open to criticism.

Who said your attitude sucks? I was referring to Zen Master Charlie. He's the one that's been throwing a hissy fit when he doesn't get his way and generally acting disrespectful and arrogant.

I dont throw a hissy fit when I dont get my way... this is an internet forum, no one gets their way, everyone has an opinion. I just get frustrated when people have to ask for a citation on everything, and believe nothing that anyone says. Its arrogance is what it is. Everyone on CAPTalk thinks their right, and everyone has good points, but its only on rare occasions does everyone agree on anything. This forum is useful in some ways, but seems to get a little out of hand in others. People pulling rank and saying they are more experianced than others and telling everyone their wrong. Its kinda silly. all I can do is  :clap: those who think they can pull rank on-line  ::)  who knows, I could be a randome kid who was never in CAP, and you could be a C/AB, and he could be a C/Col, and she could be a General, and and and...  :o
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: caphistorian on July 07, 2011, 03:31:22 PM
This thread seems to have started off with a sense that we should be "embarassed" about the uniform you wear or the achievements that someone has earned and worked for. Why should anyone feel embarassed about their individual achievements, if it really bothers the person to wear their recognition for their or the groups hard earned work then the best solution would be to quit doing the work and go somewhere else. If you are embarassed when an Army Officer or anyone else demeans your achievements and work then maybe you are focusing on the wrong thing. Why should any CAP member, no matter if they are a cadet or senior be embarassed about their volunteer work and recognition. This seems like more of a personal situation than a real concern.

I follow the regs to the T per CAP regs.

One of my favorite quotes of all time "No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them", Eleanor Roosevelt

I do not consider myself any better than others when I am in a group of fellow CAP members.
I do not consider myself any less than others when I am in a group of fellow CAP members.

I would like to know; What is so embarassing about wearing what you have earned?

I respect your last comment "I do not consider..." If only everyone were like that. but ofcourse you get C/2dLt on Power trips, or former military officers who think they are god... well you get the point. If only if only.

As for the embarrasing thing, that was not the focus of my question. That was one minor factor that lead into my question. I am very proud of my ribbons, and I love showing them off, but when they are so large, they get in the way, well, they kind of annoy me. The situation where a former Col in the USAF told me I looked like a little general was a little embarrasing, no matter how you look at it, you know the real wording behind their joke was 'holy crap you guys get a lot of ribbons in CAP.' Thats what I think when I see the Young Marines!  :P  But it doesnt get to me, liek i said, one tiny factor. 

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: ProdigalJim on July 08, 2011, 01:01:22 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on July 07, 2011, 02:23:37 PM
Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 07, 2011, 06:12:40 AM
Quote from: a2capt on July 07, 2011, 04:08:32 AM
Yup.. outstanding attitude. Good luck with that.

Haha, you and Eclips just crack me up, you two are so similar. Read my response to the other poster about the whole "squatting on the toilet" thing, and become enlightened.  ;D

The fact that three different people have mentioned your attitude sucks should be a clue...

Make it four.

Cadet, you haven't said much about yourself here in this thread, but what you HAVE said ... and the behavior you've engaged in ... speaks volumes. Snidely telling someone to "become enlightened" (Especially someone to whom you would be obligated to render a salute if you encountered him in real life)? Responding to observations that you're acting like a dork by declaring it's "an Internet forum" so it's all okay? Not to mention failing to take the time and effort to respond when people have offered helpful, on-topic replies to the original post that you made, and thinking that mispellings and exclamation points compensate for poor reasoning.

You're right on one thing: David and Eclipse (that's with an 'e,' by the way, hawkeye) are indeed similar. They're adults. You are not.

I was a cadet officer just under 30 years ago. CAC, like you. Took my Earhart, too. Encampment staff. Etc. I taught cadets under my command that everyone, from C/Airman (that's with one stripe, rather than one strip) to superior officers, deserved human respect. Those who follow you will do so willingly and cheerfully if they believe in you and leadership, and one way to make that happen is to be professional IN EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR MILITARY BEARING. Declaring that you don't need to be professional here because "it's an Internet forum" is, well, unprofessional.

Oh, and there's a Code of Conduct for this little Internet forum. Here are two salient portions from it:

>>All members will respect the opinion and dignity of other members, whether or not they may be present.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and certainly discourse on varying opinions is excellent. However, members will not attack others based on their opinions and beliefs, regardless of whether they agree or not.   <<

>> Keep in mind that a certain level of professionalism must be maintained on the discussion board.  <<

You're young, and brash, and probably pretty high-speed in your unit. I get it. But go back and re-read your own posts with an open mind...consider it a Leadership exercise. Think honestly about how people might *interpret* your meaning. And then re-consider the attitude you bring to your posts here.

As they say on the radio here, "Not a sermon, just a thought."

I'm just gonna say one simple thing here. In somewyas your right, and I agree maybe some of my actions are a little over the top, but we are on an internet forum and no one can prove anyone is anyone. If I met Eclipse and he were a Col, yeah he'd get my salute and yessirs, but on here, I dont REALLY  know who he is. As for your comments about me being childish, and 'not an adult' is very hypocritial of everything you said above. I'm not accusing you or eclipse of anything. we just get in some heated discussions, who doesnt. But to insult me as you did above, thats hypocracy my friend. And shows me you have no true knowledge of what you are speaking. If you have something to say to me, you need to try again without being so insulting, and if you can do this, I will listen to what you have to say. thank you in advance.

spaatzmom

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 08, 2011, 01:58:40 AM

Haha, you and Eclips just crack me up, you two are so similar. Read my response to the other poster about the whole "squatting on the toilet" thing, and become enlightened.  ;D

The fact that three different people have mentioned your attitude sucks should be a clue...

Make it four.

Cadet, you haven't said much about yourself here in this thread, but what you HAVE said ... and the behavior you've engaged in ... speaks volumes. Snidely telling someone to "become enlightened" (Especially someone to whom you would be obligated to render a salute if you encountered him in real life)? Responding to observations that you're acting like a dork by declaring it's "an Internet forum" so it's all okay? Not to mention failing to take the time and effort to respond when people have offered helpful, on-topic replies to the original post that you made, and thinking that mispellings and exclamation points compensate for poor reasoning.

You're right on one thing: David and Eclipse (that's with an 'e,' by the way, hawkeye) are indeed similar. They're adults. You are not.

I was a cadet officer just under 30 years ago. CAC, like you. Took my Earhart, too. Encampment staff. Etc. I taught cadets under my command that everyone, from C/Airman (that's with one stripe, rather than one strip) to superior officers, deserved human respect. Those who follow you will do so willingly and cheerfully if they believe in you and leadership, and one way to make that happen is to be professional IN EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR MILITARY BEARING. Declaring that you don't need to be professional here because "it's an Internet forum" is, well, unprofessional.

Oh, and there's a Code of Conduct for this little Internet forum. Here are two salient portions from it:

>>All members will respect the opinion and dignity of other members, whether or not they may be present.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and certainly discourse on varying opinions is excellent. However, members will not attack others based on their opinions and beliefs, regardless of whether they agree or not.   <<

>> Keep in mind that a certain level of professionalism must be maintained on the discussion board.  <<

You're young, and brash, and probably pretty high-speed in your unit. I get it. But go back and re-read your own posts with an open mind...consider it a Leadership exercise. Think honestly about how people might *interpret* your meaning. And then re-consider the attitude you bring to your posts here.

I'm just gonna say one simple thing here. In somewyas your right, and I agree maybe some of my actions are a little over the top, but we are on an internet forum and no one can prove anyone is anyone. If I met Eclipse and he were a Col, yeah he'd get my salute and yessirs, but on here, I dont REALLY  know who he is. As for your comments about me being childish, and 'not an adult' is very hypocritial of everything you said above. I'm not accusing you or eclipse of anything. we just get in some heated discussions, who doesnt. But to insult me as you did above, thats hypocracy my friend. And shows me you have no true knowledge of what you are speaking. If you have something to say to me, you need to try again without being so insulting, and if you can do this, I will listen to what you have to say. thank you in advance.

WOW just WOW!!!!   What an example of the pot calling the kettle black.   This just might/ should be enough to get you suspended/ banned.  Is it really worth it to continue with the yes childish rants you have been spewing?  Only you can decide, but don't whine when it happens, just a huge warning.  I sure do hope the mods are keeping up with this, it has continued for too long.

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: spaatzmom on July 08, 2011, 02:05:52 AM

Make it four.

WOW just WOW!!!!   What an example of the pot calling the kettle black.   This just might/ should be enough to get you suspended/ banned.  Is it really worth it to continue with the yes childish rants you have been spewing?  Only you can decide, but don't whine when it happens, just a huge warning.  I sure do hope the mods are keeping up with this, it has continued for too long.

Hey now, I just call it as I see it. If I get booted, then wooptie doo... oh well. So it is. But If I get booted with the justification of pointing out that not everyone is so high and mighty as they think they are on a simple forum, atleast I can sleep at night. Now, I'm not saying this to you, but it seems to me that a lot of people dish out just as much as they call out on others. Its kinda funny honestly. But w/e, its just a forum, nothing I can do.

And I do hope the Mods are keeping up with this, and Im pretty sure they are.  I'm sorry guys If I have done anything wrong, but honestly, who hasnt. Im just as guilty as im sure dozens of other people. I started a simple forum with a simple question, and all I get is judgement and insults. Honestly why shouldnt I have the right to defend myself eh?  :o

Eclipse

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 08, 2011, 01:37:55 AM
I dont throw a hissy fit when I dont get my way...
Yes, you actually do.

this is an internet forum, no one gets their way, everyone has an opinion.
Not exactly. There are opinions and there are facts.  Any opinion is open to discussion, facts are not.  You seem to be confused on the
difference, and frustrated when people who know the program and can cite regulations get in the way of your opinions.

I just get frustrated when people have to ask for a citation on everything, and believe nothing that anyone says. Its arrogance is what it is.
No, it is how adults hold conversations, especially conversations which are about regulations, changes to them, or the ramifications when they
are ignored.

People pulling rank and saying they are more experianced than others and telling everyone their wrong. Its kinda silly. all I can do is  those who think they can pull rank on-line  who knows, I could be a randome kid who was never in CAP, and you could be a C/AB, and he could be a C/Col, and she could be a General, and and and... 

Unfortunately that is not true in your case.  You identified yourself personally, by name, as a Cadet Captain in the Civil Air Patrol.  Further, you
indicate you have been in CAP since 2005, but appear to have self-leveled at that grade.   You are no longer anonymous, whether you would like to
think you are or not.  As a cadet, you have the right to your opinion, but do not have nearly the experience or understanding of the program
as a whole, or the responsibility of running activities and being personally responsible for the lives and well-being of those under your command
as most of the seniors on this forum.  There are seniors on this board who have been retired from CAP longer than you have been a member.

As a cadet in CAP, you are bound to respect your superiors, senior members, and in general comport yourself with the dignity of your grade
and the uniform.  This is not the Halo Forums, and if you are uncomfortable with that reality, it might be time to disengage, again.

This forum is generally under-represented by cadets, and many of us value the opinions of cadets who understand how to interact with adults
in adult conversations, and within the general expectations of CAP.  The problem is the occasional cadet who believes he somehow "knows better"
than the officers and former members on this board and is intent on making sure we all know "how much better" he " knows".

You can stamp your feet, yell it is unfair, and insist the internet isn't the "real world", but like it or not, it is. You should be aware that on more than a few occasions there have been ramifications to behavior here in real life for both seniors and cadets.  Commanders do not generally appreciate their members, especially cadets, representing their units in a way which is disrespectful or childish.

You, and everyone else, have a right to your opinion. Opinions, however, do not go very far when they are contradicted by facts quoted by or from
an authoritative source.  Instead of whining about everyone asking for citations, provide some yourself.  Actually research a topic before
guessing, and provide links to the citations.  This site is an educational tool for a lot of people who do not post here but refer to it for
current info and background on why things are as they are.

Or don't.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I soooo... want to send that up his chain, so his leadership can see this attitude.

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on July 08, 2011, 01:34:37 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 08, 2011, 01:27:52 AM
Quote from: titanII on July 07, 2011, 07:55:29 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on July 07, 2011, 07:39:43 PM
Sir, the Young Marines do it.   :P
And I think it looks silly. Also I would question the purpose of wearing dress uniform articles on your utility uniform. One wouldn't wear a tie or a service cap with BDU's.

That is the only uniform that Young Marines wear IIRC.  So they have a field version and a non field version.  Not that I agree with it....but it is not like the YM's are sporting ribbons while they are out doing the compass course or doing PT.

Just so you know.
Actually, I saw them wearing their ribbons on their bdus while working at a disaster scene.
Wow....I stand corrected.....well there you go.....CAP is not the biggest bunch of doobs around....and I youed tot hing the YM's were squared away.  :P
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 05, 2011, 01:05:24 AMbtw this is my first time back to CAPTalk in years, I elected to leave after people were chewing me out and being extremely rude, so I'm giving the forum a try again, I hope i get some positive feedback... it ceases to amaze me how rude some people can be on here...  ???  But I know there's a few good souls out there!  :P

I say we pass it up the chain.

Mr....I know everything, and you can't tell me to shut up....I don't care how long you have been doing this...I don't care if you are a frikking retired Major General.....I don't care what anyone says.......It's the Internet I say!....You can't prove a thing........has been warned.  He evidently is a repeat offender.

And he is more intrested in yelling at people instead of defending his position on the topic at hand.

spaatzmom

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 08, 2011, 02:14:13 AM

Make it four.

Hey now, I just call it as I see it. If I get booted, then wooptie doo... oh well. So it is. But If I get booted with the justification of pointing out that not everyone is so high and mighty as they think they are on a simple forum, atleast I can sleep at night. Now, I'm not saying this to you, but it seems to me that a lot of people dish out just as much as they call out on others. Its kinda funny honestly. But w/e, its just a forum, nothing I can do.

And I do hope the Mods are keeping up with this, and Im pretty sure they are.  I'm sorry guys If I have done anything wrong, but honestly, who hasnt. Im just as guilty as im sure dozens of other people. I started a simple forum with a simple question, and all I get is judgement and insults. Honestly why shouldnt I have the right to defend myself eh?  :o

Good luck with your future if you continue with your entitlement attitude.  The world owes you nothing.  Life is what you make out of it.  If you cannot properly debate here how can you expect to become an accomplished member of society?  Or do you expect to top out at flipping burgers for a career?

a2capt

Whats amusing here is, this cadet just represented his region as part of the Rocky Mountain Region drill team at NCC. By his own admission in this thread.

These teams are, in theory, compromised of the some of the top cadets in the program at the time.

jimmydeanno

Can we move on yet?  Seriously?  I'm pretty sure there's a PM feature to this forum.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

titanII

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 08, 2011, 03:22:47 AM

Can we move on yet?  Seriously?  I'm pretty sure there's a PM feature to this forum.
+1, although you threw me for a loop with those dogs :D

Quote from: lordmonar on July 08, 2011, 01:27:52 AM
That is the only uniform that Young Marines wear IIRC.  So they have a field version and a non field version.
Just so you know.
Oh, thank you. I didn't know that. I guess that makes a bit more sense. Not that I like it, though... >:D
No longer active on CAP talk

The CyBorg is destroyed

It is, and they have, thank God.

I hope it will be a bit of a wakeup call for this young man, especially given that as a CAP cadet, he would have to salute Eclipse, Ned, myself or any senior officer, or any military commissioned/warrant officer.

Of course, when I was a kid I thought I knew it all too...now in middle age I increasingly realise daily how much I DON'T know.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on July 08, 2011, 03:11:58 PMOf course, when I was a kid I thought I knew it all too...now in middle age I increasingly realise daily how much I DON'T know.

The paradox of age - those who know things don't have the energy to do anything about it.

"That Others May Zoom"

ColonelJack

I've discovered that young men and women today have all the answers.  They don't know what any of the questions are, but they have all the answers.

;D  Jus' kiddin' folks.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

davidsinn

Quote from: ColonelJack on July 09, 2011, 05:44:56 PM
I've discovered that young men and women today have all the answers.  They don't know what any of the questions are, but they have all the answers.

;D  Jus' kiddin' folks.

Jack

Speaking as a relatively young person I'd have to say that I resemble that remark. It's amazing how much smarter my elders get as the years go on. ;-)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

And the really sad part is...that we start off trying to be nice......getting into the youngsters grill in an attempt to keep him from stepping on his gonads in a "real" situation....but they see us as just being mean, crochety old farts, who don't want to listen.

:P

Now sometimes....we are......Mean, crochety old farts who don't want to listen.....I mean....who does that young snot think he is...I've been doing this since Moses was a cadet!   :)

elipod

Quote from: lordmonar on July 09, 2011, 05:54:39 PM
I've been doing this since Moses was a cadet!   :)

Haha, that's a quotable quote :)
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: lordmonar on July 09, 2011, 05:54:39 PM
And the really sad part is...that we start off trying to be nice......getting into the youngsters grill in an attempt to keep him from stepping on his gonads in a "real" situation....but they see us as just being mean, crochety old farts, who don't want to listen.

:P

Now sometimes....we are......Mean, crochety old farts who don't want to listen.....I mean....who does that young snot think he is...I've been doing this since Moses was a cadet!   :)

As a cadet who has not stepped on any toes and respected opinions no matter the person (at least I hope), I resent this comment. However, I know that you guys are just trying to help. And I thank you for that.

Also, as a cadet that has seen this happen too many time on here, I am tired of the cadets that misrepresent us.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander