Cadence

Started by sdcadet, January 06, 2007, 02:28:46 AM

sdcadet

Just the other night at our meeting, I was instructing some of our squadron's new cadets on how to drill. When drilling them around, I had a fellow cadet come up to me and tell me that CAP does not use the cadence of "Lep, Lep, Lep, Right, Lep" because that is not Air Force. Is this so? I've known this as one of the options ever since I was basic.

Thanks to any who respond!

MIKE

Quote from: AFMAN 36-22032.5.1. The instructor counts cadence to acquaint students with cadence rhythm. When trainees get out of
step, the instructor either corrects them by counting cadence or halts the element and then moves them
off in step. Counting cadence helps teach coordination and rhythm. Cadence is given in sets of two as
follows: HUT, TOOP, THREEP, FOURP; HUT, TOOP, THREEP, FOURP. To help keep in step,
unit members should keep the head up and watch the head and shoulders of the person directly in front
of them.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

OTOH, any reasonable cadence that serves to keep the [marching unit] in step will work just fine. The D&C manual method probably works best in the first three or four training periods, but a little variety after that is usually good for esprit de corps.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

If it's part of a Jodie or something I'm OK with it... but I do think you should learn and practice by the numbers.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Quote from: MIKE on January 06, 2007, 03:14:08 AM
If it's part of a Jodie or something I'm OK with it... but I do think you should learn and practice by the numbers.

If you reread my post, I said:

QuoteThe D&C manual method probably works best in the first three or four training periods,

By the numbers, IMHO, is an entirely different training tool.

Quote from: AFMAN 36-22031.6.3. BY THE NUMBERS is the method in which precision movements of two or more counts are
demonstrated, practiced, and learned--one count at a time.

Hence, your written by the numbers, and what I think you meant as by the book, are similar but very different, one actually being a subset of the other.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

I meant it as a figure of speech.
Mike Johnston

DNall

Quote from: SarDragon on January 06, 2007, 02:47:55 AM
OTOH, any reasonable cadence that serves to keep the [marching unit] in step will work just fine. The D&C manual method probably works best in the first three or four training periods, but a little variety after that is usually good for esprit de corps.

Within reason, just so we aren't playing games & dstracting young minds at a time when we're learning somethign for the express purpose of gaining understanding of attention to detail, discipline, professionalism, yada yada... you know what I'm saying? If I'm trying to make drill fun cause it's boring & we have to do it for an hour a night, then so many things are wrong with that it's not even funny. If my eye is on the ultimate purpose(s) behind learning drill in the first place, then within reason I want them to have high espit & understand the concept of team. Balance & stick to the purpose is all I'm saying. As long as I go thru that thought process & determine it's a helpful thing to do then I'm good with it.

Just so you know by the way... The original intent behind jodies, at least as I learned it, was to distract the upper mind so your muscle memory could take over & you could follow commands on instinct w/o thinking, and do so while distracted. Kinda stop you from over-thinking what you're doing & get you standing on top the competence you've gained. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's one way to look at it I guess.

mprokosch11

SDCadet,

I have the same job as you. I find that the new cadets learn better and faster with what your doing not. I tryed the manuel's cadence and they gave me a blank stare.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

MIKE

Quote from: penguinmaster113 on January 06, 2007, 03:15:44 PM
I have the same job as you. I find that the new cadets learn better and faster with what your doing not. I tryed the manuel's cadence and they gave me a blank stare.

Have the same issue, but what you need to do when that happens is to keep at doing it IAW AFMAN 36-2203...  If you do it another way because it's easier nobody learns the right way.
Mike Johnston