Practices for Senior Members

Started by CAP4117, June 13, 2011, 09:57:24 PM

CAP4117

I am a new senior member with no military experience, and I have had a question ever since I joined a few months ago. In my squadron, the senior members don't salute each other or use sir/ma'am. However, when I went to an FTX for the first time, I noticed that some senior members adhered to the customs and courtesies very strictly and some seemed to completely ignore them. I was left not knowing what to do. The last thing I would want is to cause someone disrespect - I have utmost respect for CAP traditions - but at the same time, I know that doing it when we're not supposed to is a little silly.
What is the "norm" for senior members? What general practice should I follow for activities outside my squadron?
And, sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, I wasn't sure where it should go.
Any help would be appreciated!

RiverAux

Do what it says to do in the Level 1 course regarding customs and courtesies.  You'll always be right and those that don't follow them will always be wrong. 

JC004

That about sums it up but I would add that it is ESPECIALLY important for you to observe them AROUND cadets with other SMs, NOT just in cadet interactions.

Even if other people are wrong, you should set an example for their sake.  They will have a greater respect for you for doing that.  BELIEVE ME, as a former cadet, we noticed when SMs did this.  We talked about it and we took note.

Dad2-4

Quote from: RiverAux on June 13, 2011, 10:08:36 PM
Do what it says to do in the Level 1 course regarding customs and courtesies.  You'll always be right and those that don't follow them will always be wrong.
+1
In my former aquadron we had a mix of SM use of customs and courtesies. Most veterans used them, some veterans did not. Some non-veterans used them, most did not. Do what RiverAux suggests and you can't go wrong.

titanII

You will never be wrong by following the correct customs & courtesies. You will always be wrong by failing to do so. As an added bonus, following C & C's while around those that don't will make them look like fools and you'll look better >:D
No longer active on CAP talk

Camas

Quote from: titanII on June 13, 2011, 11:38:59 PM
You will never be wrong by following the correct customs & courtesies. You will always be wrong by failing to do so. As an added bonus, following C & C's while around those that don't will make them look like fools and you'll look better >:D
Quote from: JC004 on June 13, 2011, 10:28:28 PM
That about sums it up but I would add that it is ESPECIALLY important for you to observe them AROUND cadets with other SMs, NOT just in cadet interactions. Even if other people are wrong, you should set an example for their sake.  They will have a greater respect for you for doing that.  BELIEVE ME, as a former cadet, we noticed when SMs did this.  We talked about it and we took note.

I totally agree. Check out CAPP 151; that resource should answer your concerns.

CAP4117

Thanks everyone!
On a related note, after the FTX a major came over so that our team leader could give him a report of what we did. Our team was comprised of myself and two cadets. When the major came over, the cadets stood at attention until he said "at ease." Was I supposed to, or is that just a cadet thing?
Thanks!

Eclipse

You were supposed to (assuming you were either lower in grade, or he was your commander).

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

In the most technically correct way....when the Major approched your group you should have called them to attention and then saluted for the group.

Seniors, just like Active Duty, tend to get "lax" about customs and courtisies.
Most of it depends on the situaiton.

A point of advice is to find a CP guy or an older cadet and have him/her teach you all the ins and outs of C&Cs.

At your home squadron do what you think is right.....don't be a doosh about it.....but don't comprosmise your integrity.

You will find that most will either just go with it (i.e. ignore you) or they will start doing C&C's as well.

If someone takes exception to you for following the rules and tries to bring you to task.....you can ignore them (hopefully) and know what kind of officer they really are.

Like I said......if you follow the proper protocol....most others will either follow you lead (this by the way is how 2d Lts and Airman Basic show leadership).

Don't complain or make too much stink about other SM not following the rules...as like I said in a pure SM to SM enviornment we tend to ignore a lot of those C&C among ourselves.   I would say use your best judgement.....but as you are new and don't know the rules yet.....I again suggest you find a senior cadet or someone who works with cadets and/or someone you think knows the C&C rules and have them teach you what is right.....and maybe explain when and who the rules can be relaxed.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CAP4117

Thanks for the advice!
I'm not trying to complain at all, though - whatever the norm is, I'll gladly follow it. I just want to know what to do so I don't offend anyone  :)

lordmonar

Quote from: CAP4117 on June 14, 2011, 07:05:12 PM
Thanks for the advice!
I'm not trying to complain at all, though - whatever the norm is, I'll gladly follow it. I just want to know what to do so I don't offend anyone  :)

Don't sweat it.  Usually the main people senior members offend are cadets.....they are always grousing about how "Seniors don't do it right".  And it is true.

Hence my suggestion to see a Cadet Programs guy or an older cadet to help you out.

If another senior members gets into you wheaties about not saluting him.....you have probably just found one of those "tools" we have wandering around in CAP.

Have fun....and welcome to CAP.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CAP4117

CAP4117

Just to make sure...
I was in no way criticizing my squadron. They are amazing, and I couldn't ask for a better experience so far!  :clap:

SoCalMarine

Quote from: lordmonar on June 14, 2011, 09:21:58 PM
If another senior members gets into you[r] wheaties about not saluting him.....you have probably just found one of those "tools" we have wandering around in CAP.

Yeah agreed. What I find more egregious is when senior members address each other by first name... and not even formal first names but a shortened version in front of, and to, cadets. THAT just subverts the whole process of teaching customs and courtesies and undermines the chain.