Deputy Commander for Seniors

Started by Snake Doctor, March 25, 2011, 02:07:17 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 02, 2011, 09:11:56 PM
Sounds like they "run" them to me.

Manages and directs, in this context, means he sets the agenda, turns the commanders high-level goals into workable plans, and
insures whatever is done meets the plan and the regs.

It doesn't necessarily mean he's the one expected to grab a compass and teach pace counts, etc.

This is becomes even more true as you move up the echelons with the same role.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2011, 09:15:18 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 02, 2011, 09:11:56 PM
Sounds like they "run" them to me.

Manages and directs, in this context, means he sets the agenda, turns the commanders high-level goals into workable plans, and
insures whatever is done meets the plan and the regs.

It doesn't necessarily mean he's the one expected to grab a compass and teach pace counts, etc.

This is becomes even more true as you move up the echelons with the same role.
I agree....and never said that he is a wrench turner.   But "running" an operation....any operation.....is about supervision.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 02, 2011, 09:22:58 PMI agree....and never said that he is a wrench turner.   But "running" an operation....any operation.....is about supervision.

I suppose, but far too many members think the staffers are the ones who are really supposed to be doing all the work, which is not how it's supposed to be.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2011, 09:43:32 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 02, 2011, 09:22:58 PMI agree....and never said that he is a wrench turner.   But "running" an operation....any operation.....is about supervision.

I suppose, but far too many members think the staffers are the ones who are really supposed to be doing all the work, which is not how it's supposed to be.
Well.....I am talking about how it is supposed to be too.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2011, 09:13:14 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 02, 2011, 09:05:09 PMBy default CDS does not have cadet promotions access (they don't have access to about 95% of other modules either), but if the CC assigns them Deputy Commander permissions as well, they will have everything, including cadet promotions.

In a preferred situation, the CDC and CDS are both working together, with each having the majority of their duties in their respective area, but occasionally helping out as-needed on the other side of the house.  The houses really shouldn't be that split to start with.

I've seen more than one situation, though, where the CDS has little cadet program knowledge, and may well not even be that fond of "kids", which is why he's the CDS to start with.  Then, though some unexplainable mental process, decides to occasionally "get involved", or worse "fix things" on the cadet side, usually unbidden, and making things worse then they were.  I think for some, it might be mental math that says since the CDS has responsibilities for the adults, that side is somehow higher on the food chain than the cadets.

If the CDS isn't asked to help, he should stay in his lane.

Exactly.

Short Field

Quote from: lordmonar on December 02, 2011, 08:48:17 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2011, 08:42:13 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 02, 2011, 08:00:49 PMThe ES officer is in charge of planning, training and executing all ES actiivties.....hence the gray line of authority.

Fixed that for you.  I have a philosophical issue with that - the ESO is not a wrench turner, he's a planner and administrator for others.
Then who is in CHARGE of executing the plan?
The Incident Commander.  The ESO is not the executor - his job is all about planning and working on relationships before the incident.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640