Cadetting, ACA, CAP and other

Started by BillB, December 24, 2006, 12:19:57 AM

MIKE

Quote from: RiverAux on December 26, 2006, 03:07:45 AMThe only real advantage we have over other cadet organizations is the potential to do ES work (though the Boy Scouts do have some SAR units).   

As I've said, we need to look at some activities that we can use to supplement the ES mission for Cadet Programs.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Unfortunately, while we hardly hesitate to let a cadet learn to fly in one of our planes, we just seem way to worried about the risk of other activities.  If cadets start to get kicked out of some ES activities (as the restrictions on their use during Katrina seem to fortell), we may lose the only real thing we offer them that the other organizations do not. 

At some point in the future the AF is going to take a good hard look at AFJROTC and the CAP cadet program and make a decision about which is more efficient and easier to deal with and I would be worried that CAP would come out on the losing end.  Heck, with the CAP School Program we are starting to become more like AFJROTC anyway.   

sandman

I've been involved with ACA and have been offered a commission in the Army or Navy brigade (need to drop a few pounds to qualify for the Marine brigade!). I've not yet accepted the offer as I've placed cadetting on the back burner for awhile. The attraction to CAP for me is the combination of cadetting with s'member activities. However, since I'm getting close to "retirement" in CAP service, I will consider the ACA to support my cadetting habit (it's great to see the kids learn skills, responsibility, and develop self confidence) and continue with my CGAUX and Sheriff's Areo Squadron to support my alturistic volunteer activities. CAP just ain't what it used to be...but I still believe in it's mission...I just wish CAP corporately would believe in itself :-\
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

DanR

Quote from: CAP428 on December 24, 2006, 08:06:51 PM
Oh, sure I can see parents spending a lot of money since you factor in stuff like uniforms and encampments and NCSAs and banquets and everything else, I was just under the impression that the question pertained to how much the cadet specifically spent, and I thought that seemed like  a lot.  I mean, I feel like I've spent quite a bit this last year, and I'd say it was only like somewhere between 500 and 1000.  I can't imagine paying 5-6000 for one year.
Yeah, there's no way that could be the average spent. 5-6 grand is for those doing pilot training. And like someone else said in this string, not everyone who is/was a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol goes into the Air Force after High School or even College. Sure it costs a little something to get into the program and get all your stuff straight but nowhere near that much. Once you get settled into a squadron it levels out and the cost tends to subside. The exceptional people who go all out for everything could easily spend that much. I unfortunately don't have that much to spend or the time that I once had to dive headfirst into special activities.
C/CMSgt Dan Russell-Cadet Commander-NER-NY-162-Utica Composite Squadron

SAR-EMT1

As far as field work is concerned I did more in one MONTH with the boy scouts then I did in my whole CAP cadet career. I joined as a cadet STRICTLY  for the AF prep aspect. As far as kids dropping us on a moments notice to join a gun totin, mud slingin military organization: I would have been one of the first out the door.  Its only been as a Senior that Ive seen value in the cadet  program. - JMHO...I know many MANY kids have seen value in it .
But as far as making CAP 'more military' Im all for it. For both SMs and Cadets... I know it wont happen, but I can dream big.
Im guessing I should have been a kid 20/30 years ago. ;)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

flyguy06

Quote from: MIKE on December 24, 2006, 09:37:39 PM
Quote from: DNall on December 24, 2006, 08:03:32 PMWhen people come in with... for instance the idea that AE is central or that it's presentation is about science camp versus leading to the military... Which then displaces the military nature of the program, then cadets in the long run are not having their expectations met & will leave.

Word... But then again, I don't much care for those that try too hard to do the military thing... And fail miserably, because they just don't get it.

I think we could add much more emphasis to marksmanship and some field craft to the military aspect of the programs, much like the ATC does.

The difference there Mike is the cadet program is "supposed" to be training future officers, not future Airmen. So leadership is the paramount training objective. Not specific skillcrafts.

SAR-EMT1

Correct me if Im wrong. But as a former CAP cadet I would have been given advanced ENLISTED grade . As an AFROTC cadet in college, I had all manner of former CAP cadets in my unit, and NONE of us got ANY advancements whatsoever. -whether we were supposed to or not being a mute point-
I CAN GLADLY say that my freshman year the cadre decided it would be 'neat' to form a flight consisting of nothing but freshman cadets who were former CAP or JROTC . We won every monthly leadership award, the Honor Flight and Warrior Flight for the Fall semester and collectively had the highest GPA in the unit. -- Compare that to grad students going for a law degree and a jag slot-  ;D ;D The cadre informed us atthe end of the semester... that they will never make a CAP/JROTC flight again  ;D
Getting my ribbons from the Col. and my challenge coin from that General was one of hte best moments of my life.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

SAR-EMT1

We also decided as a flight to enroll in the, Arnold Air Society probabtionary class.  Again, biggest, best class they had.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328