ELT/EPIRBs set off by weak batteries

Started by RiverAux, December 16, 2006, 11:33:27 PM

RiverAux

Folks, can any of you provide any documentation (web link please) that weak or expired batteries can set off ELTS and EPIRBS?  The NOAA SARSAT page mentions this as one of the reasons for false activations but I think I'll need something more technical to put a CG Auxie in his place over on mil.com who doesnt believe that this is possible (Evidently, NOAA's word isn't good enough).

I've been on missions myself involving ELTs set off in this manner, but it has been a very long time since I've had an EPIRB mission and can't remember whether or not this particular problem was at the root of those few missions. 

DNall

NOAA would be the authority on this as they are the customer of that information so as to tweak their satellites. I've been on hundreds of ELT/EPIRB missions, so I'm pretty confident in my understanding of the systems. Degredation is I'd say the number three cause for non-distress activations (low bat, or battery failure/leakage creating a short/contact activation). Rough landings/weather/being rough with the unit or plane is number one. Number two people thinking the antenna on an EPIRB is supposed to point up in storage, or don't understand it when they move it around on or off the boat. That's from my experience around here, so I couldn't quote you statistics, but I know they are avail (just make sure you combine the AF & CG numbers).

RiverAux

All the AFRCC reports aren't specific as to cause.  If you know of any other detailed sources for stats relating to ELT activation causes, I'd be happy to hear about them. 

Have you personally been on an EPIRB mission where the battery was the problem?  I just don't remember that on any of mine (the old, "this must be pointed the wrong direction" excuse, I well remember though). 

I think I've got this guy to accept NOAA and my word on this problem in ELTs, but he doesn't believe it could happen with an EPIRB. 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Several. What the difference exactly in an ELT & an EPIRB - okay the obvious, but in teh guts it's just a simple transmitter w/ a modulator & long-life battery. Each is hardened against different factors, but that doesn't change anything about what happens to old batteries on corroded contacts.

RiverAux

I'm with you 100%.  But sure would like some proof to show this guy.  Best that has been come up with so far was a European report on causes of EPIRB false alerts.  About 10% of those with known causes were a result of "malfunction", which could but doesn't specifically say, include such problems. 

DNall

I don't think you're going to find detailed data. We (and everyone else) go turn the things off & go home. You can speculate that it's hard landing or equipment malfunction, but no one takes the thing apart & reports details of their findings.