Main Menu

Squadron Holiday Parties

Started by Pylon, December 13, 2006, 07:14:19 PM

Pylon

So how many of you out there hold squadron holiday parties? 

Any ideas, or fun things you've done with your squadrons and particularly the cadets?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

We've got a movie night on the 20th... No meeting on 27th.
Mike Johnston

Monty

Holiday parties?  To heck with holiday parties; all my people are self-proclaimed Christians, so we're having a Christmas party (all the political correctors can just eat it.)   ;D

We're doing a pot-luck and having some sort of sport game (I don't remember what my cadets called it...shuffle ball or something like that.)

Tunes, vittles, and friends...nice way to end the year!

davedove

We are having a party next week, but I don't remember what it's being called. ::)
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Lancer

Michigan Wing cadets are getting together for Laser Tag on the 26th.  Should be a blast.  ;D

Eclipse

We have a fairly formal party each year at a local hotel, good eats, awards, and recap of the year's events.

Its an uphill climb to make it work financially because of the minimums these hotels want, but we did a pretty good job this year on breaking even.

http://ilcapnews.blogs.com/il_cap_news_blog/2006/12/palwaukee_holds.html

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Quote from: Eclipse on December 13, 2006, 08:05:27 PM
We have a fairly formal party each year at a local hotel, good eats, awards, and recap of the year's events.

Its an uphill climb to make it work financially because of the minimums these hotels want, but we did a pretty good job this year on breaking even.
We did a group level thing like that, $9 a head on 90 people, catered lasagna or chicken penne buffet style. Tied in an all day conf, w/ Gp staff/CAC/CC's call in the morning. Ended up working out pretty well. We ran a couple small dining-ins at national guard faciliates before. Little extra leg work & maybe tie in w/ more units & you can pull a nice semi-formal kind of thing off. Encourage people to bring famliy & dates ups the numbers to.

Anyway, we did that last wknd, next week at the regular meeting time we're doing gag, gifts, pot luck sides, I'm grilling some burgers, promotions w/ parents, just overall social event. Figured I'd take a football, maybe a couple softball gloves - your normal tailgate kind of thing. I hadn't thought of doing anything more significant, but a movie or one could be fun - that World Trade Cetenter movie just came out on DVD, or one of those work with your hands fast payoff AE projects might be fun to make parents do w/ their kids - water rockets or something.

I really think getting parents out to socialize with your adult staff every so often is important. Build some trust & enthusiasm, maybe recruit a little. Promotions is all I planned on, but maybe some other stuff for kids to show thier parents what they've learned would be appropriate. I really hadn't thought much about it honestly. Maybe I will ass some more stuff. Thanks.

Becks

We're having an end of year banquette located at the club on base.  Should be nice; give some awards, eat some food and have a good time.

BBATW

Hawk200

Quote from: davedove on December 13, 2006, 07:41:19 PM
We are having a party next week, but I don't remember what it's being called. ::)

I had a party last weekend, but I don't remember what it was...  ::)

Major Carrales

Corpus Christi CAP Celebrates 65th Anniversary with Banquet (DRAFT)

By Major Joe Ely Carrales, CAP
Squadron Commander
Corpus Christi Comp Squadron

The Corpus Christi Composite Squadron celebrated the 65th Anniversary of the founding of the Civil Air Patrol on 11 December 2006 in conjunction with its Holiday Banquet and announcement of its first complete Aircrew. The banquet was held at the Silverado Smokehouse in Corpus Christi, Texas.

The evening began with a stirring performance by the Patriot's Band of Corpus Christi. The ensemble preformed traditional Christmas music along with Patriotic themes. At 1900 hrs Maj Joe Ely Carrales opened the ceremonials. The band's Color Guard posted the Colors and the occasion was opened with the National Anthem, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance and Cadet Oath.

The Patriot's Band of Corpus Christi warming up

The Patriot's Band was contacted by the unit's Deputy Commander for Cadets, 1LT Sandy Phelps, who is also a member of that musical group. 1LT Phelps intended to conduct the ensemble, however she was hospitalized and could not. She never-the -less, maintained almost constant contact with the unit via cell phone to insure all went well. Phelps also provided various door prizes that were given out thought the evening.

Several awards were then given. Cadet Airman Philip Lozano's promotion to that rank was reaffirmed in ceremony and a commendation from the Deputy Commander of Cadets was read aloud. Cadet Technical Sergeant Christopher Villarreal too was read a commendation. Both Cadet Villarreal and Lozano where honored with the news that they had been recommended to the Group V Cadet Advisory Council, CAC, as primary and secondary representatives respectively. Also, both will be attending the 2006 Texas Wing Basic Encampment.

Additionally, Capt Joe Pendergrast and 1LT Jerry Lunceford were awarded aviation badges. Capt Pendergrast for achieving Mission Observer and 1LT Lunceford for becoming a Mission Pilot, both of these positions being necessary for an effective Aircrew.

The evening's keynote speaker was the Reverend Bob Jones, local radio talk show host on local News/Talk 1440 Keys. Reverend Jones is the primary host of the KEYS Morning Show and Saturday afternoon radio periodical Commonsense with Bob Jones. Reverend Jones spoke on Leadership in the modern world and offered encouraging words to up-in-coming CAP cadets praising the Civil Air Patrol for building future leaders. This was a continuation of the Corpus Christi Comp Squadron's guest speaker program begun in October of 2006.

Major Joe Ely Carrales, CAP with the Rev Bob Jones

Lastly, the only item on the Meeting Agenda was to review the unit's goals for 2007. Capt Pendergrast read over them, which outlined 2007 by quarters stressing the need for Air/Ground operations and continued activities toward building the unit. The evening ended with a few photos and conversation with the guest host and wishes of continued unit growth for 2007.

Let's keep 'em flying in 2007!

All in all, this was sucessful and it cost a bear minimum, the cost of a few doorprizes and meal for guests.  No need to over do it, after all for the price some units dish out you could have another handheld or practice ELT. It was fun just having fun and breaking bread together.  In fact, the term "companion" means just that.

There is an element of fellowship that a unit has to have to survive.  We tend to share our time on "duty," its nice to share that time and have fun as well without the stress of the AF assigned mission number.  We plan to have a MID ANNUAL COOKOUT sometime in the summer.

It also promotes unit memebers actually liking and interacting with one another (and families) other than on MEETING NIGHT.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

alexalvarez

Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

Major Carrales

Quote from: alexalvarez on December 14, 2006, 06:37:14 PM
Great job Major Carrales.

Thank you...some day you will have to invite me to some Alamo COMP thing on a day I can go.  I would love to meet more people in person from the Northern part of our Group.

God Bless

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Maj. C,

Texas Wing Group III's having their Christmas party on Saturday... now if any of your travels bring you up to the northern part of the Great Republic of Texas, be sure and stop on by!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Psicorp

Back by popular demand, our Squadron is having a holiday party at our next meeting (this coming Wednesday evening).  It'll be a pot-luck affair with plenty of food and too many sweets.  Uniform for the evening will be semi-formal blues (or alternate) (that's Class B for all you old timers...sorry, couldn't resist).

I think there may be a couple promotions during opening ceremonies, an Officer Candidate should be getting her butter bars next week.

The festivities are open to one and all, so if you find yourself in the Lansing, MI area, you're welcome to drop by!
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Nathan

One of the SM's in our squadron happens to be a culinary arts teacher at a high school, so we have our official "End of the Year banquet." After the CAP members, parents, and guests enjoy a dinner hosted by the culinary arts program (usually with an audio/visual slideshow), we'll have a guest speaker (Congressman this year), members talking about their experiences, and other such activities. At the end, we do our promotions and special awards. We've had great success with it in the past.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Eclipse

A note on guest speakers, make sure to get one who will speak to your spouses, parents, and guests.  Someone dynamic, interesting, and brief.

The Congressman is a good idea because at least people will have heard the name and can talk about it the next day.

Before I took over we had the Chicago FBI Director as a guest speaker, interesting (in theory) to at least the CAP people, but he spoke for almosty an hour about the terroist threats facing Chicago and our nation.  (Merry Christmas!)  Not exactly an "upper" if you know what I mean. Plus it pushed the night past 11pm, which for many is forbidden territory because of baby sitters, curfews, etc.

The next year we had Carol Marin, a local / national media commentator, she was brief and fun, and certainly a know face.

Since then, we have forgone the guest speakers to shorten the night and concentrate more on the unit's accomplishments, awards, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 15, 2006, 11:52:47 AM
Maj. C,

Texas Wing Group III's having their Christmas party on Saturday... now if any of your travels bring you up to the northern part of the Great Republic of Texas, be sure and stop on by!

Are y'all going to the Texas Wing Conference in April?  I should very much like to get together with you et al.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 15, 2006, 06:21:16 PM
Maj. C,

Are y'all going to the Texas Wing Conference in April?  I should very much like to get together with you et al.

Maj. C.,

It's expected of me... after all I'm the Senior Advisor to TX WG CAC.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 15, 2006, 07:08:12 PM
Maj. C,

Maj. C.,

Of Course...I failed to realize this.   In anycase, I look forward to meeting you in person.  Our cadet program is small, albiet growing and I need all the help I can get.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 15, 2006, 10:17:10 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 15, 2006, 07:08:12 PM
Maj. C,

Maj. C.,

Of Course...I failed to realize this.   In anycase, I look forward to meeting you in person.  Our cadet program is small, albiet growing and I need all the help I can get.

I highly recommend attending STEP (Senior Training and Education Program) which is what Texas Wing Cadet Programs calls TLC. It's held the same weekend as CTEP.

More than happy to provide cadet programs advice... feel free to PM or e-mail.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040