All Female Marine One Crew

Started by Flying Pig, October 02, 2009, 06:36:23 PM

Flying Pig

http://www.quantico.usmc.mil/Sentry/StoryView.aspx?SID=3080

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ghUReF6-g

July 16, 2009, Major Jennifer Grieves commanded the first all female crew of Marine One.  She had been a co-pilot and pilot on Marine One for a while with President Bush.  Her last flight as PIC was commemorated with an all female crew.  She was the first female PIC of Marine One.

Its a few months old, but I missed it.  Also, major Grieves is a Mustang.

N Harmon

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2009, 06:36:23 PM

What is a Mustang? Otherwise, very cool article.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Hawk200

Quote from: N Harmon on October 02, 2009, 07:05:25 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2009, 06:36:23 PM

What is a Mustang? Otherwise, very cool article.

An officer that was prior enlisted.

Gunner C

It's a stunt.  One that I would normally appreciate but . . .

At Ft Bragg in the 90s, a female army commander thought that it would be "fun" to have an all woman jump.  The air force threw in an all woman C-141 crew.  It made a big splash in the local papers and it may have made the army and air force times.

Problem is, these weekend "fun jumps" were a major operation to get folks who had been deployed for 3-6 months back on jump status.  When folks came back, they had 30 days to get a jump or they were toast as far as jump pay.  This cute stunt cost a bunch of male soldiers jump pay for a month (airlift in the 90s was hard to come by and had to be coordinated months in advance).

Real cute.  I have absolutely no problem with women in the military, but when the military goes out of its way to do something like this, it makes me regret it.  Unfortunately, equality only goes one way.  They should be celebrating the integration of women into just about everything instead of celebrating "girl flights."

flyguy06