Aircraft Marshalling?

Started by Heavy Flying Guy, July 08, 2014, 09:19:02 PM

Heavy Flying Guy

I've been selected as my squadron's O-Flight NCO (if that's even a real staff position) and as a result, I will be involved in the planning of O-Flights. What training does a cadet need to be qualified to marshal aircraft on the flightline? I'd probably be more useful if I could help at the event when it comes.
"We...are the CAP! We'll always save the day! And if you think we can't, we'll always find a way!"

Alaric

Quote from: FuturePilot5479 on July 08, 2014, 09:19:02 PM
I've been selected as my squadron's O-Flight NCO (if that's even a real staff position) and as a result, I will be involved in the planning of O-Flights. What training does a cadet need to be qualified to marshal aircraft on the flightline? I'd probably be more useful if I could help at the event when it comes.

Check the SQTR for Flight Line Marshaller, then you can read up on the tasks in the Air Crew and Flight Line Task guide

nomiddlemas

Just check the requirements for it.  I just had to take 2 ground classes and I have to demonstrate I know how to do it than I believe I have the flightline marshalling. 

Heavy Flying Guy

What kind of rating is aircraft Marshalling? I've heard ES, but others say this isn't true.
"We...are the CAP! We'll always save the day! And if you think we can't, we'll always find a way!"

arajca

Flight Line Marshaller is an ES rating. One requirement for cadets to do marshalling is a senior member is required to be present to supervise. Usually, there are no marshallers for O-Flights or at many exercises and missions for that matter.

Eclipse

Yes, these are ES ratings, and CAP prohibits anyone from Marshaling an aircraft unless they have been properly trained or
are under the supervision of someone who is.

The ratings are "Flight Line Marshaller (FLM)" and "Flight Line Supervisor (FLS)".

Each has a full SQTR, including prerequisites and the typical mission-number performance review.

See CAPR 60-3: http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R060_003_075A4369FBA8E.pdf
as well as various KB articles.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on July 08, 2014, 11:48:12 PM
Flight Line Marshaller is an ES rating. One requirement for cadets to do marshalling is a senior member is required to be present to supervise. Usually, there are no marshallers for O-Flights or at many exercises and missions for that matter.

+1 - FLM is becoming an decreasingly called for skill, outside of a few large airshows or similar activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

Heavy Flying Guy

In my part of Arizona Wing, O-Flights are few and far between. There are "Super O-Flights" with three or four aircraft every few months, and there are only cadets doing the Marshalling. Does every ES rating get the patch?

Garibaldi

Quote from: FuturePilot5479 on July 10, 2014, 12:20:13 AM
In my part of Arizona Wing, O-Flights are few and far between. There are "Super O-Flights" with three or four aircraft every few months, and there are only cadets doing the Marshalling. Does every ES rating get the patch?

..no?

There are no ratings or patches for flight line marshalling. You can wear the ES patch for being ES qualified for one year. You can get the GT badge upon completing all the GTM 3 requirements. If you are 18, you can earn aircrew wings. But there is not patch you can get for flight line.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 10, 2014, 12:30:36 AM

..no?

There are no ratings or patches for flight line marshalling. You can wear the ES patch for being ES qualified for one year. You can get the GT badge upon completing all the GTM 3 requirements. If you are 18, you can earn aircrew wings. But there is not patch you can get for flight line.
IIRC......GES plus one other ES rating (like FLM) gets you the ES patch....no time requirement.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on July 10, 2014, 12:40:23 AM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 10, 2014, 12:30:36 AM

..no?

IIRC......GES plus one other ES rating (like FLM) gets you the ES patch....no time requirement.

*puts foot down*

I.....

will have to check and get back to you.

*checks 35-6*

Yep, clear as day. Plus another ES specialty.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

'Sokay....happens to the best of us.   :)

SaBeR33

Some of the things I learned from having served as a flight line marshaller during many airshows (to include Blue Beret) and missions bases WIWAC and during my time in the USAF serving as a crew chief on C-17s is to: always have your head on a swivel, don't focus solely on the aircraft in front of you, pay attention to the indicators your wing walkers are giving you, the head marshaller (as in you, not the aircraft commander) is in charge of what and where the aircraft goes and does once on the ground, and be prepared to un-ass the immediate area if the person in the aircraft commander's seat doesn't feel he has the need to abide by the directions you're giving him. Yes, I have stories of the very latter from both my cadet and AF days that made me realize that some pilots tend to lose several IQ points upon landing. That loss of IQ points could have easily resulted in a few people being seriously injured or killed due to the direct safety violations (DSVs) committed by those pilots. Fortunately, said pilots were immediately grounded. Lastly, always think of your safety and those out there with you on the flight line first-and-foremost. An aircraft can be always replaced whereas you cannot be.

Eclipse

Quote from: FuturePilot5479 on July 10, 2014, 12:20:13 AMonly cadets doing the Marshalling.

>only< cadets?  Are they rated as FLM?

Where are the seniors?

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Another point - make sure the pilot knows and is agreeable with being marshalled. At a mission, it's a bit easier for the IC to tell the pilots there will be marshallers and they WILL follow the marshallers' instructions.

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on July 10, 2014, 03:06:48 AM
Another point - make sure the pilot knows and is agreeable with being marshalled. At a mission, it's a bit easier for the IC to tell the pilots there will be marshallers and they WILL follow the marshallers' instructions.
That should not have to be said.....but I agree.....the OPS/AOBD/Safety need to make it perfectly clear that the FLS and FLM are out there and that they are there for a reason.

Joke.........What's the easiest way to get a pilot to ignore you and go away?   Start marshaling him.  :)

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2014, 02:52:49 AM
Quote from: FuturePilot5479 on July 10, 2014, 12:20:13 AMonly cadets doing the Marshalling.

>only< cadets?  Are they rated as FLM?

Where are the seniors?

I looked in the regs (CAPR 60-1, 60-3, etc.) and couldn't find any requirement for a FLS. That said, no one can act as a FLM unless they're, at a minimum, a FLM trainee under the supervision of a qualified supervisor. Technically, that person could be a qualified FLM. However, as an IC, I wouldn't want cadets doing flight line marshalling (especially with multiple aircraft) without a qualified FLS and a responsible senior member, if the FLS is a cadet.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on July 10, 2014, 03:40:05 AM
Quote from: arajca on July 10, 2014, 03:06:48 AM
That should not have to be said.....but I agree.....the OPS/AOBD/Safety need to make it perfectly clear that the FLS and FLM are out there and that they are there for a reason.

Joke.........What's the easiest way to get a pilot to ignore you and go away?   Start marshaling him.  :)

That should be covered in the briefing. While pilots are ultimately responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft, FLM are there for a reason and their directions should be followed, except for safety considerations.