Aircrew Overnight Bag Questions

Started by edgallop, March 13, 2013, 06:37:41 PM

edgallop

I have recently returned to the CAP after a ten year break. Previously, I was heavily involved in ground operations as a GTM &GTL as well as mission base staff on occasion. I also worked for other SAR oorganizations both during and after the end of my previous CAP involvement. I thoroughly enjoyed my ground SAR experiences but my primary interest has always been aviation. I really wanted to fly but due to lack of resources for training aircrew in my previous squadron, I devoted myself to the ground side and this resulted in a many-year volunteer SAR "career". This was very rewarding and also played a part in my transition to my current career as a professional survival instructor.

My current squadron is very active in air operations and has the necessary resources. My current chain of command seems to be very supportive and are helping me to get into the air. I am on track to finish my MS SQTR before the end of the month which will allow me to register for the MO course at the MER SAR college taking place at the end of next month.

I would like to ask for advice from the experienced aircrew members on this forum:

Do any of you maintain a "ready bag" for potential multi-day missions and exercises that is separate from your flight bag? I mean a sort of 72 hour kit with extra clothing, toiletries, etc. I'm not talking about a survival kit or anything like that... Just a 3 day or so overnighter bag that could fly with you to the mission base.

If you do, what are some good guidelines as far as contents as well as size and weight of the complete kit?

Ed

NIN

Well, this is one of those "You probably can never make it small enough or light enough, and you'll forget things the first half dozen times"

From experience (I always used a military helmet bag as my AWOL bag. I have more than one):
- Toilet kit (small, with travel sized items. Don't forget a toothbrush, deodorant and a razor/shaving cream)
- Towel (you are hoopy frood if you always know where your towel is)
- T-shirts, skivvies & sox, at least one set. (amazing what a change of skivvies can do to improve your demeanor)

If there is a potential for a social agenda on the far end, a non-CAP polo and a pair of jeans. You *can* get away with your aircrew boots and jeans if you have nice boots. :)

You shouldn't upset the w/b with that little amount of stuff. It can hide in the corner of the baggage area, between the chocks and the back of the seat. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

edgallop

Excellent advice... Thank you.

That's right in line with what I was thinking... I don't have a helmet bag, but I figure a small day pack would be about the same size.

I live about an hour from the airport (kind of in the boonies) so having a bag packed and ready to go should go a long way towards my being on time to catch a ride.

Ed

JeffDG

One other note...

Always keep that bag with you...

Even if someone says "Don't worry, this van is heading to the same place you're deploying to!", I guarantee, if you put that bag in the van, one or the other of you WILL divert somewhere.

Eclipse

While you could well get called up for an ELT or similar no-notice mission, CAP doesn't send members on multi-day missions without notice.

Preparation is never a bad thing, but if you're going to be gone for more than a few hours, or at most the whole day, you'll have time to get
home first.  The shortest multi-day deployment I've had was about 8 hours and then I was gone about a week.

NIN's list is a good idea for just about any short-notice bug-out bag.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on March 13, 2013, 08:54:32 PM
While you could well get called up for an ELT or similar no-notice mission, CAP doesn't send members on multi-day missions without notice.

Preparation is never a bad thing, but if you're going to be gone for more than a few hours, or at most the whole day, you'll have time to get
home first.  The shortest multi-day deployment I've had was about 8 hours and then I was gone about a week.

NIN's list is a good idea for just about any short-notice bug-out bag.

You're right about the notice, but there are always unpredictable circumstances.  While it's never happened to me personally, I know guys that have had to spend the night away on what was supposed to be a short day trip due to weather, mechanical stuff, etc.  Always a good idea to have it. 

To the OP..  here's what I have in my overnight bag-

2 pairs each underwear and socks
1 undershirt (even if you don't have a clean uniform, a clean undershirt can make you feel a lot better)
Cell phone charger
Toiletry kit with all the usual stuff, soap, razor, tooth brush, etc.
Towel and washcloth
Civillian clothes-  Jeans and a polo.  Like NIN said, I would just wear my boots. 

I just have everything in a plastic grocery store bag and keep it in my truck at all times along with my go kit, so I can respond from anywhere, anytime without having to go home to gather gear.  I just throw it in my backpack along with my other gear when needed. 

edgallop

All solid advice... Thanks everyone.

On the subject of having advance notice of multi-day deployments.  I know this to be true, but I have gone on"quickies" that turned into a bigger deal than was originally expected and a change of clothes would have been a big morale booster.

As far as keeping the bag instead of putting it in a van or someone's POV... Very good point. Murphy's law is always in full effect on a mission. BTDT LOL

Thanks again, folks.

Ed

wuzafuzz

My biggest concern for a surprise multi-day event is weather caused.  It's not a stretch to find that weather prohibits a flight back home.  Depending on location and the weather it is sometimes possible to arrange a car ride, but not always.  A small kit makes a lot of sense.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

tinker

Quote... some good guidelines as far as contents ...

• Some granola bars.  "Nature Valley" seem to be the least sweet.
  • A medium-sized bag of beef jerky
  • A pellet tin full of quarters to use in the airport vending machines
  • A plastic spork
  • A camper-size roll of Bounty paper towels

On a real mission, they may not have the banquet catering arranged on Day 1.

Cliff_Chambliss

I would add about one weeks supply of any medications, vitamins, aspirin, etc.  (Be sure to rotate every week so they don't get stale.)
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Mustang

Preparation is never a bad thing, but if you're going to be gone for more than a few hours, or at most the whole day, you'll have time to get home first.

Yes because airplanes NEVER break down, and the weather NEVER goes to crap unexpectedly.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

edgallop

Good points about the munchies and medications.

I always have a couple of cliff bars in my flight bag... I also keep a 35mm film canister with my allergy pills in my dopp kit.

Ed

stillamarine

Quote from: Mustang on March 30, 2013, 06:38:35 AM

Preparation is never a bad thing, but if you're going to be gone for more than a few hours, or at most the whole day, you'll have time to get home first.

Yes because airplanes NEVER break down, and the weather NEVER goes to crap unexpectedly.

I recall an ELT mission that ended up leaving me sitting stuck on Eglin AFB on Christmas eve, thanks to the weather.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

mwewing

There was a presentation at our wing conference a few weeks ago from members who participated in our Hurricane Sandy response. These members got called up with only a few hours notice, and were gone for a week. I know its rare, but it can happen. Of course there are also the unforeseen weather and mechanical circumstances that can leave you stuck somewhere. I think its better to plan ahead than not.
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)