Air Canada Does Search & Rescue - 270 Scanners On Board

Started by a2capt, October 18, 2012, 03:27:21 PM

a2capt

Quote from: CNN.comThey were ready to land in Australia, at the end of a 14-hour international flight, when the 270 passengers of an Air Canada flight were suddenly thrown into a high-seas search-and-rescue operation.

Flight AC033 diverted after pilot Andrew Robertson got a call from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority on Tuesday to help search for a yachtsman who had sailed from Sydney two weeks earlier.

"If we have the fuel, could we investigate an emergency beacon that had just gone off," came the question from maritime officials, Robertson told CNN Canadian affiliate CBC News.

Down below, Glenn Ey of Queensland, Australia, was being tossed about in his crippled 36-foot yacht -- out of fuel and with a broken mast after a storm.

"I thought I had a very good chance of getting back to Sydney without assistance," Ey said after nine days adrift. "I couldn't see any evidence of Sydney, and I had no idea of my exact position, and it was at that point I set off the emergency position indicator radio beacon."

The search began as the Boeing 777, on its way from Vancouver, dropped from 37,000 feet to 4,000 feet. Robertson asked the passengers and crew to train their eyes on the choppy waters below.

"I think everyone's heart started beating a little bit faster," said Jill Brown, a Canadian singer, who was making the trip to Sydney for a concert. "They said ... we'd really appreciate it if everyone could look out their windows, and if anyone has any binoculars that could help us identify this yacht, that would be really helpful."

It didn't take too long to find Ey as passengers and crew scanned the waters below.

"We're doing this big sweeping right turn and almost immediately they said, 'Oh, we see something,' " Robertson said. "We were totally ecstatic."

Total from time from activation of the emergency beacon until he was found by the Air Canada flight: about 25 minutes.

"You know, we cheered and we applauded and I think we all kind of felt a sense of pride," Brown said.

A merchant vessel helped the yacht until the New South Wales water police arrived from Sydney late Wednesday, about 270 nautical miles off the coast.
Air Canada Finds Lost Yacht after diversion, nearing Sydney, AU
Can you imagine the SQTR's? .. if there was an SET qualified individual on board? ;)

Eclipse

I saw that - were I a passenger, I'd be filing a complaint somewhere:

A: My time, the plane was already late and this made it even later.

B: More important, my safety - taking a commercial jet down under 4000 ft over water?  Seriously, what were they thinking?

"Seemed like a good idea at the time..."

"That Others May Zoom"

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2012, 03:30:55 PM

B: More important, my safety - taking a commercial jet down under 4000 ft over water?  Seriously, what were they thinking?

Ignore above, Curmudgeon venting...

Way to go Canadians, proof again that banning contingency fees is in the self-interest of any healthy society!

A.Member

So, what?  They're over the Pacific.  Do you think at 37,000+ ft they have any better shot at reaching land?!   Don't be silly.  There was no significant risk to anyone's safety.  Have you ever been on an overseas flight?  The passengers probably welcomed a break from the monotony. :)

Good on this crew and the passengers.  More importantly, they actually found their target.  Sadly, this puts their batting average well above ours. ;) :P   
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Quote from: A.Member on October 18, 2012, 05:16:41 PMSo, what?  They're over the Pacific.  Do you think at 37,000+ ft they have any better shot at reaching land?!   

Um, yes?

An engine failure or other mechanical problem at 4k feet is going to to be a lot more "exciting" a lot faster then at 37,000.
This is a typical "ask for forgiveness situation" - the results were positive, so then it must be "OK".  If that plane went into the
water doing the same thing, everyone would be yelling how dumb this was.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2012, 05:29:49 PM
Quote from: A.Member on October 18, 2012, 05:16:41 PMSo, what?  They're over the Pacific.  Do you think at 37,000+ ft they have any better shot at reaching land?!   

Um, yes?

An engine failure or other mechanical problem at 4k feet is going to to be a lot more "exciting" a lot faster then at 37,000.
This is a typical "ask for forgiveness situation" - the results were positive, so then it must be "OK".  If that plane went into the
Uh, no.  The yacht was reportedly 270nm off the coast.  The only difference would be in the unlikely event they had such a significant problem, the passengers would have a longer time to dwell on it from 37K.  Either way, they'd be going swimming.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Critical AOA

Yes, if you lose both engines you can glide much farther from 37,000' than 4000'.  The glide ratio of a 777 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 17:1.  So at 37,000', the 777 could glide for approximately 119 miles.  The article stated that the yacht was approximately 270 miles from the coast so assuming that this was the minimum distance the 777 had to travel as well means splash down even at 37,000' but at least they would have been closer to land than if it happened at 4000'.   So yes, there is an increased level of risk.

However...

The probability of losing one engine is pretty low. The MTBF of modern jet engines is pretty high.  Besides, the 777 can fly just fine on one engine.  It has to in order to qualify for ETOPS as well as basic certification.

The probability of losing both engines is quite a bit lower, in fact statistically it almost approaches zero.

The probability of losing both engines at that particular moment in time is even closer to approaching zero.

About the only real risk is that considering the time they took looking plus the increased fuel burn at the lower altitude plus perhaps a higher fuel burn in climb returning to a higher altitude after the search, they would have cut into their fuel reserves.  I am sure this was all taken into consideration and the crew did some calculations and decided that their fuel remaining was sufficient for the conditions existing at the time.  I am certain they would have bugged out of the search area long before fuel got critical.

I know if it were my knickers getting soaked that I would really appreciate the fact someone took this very modest risk.   Statistically speaking, I am certain that we assume a far greater level of risk as CAP pilots when we jump in our single engine piston powered airplane to look for someone in need... but we do it anyway.   
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2012, 05:29:49 PM

Um, yes?

Twin Engine Jets (AKA the Boeing 777) are required to demonstrate the ability to operate for 180 minutes (thats 3 hours) on ONE engine in order to be able to fly certain routes over the Pacific & Atlantic. 

The routes they take are based on this certification (called "ETOPS" for, off the top of my head, Extended Twin-engine OPerationS), and they're never more than 180 minutes from a suitable divert field.

Also, and I could be wrong here: A lot of aviation ops internationally have a basis in maritime law & custom.   I *believe* that this is one of those circumstances where, while it might not be *required*, it is *customary* for a vessel (aircraft or ship) to divert to render aid of some sort.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JeffDG

Please feel free to file your complaint, sir:

Critical AOA

Oh... I thought it stood for Engines Turn Or People Swim.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

A.Member

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 18, 2012, 06:34:50 PM
Yes, if you lose both engines you can glide much farther from 37,000' than 4000'.  The glide ratio of a 777 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 17:1.  So at 37,000', the 777 could glide for approximately 119 miles.  The article stated that the yacht was approximately 270 miles from the coast so assuming that this was the minimum distance the 777 had to travel as well means splash down even at 37,000' but at least they would have been closer to land than if it happened at 4000'.   So yes, there is an increased level of risk.

However...

The probability of losing one engine is pretty low. The MTBF of modern jet engines is pretty high.  Besides, the 777 can fly just fine on one engine.  It has to in order to qualify for ETOPS as well as basic certification.

The probability of losing both engines is quite a bit lower, in fact statistically it almost approaches zero.

The probability of losing both engines at that particular moment in time is even closer to approaching zero.

About the only real risk is that considering the time they took looking plus the increased fuel burn at the lower altitude plus perhaps a higher fuel burn in climb returning to a higher altitude after the search, they would have cut into their fuel reserves.  I am sure this was all taken into consideration and the crew did some calculations and decided that their fuel remaining was sufficient for the conditions existing at the time.  I am certain they would have bugged out of the search area long before fuel got critical.

I know if it were my knickers getting soaked that I would really appreciate the fact someone took this very modest risk.   Statistically speaking, I am certain that we assume a far greater level of risk as CAP pilots when we jump in our single engine piston powered airplane to look for someone in need... but we do it anyway.
Agreed.  We're on the same page.  I was just pointing out there was no significant risk (over what they already had) but didn't get into the various details as to why.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

BillB

If there was a CAP member on that aircraft, could he apply for a Find ribbon?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JeffDG

Quote from: BillB on October 18, 2012, 09:22:42 PM
It had to devolve into a uniform discussion eventually. >:D

AngelWings

Critical AOA

Quote from: NIN on October 18, 2012, 09:06:14 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 18, 2012, 06:44:37 PM
Oh... I thought it stood for Engines Turn Or People Swim.

I like yours better.

Old airline joke. I first heard it back in the 90's when the now defunct airline I worked for at the time (ATA) was doing its first ETOPS certifications.  In fact we were the first airline to get certified for 180 minute ETOPS in the 757. 

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on October 18, 2012, 09:22:42 PM

Did they silence the beacon?

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

i was on a cruise in Alaska where the PA chimed up, and some alarm sounded that sent chills up my spine.  My wife looked at me and said "uh, that isnt the lunch bell".  The captain came on and in a hard Norweigen accent told everyone we were reversing course and would be significantly increasing speed for a fishing boat broadcasting they were rapidly taking on water.  I though I was back in the Marines when that ship turned to the point where people were leaning against walls and railings and water in the pool sloshed out!  Believe it or not a cruise ship can Haul A-- if it needs to.

We got there, rescue swimmers from the ships crew were getting suited up.  However another fishing boat was in the process of taking the crew onto their boat.  I didnt hear anyone complain.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 18, 2012, 10:26:14 PM
i was on a cruise in Alaska where the PA chimed up, and some alarm sounded that sent chills up my spine.  My wife looked at me and said "uh, that isnt the lunch bell".  The captain came on and in a hard Norweigen accent told everyone we were reversing course and would be significantly increasing speed for a fishing boat broadcasting they were rapidly taking on water.  I though I was back in the Marines when that ship turned to the point where people were leaning against walls and railings and water in the pool sloshed out!  Believe it or not a cruise ship can Haul A-- if it needs to.

We got there, rescue swimmers from the ships crew were getting suited up.  However another fishing boat was in the process of taking the crew onto their boat.  I didnt hear anyone complain.

Guess Eclipse was at home posting to CapTalk  :o  ;D

Eclipse

Quote from: Mission Pilot on October 18, 2012, 10:40:02 PM
Guess Eclipse was at home posting to CapTalk

A scathing letter was sent to the editor of the "Spirit of Freedom, and Working Man's Vindicator".

"That Others May Zoom"