American to use iPads during all phases of flight

Started by Eclipse, September 17, 2012, 03:36:18 AM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

And the FAA is currently seeking public comment on the topic of personal electronic devices (PEDs) on aircraft:

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2012-0752-0002

SUMMARY: The FAA seeks comments on current policy, guidance, and procedures that aircraft operators (ranging from pilots of general aviation aircraft up to and including air carrier certificate holders at the major airlines) use when determining if passenger use of portable electronic devices (PEDs) may be allowed during any phase of flight on their aircraft.

DATES: Written comments must be received on or before October 30, 2012.

Mike

edit: fixed the link

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on September 17, 2012, 03:36:18 AM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409531,00.asp

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/11/ipad_american_airlines/

That pretty much negates any concerns from a technical perspective regarding electronic devices for passengers.

No it doesn't. The iPad they're using in flight has been tested for interferance problems. Yours hasn't.

Eclipse

Anyone who comments in any way which doesn't allow use on take-off gets an atomic wedgie!

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on September 17, 2012, 03:57:43 AM
No it doesn't. The iPad they're using in flight has been tested for interference problems. Yours hasn't.

Yeah, um, no.

Apple doesn't make "custom" ipads for anyone.  These are standard, off-the-shelf units.  If the pilots' work, so does
everyone elses.

The first device tested by the FAA is the iPad.  That doesn't mean they tested all of them, nor are they custom.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

It appears that "the fondleslabs" are being used as storage devices, and not as communications devices. The possibility for interference is much lower in that case.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 17, 2012, 04:15:10 AM
It appears that "the fondleslabs" are being used as storage devices, and not as communications devices. The possibility for interference is much lower in that case.

Until the first time the pilot takes his iPad home, and his son turns it on to D/L angry birds.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on September 17, 2012, 04:19:09 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 17, 2012, 04:15:10 AM

Until the first time the pilot takes his iPad home, and his son turns it on to D/L angry birds.

Non-issue. 'Net activity at home is no different than any other similar device. In the plane, it's no different than a phone in airplane mode.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Yes, when they remember.

Which in and of itself is funny.  Most people don't even know what airplane mode is, let alone how to turn it on, and that goes double for notebook computers screaming the whole flight for an access point.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

..or the device that using the WiFi service on the plane.

...and if you tell me that all that stuff is "off" until 10K AGL... I've got WiFi Bridges to sell you. Cheap! In reality nothing is ever really off, even if it was shut down. That blows the technicality right there. #2, because that stuff is pocketed many times and not shut off, you know we'd be losing aircraft left and right. They'd be landing in Tijauna instead of San Diego, Maui instead of Oahu, etc.

This isn't happening.

Curiously, I've often figured that the "stow all the crap" was more for the safety factor since those are the critical phases of flight and the less possible projectiles, or distractors, the better. Kids paying attention to the screen instead of the overhead audio.  If it was a real RF threat, the stuff wouldn't be out at all. Ever.

Some years back, I had a camera taking video and uploading frames every 20 seconds. I had it running when I was flying too, and would kick on the cellular part of it around 1,000 AGL, about the time the gear handle would get passed on the check list, and a few times in flight if I was low enough, and send photos. 

On one of the mailing lists I'm on, a response was along the lines of ..."if they say we have to put that stuff away because the aircraft might crash or get lost if we use it, how come he can *fly* the thing, and use that *stuff* right there "in front" ?!?!?!?" ...

Well, for one. Not during actual IFR I won't. :) But I can certainly see where I'm going.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

So, they can walk around with that thing and use it while telling people that all theirs need to be stowed, and in the off position, until the ... whatever.

Do as I say, not as I do. Great. Throws the whole interference thing right out the window wholesale.  ;)

iPad's up front, Galaxy Tabs in the back.

Eclipse

I think the writings on the wall on this anyway, the travel world is all about Kindles, iPads, and other electronics. People just want to read in peace, etc. It's pretty common for people to either ignore the instructions, hide the iPod, or light it back up as soon as the FA is gone.

The technical factors are non-issues, that's a given, now it's a matter of the tradition changing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

I heard a comedy bit about electronic devices this morning, something to the effect of "terrorists have spent years and thousands of dollars trying to smuggle bombs on airplanes, and all they really had to do was light up their gameboy? That'll bring down a 747?"
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

"we've been able get rid of the Jeppesen plates" .. but the price wont' come down. ;-)

A.Member

This has been happening for awhile.  From a GA perspective, most pilots I know are now using tablets.  Our Wing purchased Galaxy Tabs (Android based) with Garmin Pilot installed for use with all our aircraft.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

SunDog

I think I'll velcro my iPad to the panel. Maybe leave the AH and airspeed visible during IMC.  I like it better than the G1000 (a study in bad user interfaces).  Might cut over to the Garmin 430 inside the FAF, for old times sake.

Lately I've been throwing out expired charts and terminal procs I've never opened. . .

Critical AOA

Airborne Wi-Fi systems on aircraft are designed not to allow communication with PEDs until the aircraft is above 10K.  Are the boxes turned completely off?  No.  The CPU and other boxes of the system are powered up but the wireless access points are in a standby mode until the aircraft reaches 10K.  This is done either through an independent GPS antenna and receiver or through connection to the aircraft's ARINC 429 bus.   When the aircraft reaches 10K, a discrete is set, the wireless access points switch on and the system is ready to go because, yes, the system was in fact powered up the entire time.  So what?  That is no different than any other system on the airplane being powered up.

As to airplane mode, I think most people do know how to switch airplane mode on and off.  The part that does elude many folks is how to best operate their PED to use on an airplane with Wi-Fi.  What you do is turn airplane mode on.  This will turn off both your cell function and your Wi-Fi function.  Then you turn just the Wi-Fi back on.  Now you have Wi-Fi but the phone function is still off. 

As to the issue of whether or not PEDs actually interfere with aircraft systems, there is no scientific evidence that they do for certain.  There is some anecdotal evidence from flight crews but it has yet to be proven or duplicated in ground tests.  It comes down to the airlines and FAA erring on the side of caution by reducing the risk during takeoff, approach and landing when the aircraft is in its more critical phases of flight.

But my big question is why people just can't seem to be able to unplug from the internet and their phone for short periods of time?  I am amazed that people feel that it is a need / requirement /must to be connected at all time.  It is dumb.  If you can't go without it for the short time from door closing to 10K, you have issues.   
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 13, 2013, 02:24:44 PMAs to airplane mode, I think most people do know how to switch airplane mode on and off.
Probably the biggest argument against PEDs causing issues - because the average person has all their radios on and no idea how to turn them off.

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 13, 2013, 02:24:44 PM
But my big question is why people just can't seem to be able to unplug from the internet and their phone for short periods of time?  I am amazed that people feel that it is a need / requirement /must to be connected at all time.  It is dumb.  If you can't go without it for the short time from door closing to 10K, you have issues.

I kind of agree, but increasingly people read everything on their PED -  books, magazines, whatever.  No PED, you're staring at your feet for 15 minutes to however long the flight crew decides is appropriate.
But probably more important is the loss of confidence when the airlines (or any authority figure) tell(s) you something that reality proves otherwise.  i.e. what else are they just "making up"
for their own convenience?   Flight attendants have been saying for years that the main reason they want the things turned off is to reduce debris flying around the cabin in an accident
(which is kind of bogus as well).

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

I don't know about androids or other smart phones but on the iPhone, Airplane Mode is the very first menu option under Settings.  Not too hard to find, even for the non tech savvy. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 13, 2013, 03:14:53 PM
I don't know about androids or other smart phones but on the iPhone, Airplane Mode is the very first menu option under Settings.  Not too hard to find, even for the non tech savvy.

I will be laughing about this the entire day - I might literally make a t-shirt with this on the front!

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

JoeTomasone

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 13, 2013, 02:24:44 PM
Airborne Wi-Fi systems on aircraft are designed not to allow communication with PEDs until the aircraft is above 10K.  Are the boxes turned completely off?  No.  The CPU and other boxes of the system are powered up but the wireless access points are in a standby mode until the aircraft reaches 10K.  This is done either through an independent GPS antenna and receiver or through connection to the aircraft's ARINC 429 bus.   When the aircraft reaches 10K, a discrete is set, the wireless access points switch on and the system is ready to go because, yes, the system was in fact powered up the entire time.

On every aircraft that I have tested with GoGo Wifi, the access points have been powered up continuously.  If you connect to them prior to reaching 10,000 feet, the splash page says that the system is not available until then. 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 13, 2013, 03:14:53 PM

Yep, my Android is pretty easy. Hold down the power button.  A list of options appears. 

Power Off
Restart
Silent Mode
Airplane Mode
Connect to Internet

Even if you can't read, the airplane icon is a dead giveaway.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill