Aircraft Refurbs; the 206

Started by FW, March 03, 2011, 01:49:02 AM

FW

Here is a picture of the refurbed panel of CAWG's 206.  I think it looks great.  Looking forward to seeing the finished aircraft.

JeffDG

Wish they'd done the Garmin rather than the Avidyne in the 172 they refurbed here...we call it the Franken-Glass.

With the Garmin retrofit, the skillset from the G1000 comes across a lot easier than learning a whole new knobology.

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Mark_Wheeler

Quote from: FW on March 03, 2011, 01:49:02 AM
Here is a picture of the refurbed panel of CAWG's 206.  I think it looks great.  Looking forward to seeing the finished aircraft.

Are there any other pictures of the aircraft yet?

Mark

PHall

Zelda never looked so good before!

The airplane in question is named Zelda. Her N-Number ends in 98Z. She's also known as CapFlight 498.

Flying Pig

Quote from: JeffDG on March 03, 2011, 01:57:29 AM
Wish they'd done the Garmin rather than the Avidyne in the 172 they refurbed here...we call it the Franken-Glass.

With the Garmin retrofit, the skillset from the G1000 comes across a lot easier than learning a whole new knobology.
Great, so now CAP has different airplanes with different glass set ups?  Good Grief Charlie Brown....... ::)

FastAttack

great the florida U206 has a ASPEN PFD

did they decide what instrument package they are going for yet?

Mustang

Looks good.  I daresay it might even be a more usable set-up than the G1000. (Less for the observer to monkey with, too. ;D )

Quote from: cap235629 on March 03, 2011, 02:29:04 AM
where is the DF?

My first thought exactly.

Quote from: FastAttack on March 03, 2011, 05:35:18 AMgreat the florida U206 has a ASPEN PFD

Absolutely no excuse for basing that aircraft in a sea-level state like Florida.   None.  >:(
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

FW

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 03, 2011, 04:45:05 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on March 03, 2011, 01:57:29 AM

Great, so now CAP has different airplanes with different glass set ups?  Good Grief Charlie Brown.......

All retrofits, from now on, will be G500 setups.  No more Aspens.  (I think only 3 or 4 Aspen/Garmin panels were done).

Quote from: Mark_Wheeler on March 03, 2011, 04:13:51 AM
Quote from: FW on March 03, 2011, 01:49:02 AM

Are there any other pictures of the aircraft yet?

Mark

The aircraft should be finished in about 3 weeks.  I'll see if I can get some pictures when It comes down here for it's inspection run before returning to CAWG.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: PHall on March 03, 2011, 04:32:12 AM
Zelda never looked so good before!

The airplane in question is named Zelda. Her N-Number ends in 98Z. She's also known as CapFlight 498.
Nuh uh....
CapFlight 498 ---> CAP498

Looks nice!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

c172drv

Would have been nice to get a full G1000 system retrofit.  If King Airs can get it we certainly should be able to get a STC approval for our Cessnas.  Too bad we are missing out on a great opportunity standardize and modernize the fleet.

The 206 does look good though and the Garmin system they installed looks like it will be nice.

John
John Jester
VAWG

cap235629

Quote from: FW on March 03, 2011, 11:51:21 AM

All retrofits, from now on, will be G500 setups.  No more Aspens.  (I think only 3 or 4 Aspen/Garmin panels were done).

Is this specific to the 206?  We were told that the 172 "Dream" upgrade would be with the Aspen .  We have a 172 going off in May for the upgrade.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

DG

I had the distinct privilege and high honor

of picking up at the factory

our N206 CP.

Six years ago.

So far as I know, the only U206H NAVIII G1000 in CAP

in the country.

FW

Quote from: cap235629 on March 03, 2011, 04:58:58 PM

Is this specific to the 206?  We were told that the 172 "Dream" upgrade would be with the Aspen .  We have a 172 going off in May for the upgrade.

All our aircraft refurbs will include the G500 with SV, Charts, Weather and backup  AHRS. 

BTW; no DF's due to expense.  The Airforce said no on this. 

cap235629

Quote from: FW on March 04, 2011, 03:41:25 AM
Quote from: cap235629 on March 03, 2011, 04:58:58 PM

All our aircraft refurbs will include the G500 with SV, Charts, Weather and backup  AHRS. 

All those avionics and nothing to complete the mission?

What if the plane already has a DF? The 172 we have going in has a Becker.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Spaceman3750

Whisky tango foxtrot, over.

bosshawk

O rides and pilot proficiency, I guess. Oh, yeah, CD missions, which don't rely on ELTs.  ELTs will now be ground search, only.  Glad that I am gone.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

FW

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 04, 2011, 04:17:00 AM

Yes sir.  That's the information I received from our good friends at NHQ.  (I'm in DC for the NB meeting)   "NO NEW BECKER DF UNITS!  THEY COST $27000 A PIECE.  TO MUCH TO SHELL OUT FOR A MISSION WHICH GETS LESS IMPORTANT WITH EACH SUCCEDING YEAR".

Of course, existing units will stay in the aircraft.

Mark_Wheeler

So the old L-Pers from that aircraft aren't even staying in the plane?

Mark

davidsinn

Quote from: FW on March 04, 2011, 05:03:42 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 04, 2011, 04:17:00 AM

Yes sir.  That's the information I received from our good friends at NHQ.  (I'm in DC for the NB meeting)   "NO NEW BECKER DF UNITS!  THEY COST $27000 A PIECE.  TO MUCH TO SHELL OUT FOR A MISSION WHICH GETS LESS IMPORTANT WITH EACH SUCCEDING YEAR".

Of course, existing units will stay in the aircraft.

That's a dumb reason. Now when we get a call it's from an airliner and covers 5 states. Here in INWG we are launching more assets on a mission than we did before just to cover the potential area.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JeffDG

Quote from: bosshawk on March 04, 2011, 04:51:49 AM
O rides and pilot proficiency, I guess. Oh, yeah, CD missions, which don't rely on ELTs.  ELTs will now be ground search, only.  Glad that I am gone.
Disaster Recovery and ariel route surveys don't require DF either, and those are missions that are getting more training attention lately in many places.

Mustang

How does SAR get less and less important each year??
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Fubar

Quote from: Mustang on March 05, 2011, 01:18:31 AM
How does SAR get less and less important each year??

Because the AFRCC is calling us less and less with each passing year.

FastAttack

Quote from: Mustang on March 03, 2011, 06:41:27 AM

Looks good.  I daresay it might even be a more usable set-up than the G1000. (Less for the observer to monkey with, too. ;D )

Quote from: cap235629 on March 03, 2011, 02:29:04 AM
where is the DF?

My first thought exactly.

Quote from: FastAttack on March 03, 2011, 05:35:18 AMgreat the florida U206 has a ASPEN PFD

Absolutely no excuse for basing that aircraft in a sea-level state like Florida.   None.  >:(

I agree.. but seems like they like to use it for "secret squirrel missions"  lately so they put good use on it.. ( although it seems that it breaks a lot)

I enjoy flying it. But I don't see the point for that aircraft here in Florida. Except the rare occasions ( ie the secret squirrel missions, and Deep Water , RECON)