New Leadership Text

Started by stratoflyer, March 25, 2009, 05:50:12 AM

stratoflyer

After the NEB authorized online testing for leadership tests, I went to the proving grounds portion of the NHQ website. I read the white paper, and took a look at the 1st module.

It seems like a good idea, and the online testing is just one aspect of a total overhaul of the cadet leadership curriculum. I applaud the activities guide because finally, there will be a good source of leadership activities appropriate for cadets.

It seems that the new material will retain the essence of the old books, but make it more user friendly. I also look forward to the instructor's guide, because that will make it a lot easier, but also, standardize what senior members / cadets are teaching.

I've often had to resort to adapting corporate team exercises and make up my own lesson guides for various leadership subjects.

So, I beg the question. When are we finally going to get this stuff?? The white paper said everything done by 2009, so, where's it at?

I know the online testing is aimed at 2010 to 2011.

Either way, good work National. And, of course, the regs will have to be updated.

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Hoorah

Quote from: stratoflyer on March 25, 2009, 05:50:12 AM
After the NEB authorized online testing for leadership tests, I went to the proving grounds portion of the NHQ website. I read the white paper, and took a look at the 1st module.

It seems like a good idea, and the online testing is just one aspect of a total overhaul of the cadet leadership curriculum. I applaud the activities guide because finally, there will be a good source of leadership activities appropriate for cadets.

It seems that the new material will retain the essence of the old books, but make it more user friendly. I also look forward to the instructor's guide, because that will make it a lot easier, but also, standardize what senior members / cadets are teaching.

I've often had to resort to adapting corporate team exercises and make up my own lesson guides for various leadership subjects.

So, I beg the question. When are we finally going to get this stuff?? The white paper said everything done by 2009, so, where's it at?

I know the online testing is aimed at 2010 to 2011.

Either way, good work National. And, of course, the regs will have to be updated.

I aggree the regs will have to be updated how will it afffect the normal book tests.

caprr275

the book tests will just become open book and timed. there wont be a difference as far as i know

notaNCO forever

I think this is a horrible idea because now all you have to do is look up the answer in the book and don't even have to study. We should be trying to encourage good study habits and not fall in the trap that everyones a winner mentality which I think this it's leading towards. I also don't see how the current text is not user friendly. The only text I don't really like is the cadet officer AE book.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: NCO forever on March 27, 2009, 05:15:08 PM
I think this is a horrible idea because now all you have to do is look up the answer in the book and don't even have to study. We should be trying to encourage good study habits and not fall in the trap that everyones a winner mentality which I think this it's leading towards. I also don't see how the current text is not user friendly. The only text I don't really like is the cadet officer AE book.

Have you read the white paper?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

notaNCO forever

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 27, 2009, 05:17:43 PM
Quote from: NCO forever on March 27, 2009, 05:15:08 PM

Have you read the white paper?

I have; I am in agreement about revising the text book, but I still do not like the idea of online testing. When it says that the tests would challenge the cadets to think; how will it do that on an online test? The only way I could think of is a short answer fill which would require someone to check the test anyways.

jimmydeanno

Because the question wouldn't be "Who sank the Ostfriesland?"

it would be something like, "The sinking of the Ostfriesland marked an important point in aviation history, this mark was..."

a) The sinking of the Ostfriesland proved that aircraft could be used to sink ships which lead to...

etc, etc.

Because the text doesn't come out and say the answer, it requires the cadet to study the events and subject matter and COMPREHEND the significance of the question.  Even if they don't have a full comprehension, the answer itself would also give more insight, thus improving the cadets knowledge at the same time.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

notaNCO forever

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 27, 2009, 06:41:08 PM
Because the question wouldn't be "Who sank the Ostfriesland?"

it would be something like, "The sinking of the Ostfriesland marked an important point in aviation history, this mark was..."

a) The sinking of the Ostfriesland proved that aircraft could be used to sink ships which lead to...

etc, etc.

Because the text doesn't come out and say the answer, it requires the cadet to study the events and subject matter and COMPREHEND the significance of the question.  Even if they don't have a full comprehension, the answer itself would also give more insight, thus improving the cadets knowledge at the same time.

Alright I can see that. That still leaves the issue of it being easy to cheat. I'd think it would be easier to cheat when sitting at home with the ability to just Google the question. I still don't like the idea of it being open; just like I don't like the idea of the AE tests for cadet officers being open book.

jimmydeanno

The "timed" part become very helpful in those cases.  Googling takes time, more time than actually knowing the information.  People run out of time, they fail.

Colleges implement online testing all over the country.  Many students still fail despite the tests being open book.

And again, milestones would be written, close book.  So there's a catch - 'just in case.'

notaNCO forever

I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I know I'm not going to change my mind.

One other question. I know for cadets that have a hard time with the written tests can have the tests given to them orally; will that still be able to happen?

jimmydeanno

I'm confident in the competence of the NHQ staff to provide alternative testing means and manual input for the exams that need alternative methods.

notaNCO forever

When they do switch to online tests maybe they can just recording someone saying the question and different answers. I'd think that would be the same as someone saying them; unless having someone physical say the question to them at the time they are taking the test is what they need..

DC

Quote from: NCO forever on March 27, 2009, 07:22:58 PM
When they do switch to online tests maybe they can just recording someone saying the question and different answers. I'd think that would be the same as someone saying them; unless having someone physical say the question to them at the time they are taking the test is what they need..
I believe the white paper mentions units being able to print out hard copies of the test to administer the old fashioned way, or to use in giving oral tests. They do realize that some cadets need the oral, and not all cadets have easy access to the internet, so there will be options to deal with those situations.