SIMS and CAPWATCH

Started by stratoflyer, March 22, 2009, 11:22:00 PM

stratoflyer

Well. I know there is this little secret among some squadrons called SIMS. What is it and where can I get it? Should I get it?

What's CAPWACTH exactly and how practical is it in a cadet squadron?

Or is all this obsolete now that cadet promotions can be done online?
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Eclipse

Neither is obsolete as SIMS tracks a lot more than just promotions

Capwatch is downloaded through eServices. You have to have the rights to access it.

SIMS is downloaded from http://wwwsquadroncommand.com  it has very simple and straightforward instructions for installation.  It requires you have Microsoft Access on the machine you want to run it on.

Basically you download and install SIMS and any add-ons you want to run, spend some time setting up your unit (name, insignia, etc.), then download the capwatch database and import the files into the SIMS install on your machine.

Note:  The basic installation loads the information onto one machine only, and the update is one-way (i.e. capwatch always overwrites your machine for fields in which eServices is the authority, and doesn't touch the others).  It usually possible to copy the entire SIMS directory onto a memory key and move it to other machines or even run it off the key.

Make sure to always do backups.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

It is also possible to run mutiple computers off the same sims data base.

If you have more then one computer at your squadron you can have 2-3 people making updates at the same time.

We use it at Nellis Composite...we love it...
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

There are also instructions on setting up a VPN so that the files can be hosted in one place and accessed from anywhere.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

Where can i get microsoft access?

SarDragon

And bring a full wallet! $229!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on March 23, 2009, 11:10:32 PM
Where can i get microsoft access?

I wouldn't recommend it, you likely have no need for SIMS and even more likely won't have access to the appropriate databases from e-services.

This is better left to seniors or at a minimum high level cadets.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

swamprat86

Talk with your Wing IT.  National has licenses for this and other microsoft programs for CAP computers and use.

stratoflyer

A little bump, but what if I want a CAP USE ONLY laptop for my squadron. How would I go about getting that?

And I think that my Wing King and his court my be able to help get me access.  >:D
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

swamprat86

Laptops are supposed to be sent to wings for issue to the lower units.  We have had this in place at my wing now for about 6 years and we are already replacing the original issues.

Check the units S-3 and see if one has already been issued to the unit, if not contact Wing IT through your chain.