Basic Marksmanship Encampment

Started by TEAM SURGE, March 09, 2009, 03:21:40 AM

TEAM SURGE

I just got home from BME, probably one of my favorite activities I have done as a cadet. On the long ride home I asked myself a few questions.

Do you have to go to a BME to continue moving up?
-Pro-Marksman
-Marksman
-etc.

Could I possibly continue progressing at my communities rifle range?
This is something I am very interested in, ad would like to continue progressing.

Does anybody know a link to a list of the medals and awards for BME?
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Eclipse

Is this a CAWG program or something external?

"That Others May Zoom"

TEAM SURGE

C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Sounds like the NRA Marksmanship program.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/four_pos_Rifle.asp

This is the rating I use for the Junior Rifle program I run for my gun club

ThorntonOL

If I remember right CAP has a marksmanship badge for cadets that went through an NRA run marksmanship course. As far as I know there is only one level for CAP which earns you a mrksmanship patch or badge, as for moving up through the programs, I would check out your local sportsmen's club if you have such a group in your area.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: ThorntonOL on March 09, 2009, 03:33:15 PM
If I remember right CAP has a marksmanship badge for cadets that went through an NRA run marksmanship course. As far as I know there is only one level for CAP which earns you a mrksmanship patch or badge, as for moving up through the programs, I would check out your local sportsmen's club if you have such a group in your area.

That is what I am going to do today. yes it is ran through the NRA. I believe there ae only two wings that still have their program. Washington, and California. It was a great program.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

maverik

anybody know of the bling you get for going to one? I may have to attend to one after I sight my .22 air rifle looks like a great program.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

JayT

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on March 09, 2009, 06:55:59 PM

That is what I am going to do today. yes it is ran through the NRA. I believe there ae only two wings that still have their program. Washington, and California. It was a great program.

Incorrect, my Group or squadron does it every few months.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: SARADDICT on March 09, 2009, 08:36:45 PM
anybody know of the bling you get for going to one? I may have to attend to one after I sight my .22 air rifle looks like a great program.

Yeah it's a metal that says NRA qualifications, and you skill level
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: JThemann on March 09, 2009, 09:08:43 PM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on March 09, 2009, 06:55:59 PM

Incorrect, my Group or squadron does it every few months.

Great! It is a fun program!
Do you know if you can get higher skill levels if you do it at your own range?
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

JayT

It has to be verified.

Check over at Cadetstuff.org, there's a discussion about the NRA program.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

Is this an "Encampment" in the 52-16 vein with an emphasis on firearms, or just an overnight activity that is being called an encampment?

Just curious.

"That Others May Zoom"

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Eclipse on March 09, 2009, 09:36:39 PM
Is this an "Encampment" in the 52-16 vein with an emphasis on firearms, or just an overnight activity that is being called an encampment?

Just curious.

It was a two day event. Called an encampment. It had a very encampment like atmosphere.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

JayT

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on March 09, 2009, 09:43:40 PM

Just curious.

It was a two day event. Called an encampment. It had a very encampment like atmosphere.

It's not an encampment through. Hmmm, wonder who decided to call it that.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: JThemann on March 10, 2009, 02:58:03 AM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on March 09, 2009, 09:43:40 PM

Just curious.

It's not an encampment through. Hmmm, wonder who decided to call it that.

Its a pretty common nomenclature for overnight activities.  The issue is that sometimes new cadets and seniors don't know the difference between something like this and a "real" encampment, and come back wearing ribbons, etc.

Johnson Flight Encampment went by that name for years, and the "is this an encampment discussion" ensued every year - its been renamed now to Johnson Flight Academy to avoid the confusion.

"That Others May Zoom"

ThorntonOL

For overnight events or weekends, my unit calls them bivouacs  (Know I spelled that wrong.)
over encampments, as for us encampments means the annual one the wing puts on each year.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

DC

Quote from: ThorntonOL on March 13, 2009, 02:56:24 AM
For overnight events or weekends, my unit calls them bivouacs (Know I spelled that wrong.)
over encampments, as for us encampments means the annual one the wing puts on each year.
My squadron also. Encampment refers to the typical 'Encampment', and anything else is a Bivouac (Actually you spelled it right...) or just an Activity...

SaBeR33

Here's the link to the overview of the programs available: http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/index.asp

Here's the link to the store where you can buy the various packets that have the certificates, patches, and medals: http://materials.nrahq.org/go/products.aspx?cat=Skill%20Rating%20Packets & the one for the "uniform bling" if purchased separately http://materials.nrahq.org/go/products.aspx?cat=Medals%20and%20Bars

I'm starting the program for my current squadron as I did for the last squadron I was a member of that is still going strong with at least fifty cadets having achieved the initial qualification.