New Cadet Training Program

Started by Struts, May 06, 2012, 05:58:22 PM

Struts

Yes I know it has been discussed before. I want to take this discussion down a different path than, "Cadet Great Start". I am the Tango Flight Sergeant at my Squadron and we do not use Cadet Great Start as you may have guessed. What I am wondering is how I should teach my new cadets and what would be a priority? Drill? Uniforms? Customs and Courtesies? Your help would be greatly appreciated in this matter.

Eclipse

You should use Great Start.

Units should not be reinventing a perfectly round wheel.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I must say one thing.. there's about 50 years of experience, thought, and such .. behind the Great Start, 52-16, and the likes.

They're actually quite well thought out.

Struts

Yes Cadet Great Start is a great program but I am just talking about until it gets implemented. I'm not trying to replace it at all. Just trying to have a supplement for it until it gets implemented.

crisptheyounger

I would recommend looking through the Great Start curriculum and picking and choosing what you want to cover in the interim until you are able to fully implement the program. You don't have to do the full Great Start program in order to do any of the lessons from the curriculum. Many of the lesson plans in there can stand on their own. You can skip the classes that are specific to the program (P2 Cadet Cadre Training, 1.4 Great Start Overview, etc.) and focus on classes pretty much any cadet introductory program should teach (2.21 Grade Insignia, 2.4 The Cadet Uniform, 5.1 Introduction to the Core Values, etc.). The Great Start program was developed in such a way that it can be adapted to local squadron needs.

Since you will probably also be giving classes in order to help your new cadets pass their leadership test, I would check out the Learn to Lead lesson plans. The first three lesson plans (Pg. 4 What is Character?, Pg. 8 Air Force Tradition (Chain of Command), Pg. 13 Air Force Tradition (Drill & Ceremonies)) cover the key concepts of Chapter 1.
Cadet: 2006-2013, Spaatz #1873

lordmonar

Quote from: Cashboy on May 06, 2012, 05:58:22 PM
Yes I know it has been discussed before. I want to take this discussion down a different path than, "Cadet Great Start". I am the Tango Flight Sergeant at my Squadron and we do not use Cadet Great Start as you may have guessed. What I am wondering is how I should teach my new cadets and what would be a priority? Drill? Uniforms? Customs and Courtesies? Your help would be greatly appreciated in this matter.
As everyone just said....the whole point to Great Start is that you don't have to ask the questions you just did.  It's already canned and in the box.

Now....you don't have to follow Great Start 100%.......by all means modify it to fit you squadrons operating pattern add or subtract as you see fit.  But don't reinvent the wheel if you don't have to.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Cashboy on May 06, 2012, 06:38:55 PM
Yes Cadet Great Start is a great program but I am just talking about until it gets implemented. I'm not trying to replace it at all. Just trying to have a supplement for it until it gets implemented.

Why would there be a delay?

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Four weeks. Pick it up now, read it for the next meeting. Start then. You don't need to start at the beginning. On your third week? Start at the third week.  Done.

Yes, you don't have to do it 100% - you can make changes for your flow, you can throw the whole thing out even. However.. you're asking questions that it answers, provides for, etc. Lots of thought has been put into that already. It's a great set to start with. Lets you concentrate on the cadets, and not what teach them.

Struts

Thank You all for the help and I will look over the Cadet Great Start materials when I get the chance.

Cap'n

You say it is delayed? If you don't mind me asking, why so? And for how long? If it is going to be no more then a week, then I say get them started on the basic customers and courtesies, the chain of command, basic drilling, and the learn to lead chapter 1 textbook. If these cadets are here for their first and second meeting, branch on what they already know, and start getting them prepared for passing their Curry. It the program is going to be delayed more then a meeting or two, try to fix that, or continue on a basic training program.

Another few things to teach them is how to report in, facts about CAP, and ranks. A huge thing for new cadets to learn is how to greet their NCOs and Officers as early as possible, and get them to memorize and recognize all ranks, and how to properly address them.

And listen to all the posts above. They are the ones who really know what they are talking about. I am just talking on experience from being in a Tango Flight/Indoc Flight myself, not teaching it.