definition of cross country

Started by JGremlin, April 09, 2009, 01:05:25 PM

CASH172

Quote from: DG on April 17, 2009, 11:06:26 AM
Does anyone know if the pilots in the Colgan Air accident in Buffalo were rated under Part 141 or Part 142?

I looked up the first officer's education and it said she attended Central Washington Univ, which is currently a Part 141 school.  I couldn't find much on the captain, but he was an experienced pilot and could've trained under a Part 142 syllabus for advanced training. 

es_g0d

QuoteWhen I was trained up for G1000 out at Independece, KS, we flew 90% of the training in IMC.  Didn't even notice.

That's cuz you never removed your noggin from the 'head magnet', DG!  :) 

Ribbing aside, I'll caution everyone--to include myself--to not be so enamored with the technology that you forget to look outside.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

DG

Quote from: es_g0d on April 19, 2009, 06:08:25 AM
QuoteWhen I was trained up for G1000 out at Independece, KS, we flew 90% of the training in IMC.  Didn't even notice.

Ribbing aside, I'll caution everyone--to include myself--to not be so enamored with the technology that you forget to look outside.

Col Ed Lewis comes to mind.

Ed gave my Form 5 in the GA-8 in Mojave.  And he bought us dinner the night before in a cantina in Rosamund.

A great guy who was the oldest test pilot on the payroll at NASA.  25,000 hours.

flynd94

Quote from: DG on April 19, 2009, 02:55:24 AM
Quote from: JGremlin on April 19, 2009, 01:40:38 AM
Quote from: DG on April 18, 2009, 11:53:32 PM
I can't understand, if you are flying IFR, why you would want to avoid IMC.  ???

Why would you the student want to avoid IMC? You wouldn't. Why would you the CFII want to avoid IMC? You wouldn't. Why would you the school owner and policy maker want your students and instructors to avoid IMC? You wouldn't. Unless you knew that your instructors were training your students only to pass checkrides rather than preparing them to be safe and competant pilots who are capable of handling a plane in IMC without incident.

Does anyone know if the pilots in the Colgan Air accident in Buffalo were trained and rated in one of these schools?

Rant On
And why does that matter?  They were both trained according to their company's OP SPEC's and, both took/passed their initial PC's (Proficiency Checks).  A PC is the equivalent to your ATP ride. 
Rant Off

Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

PHall

Quote from: DG on April 19, 2009, 10:57:43 AM
Quote from: es_g0d on April 19, 2009, 06:08:25 AM

Col Ed Lewis comes to mind.

Ed gave my Form 5 in the GA-8 in Mojave.  And he bought us dinner the night before in a cantina in Rosamund.

A great guy who was the oldest test pilot on the payroll at NASA.  25,000 hours.

We had the same problem in the C-141 when we got our Glass Cockpits too.

This was also listed as a "cause" in the Dover C-5 crash too.