Starting flight lessons

Started by maverik, March 28, 2009, 11:34:13 PM

maverik

good my flight instructor is really nice. As for some of the material most I get some I don't but I'm learning.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

MSgt Van

If you haven't mastered the landing yet...
When I was in training I thought I'd never get the hang of the final flare/touchdown.  I was getting very frustrated and anxious about landings. Of course my CFI told me that it would come. Bottom line, from the point where I knew I'd never be able to land a darn airplane to being able to set 'er down reliably by myself was only about 1.5 hours of actual instruction.

DBlair

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 10, 2009, 07:55:37 AM
Quote from: DBlair on April 07, 2009, 03:50:52 PM
After reading over this thread, I just realized that the original post was made by a Cadet. As a result, I have the following suggestions to offer:

Take advantage of the greatly-reduced cost of flying lessons through CAP as a Cadet. Be it with a CAP member who happens to be a CFI or through the various flight activities (flight encampments, etc) that get you to solo- or at least let you rack up a bunch of hours.

I urge you to seek out who in your area might be a CAP CFI. My old unit (back when I was a Cadet) had 3 of them and the only cost involved was for fuel. As a result, my squadron had a variety of Cadet Pilots- a few who later became commercial pilots and a couple who ended up as military fighter pilots.

The opportunities are there to learn to fly in the Cadet program, just seek them out and take advantage of this while you can. This is one of my regrets- although I did log quite a few hours, I didn't fully take advantage of the opportunities available as a Cadet. Now, over a decade later, I'm paying quite a bit more to finish up my license when it could have all been done years ago and at a greatly reduced price. Best of luck to you in your flying endeavors!

The one problem I have seen with CAP CFI's training cadets is finding one willing to take the cadet all the way through their certificate free of charge. remember, CFI's are professionals, Its a business. Its ok to give a free leson here and there. but an entire course for free? Well, maybe in your area you have that, but I have not seen it in my area.

Yea, we used to have this problem as well. While the CFIs in our unit were willing to give plenty of lessons, the Cadets usually had to fly with a few different CFIs in order to finally get their license. It was a complicated and roundabout way, but it was eventually possible to accomplish.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

maverik

Okay so after some meetings I finally recieved what it'll cost to do this which is:
22 hours of flight instruction in C172     $3300
18 HOURS SOLO IN C172                       $1890
20 HOURS GROUND INSTRUCTION          $900
STUDENT PILOT KIT                                $226
SECTIONAL CHART                                   $7.60
FLIGHT PHYSICAL                                    $90
WRITTEN TEST FEE                                  $90
CHECKRIDE                                              $335
TOTAL                                                       $6,858.60

4 thousand less than I thought I would spend I guess I pay this all up fornt. But I think I will join the Flight club as it is a $50 deposit and $25 dollars a month but saves me $410 dollars on the up front costs.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

CASH172

It looks like those costs are associated with finishing a license at the bare minimum requirements for flight time.  I'd advise you to be willing to spend a little bit more in case you struggle through a section or go through a learning curve.  Since you're paying up front, this probably isn't up to you, but you might be able to save on the ground instruction if you use home study kits or the internet.  As far as sectionals and charts, you should expect to be spending more than $7.60 for your entire course. 

airdale

1) That is not what it will cost.  IIRC the average flight hours to the PPL is more like 60.  Your $10K figure is closer to what you will spend than this figure is.

2) I would absolutely refuse to pay it all up front.  There is no business reason for the school to request that except to make sure they get your money even if flying doesn't work out for you.  It also makes you an unsecured creditor.  If they have business problems you are s.o.l.  It may be possible for you to avoid the unsecured creditor risk by paying with a credit card but personally I would walk away before paying everything up front.  Alternatively, ask them whether they will guarantee your PPL for that price if you pay up front.  Ho, ho, ho, ...

3) If there is even the tiniest question, get your medical before you spend any money.

4) $45/hour for the instructor is high, IMHO.  You better demand an experienced one for that price.  See prior post.  The good news is $105 for a 172 is not a bad rate.

5) You can shave a little bit by buying your student pilot books, etc. on eBay.

6) Cash172 is right about the ground instruction too.  Buy Sporty's or King courses on eBay, sell when you're done with them.   I like faatest.com but there are other online test practice options too.  I'm sure you're bright; if you work hard and maybe buy a few extra (used) books on eBay, you should be able to cut that ground school cost to 1/3 or less.

flyguy06

DO NOT pay in full up frontl. It is better to pay as you go. Also, I agree that maybe you should get your medical first tomake sure you are physically fit before you pursue this endeavor.

As far as gorund school is concerned. Some schools go strictly by pt 141 and have a set sylllabus. AT our school, we use Jeppensen. SO you have to have that particular kit.

At any rate. It does cost about $6500-8,000 dollars. Plan on finishing in about 60 hours of flihgt time as well. Good luck to you.