Attention, all "less than perfect" pilots

Started by D242, August 10, 2008, 04:53:57 PM

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

awnuts

Maybe you need a reading lesson in FAA speak.  After five years, one could make 127K in salary and benefits.  Now, I don't know about you, but my mortgage company doesn't include my benefits into  my income, and they certainly won't accept them for payment.  I will say it again, no body gets hired ( or got hired) at 127K per year.  In fact, if you use what GM or Ford puts their benefits cost at, the FAA is way to low on that side of the ledger.

So, to review, if one got hired in 2006 and survived five years of training at DFW or ORD, under the old pay rules, they might make 127K with benefits, about 87K without.  Under the new rules, subtract 15 grand for a job that requires a class 2 medical, mandatory retirement at age 56.  So, the incentive to invest in this career field keeps disappearing.  None of my college peers have to work my hours, and they can work until they are well into their 60s.  That is a decade of earnings that I give up for a little more money on the front end. 

Bush and company are headed for "pay to play" in aviation, highways, and homeland security (70% of the intelligence budget goes to contractors).  A contract controller at SWF will make more than a controller hired in 2007 at JFK for the rest of his career.

lordmonar

Either way...I'm retiring from the AF in 15 days...my gross right now is $68K.....so again...not a lot of sympathy from me.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

D242

I'll be away from the computer for a couple of days, so if anyone replies to anything I've posted, don't take my lack of response as a lack of interest.

MIKE

Drift-a-topic terminated.  From ATC cracking down on pilots, to how much controllers make.
Mike Johnston