Main Menu

CFI to Captain

Started by Flying Pig, March 29, 2008, 05:14:09 PM

mikeylikey

^ I don't understand Col......the review board does it's own thing outside of written guidelines?  (Maybe I am a little slow on the uptake here, but that is what I got from your sentence)
What's up monkeys?

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: FW on March 30, 2008, 09:44:55 PM
Waivers.  Let me explain.  One can be waived up to 1/2 the TIG requirement for promotion under special circumstances; say you were appointed wing/cs. Your are currently a Maj. and the CC would like you to be a Lt Col.  You've been a Maj for 2 years and have a Garber.  The wing/cc puts you in for a promotion.  The region/cc says "great".  It goes to Natl. and the promotion board agrees.  Ta Da! you're promoted.
FW- The thing is that you did say this.  Everything above appears that you read the regs and that is how you answered the question- based off the regs.  You even bolded things.  This is how incorrect information gets spread and people start doign the wrong thing.  I understand you saw this done at nationals, but this does not mean it is the "requirement".  As we have seen from the previous posts, the reg outlines the requirements.  Keep in mind that people read everything you write and some may have stopped there- with your last post and said cool- just got to meet half time.  In reality this is how it may have been on some occasions, but not correct per the regs.  Not trying to put you off here, but this thread has shown that several people are saying things that they "believe" are true but in reality are not, once people read the regs. 
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

FW

Members need to read the regs fully.  Also, understand that any promotion board which meets makes recommendations to the commander.  It's the national commander who makes these final decisions.  When you read these regs., and not just 35-5, there many places where it implicitly calls for judgement by the commander or board.  This is a two edge sword.  However, if we are to abide by our core values and have a strong ethical standard.  These regs won't be abused.  
Understand, I'm not commenting on promotions to CAPT for CFI or professional appointments, etc.; just a waiver of requirements to Maj or Lt Col.  You need to check with your region commander for waivers from 2Lt to Capt.
There's nothing else I can contribute to this thread.  If you need more info, I suggest you check out the CAP Knowledgebase .