Main Menu

CFI to Captain

Started by Flying Pig, March 29, 2008, 05:14:09 PM

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 30, 2008, 04:47:28 AM

I look at this from another perspective.  You only get to use 1 of the special promotions.

Either Mitchell to Lt -or- CFI to Capt.

Sounds like he has the Mitchell to Lt used, wait out the TIG.
Reg please?  I had not seen that before.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

CadetProgramGuy

No reg that I know off, just my Opinion

flyguy06

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 30, 2008, 03:29:32 AM
The Officer in question here received 1st Lt FEB 2007, thus only needs to wait until August 2008 to get TIG promotion to CAPTAIN?  Why the rush FlyGuy06?

flyguy06....don't be angry with me, that info came PM'ed to me.  I am in no way psychic, or have NHQ connections (or do I  :o   )

I'm not angry with you at all. I just disagreed with you. I am a CFI also and I know I dont have a lot of money. It took hard work two overseas tours to Bosnia and Iraq to get the money to fund my flying. S

Its all good.

RiverAux

The California Wing supplement seems adequate to me in clearing up some ambiguity in the national regulation. 

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 30, 2008, 05:20:02 AM
No reg that I know off, just my Opinion
Why do you think it should only be used once?  I mean people are always learning and growing as humans.  An example is like someone joins the darkside and is promoted to say 2d Lt by earning the Mitchell.  Then goes on to work real hard and earn a CFI or maybe even finishes a teaching grad school program several years later why shouldn't they at least have a chance to earn the next promotion using a professional appointment?  I guess I think we should reward people for hard work and not make up imaginary rules for delaying promotion.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

FW

There is no prohibition on the number of promotions for "special promotions".
You may be given an initial grade of 1st Lt because of Earhart, promoted 1 year later to CAPT for CFI, then in 6 months be promoted to Maj. for becoming a group/cc then, after a month or so, be promoted directly to COL for being appointed as Wing/CC.    Such things have happened.

Now, a member can only be promoted on a waiver just once.  I always recommend saving a waiver for promotions to LT COL.

mikeylikey

^ What would constitute a Waiver?

What's up monkeys?

ßτε

^See CAPR 35-5 paragraph 8e and paragraph 19.  They are technically "Exceptional Qualification" promotions.

SJFedor

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 30, 2008, 04:47:28 AM
The Officer in question here received 1st Lt FEB 2007, thus only needs to wait until August 2008 to get TIG promotion to CAPTAIN?  Why the rush FlyGuy06?

flyguy06....don't be angry with me, that info came PM'ed to me.  I am in no way psychic, or have NHQ connections (or do I  :o   )

I look at this from another perspective.  You only get to use 1 of the special promotions.

Either Mitchell to Lt -or- CFI to Capt.

Sounds like he has the Mitchell to Lt used, wait out the TIG.

Well, to thoroughly defeat this....
Quote from: CAPR35-5
g. After initial appointment, members may advance to the grades authorized for higher mission related skills as higher ratings are obtained without reference to time-in-grade upon recommendation by the unit commander.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

ßτε

Quote from: FW on March 30, 2008, 03:47:41 PM
Now, a member can only be promoted on a waiver just once.  I always recommend saving a waiver for promotions to LT COL.

I am not sure where it states that a member can only be promoted on a waiver just once. I can't find it in CAPR 35-5, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

FW

^ It doesn't say waivers are granted only once anywhere.  However, as most waivers are for Maj. or Lt Col, there's not much more you can expect.  Also, the National Promotions board, to my knowledge, (and I don't know too much  ;D) has never granted two waivers to the same person before.  
It's just that you can make it to Capt. w/o any waivers.  You can make it to Maj by stepping up to the plate as a group/cc.  For what other reasons would a waiver be necessary more than once?

Eclipse

Quote from: FW on March 30, 2008, 07:14:04 PM
^ It doesn't say waivers are granted only once anywhere.  However, as most waivers are for Maj. or Lt Col, there's not much more you can expect.  Also, the National Promotions board, to my knowledge, (and I don't know too much  ;D) has never granted two waivers to the same person before. 
It's just that you can make it to Capt. w/o any waivers.  You can make it to Maj by stepping up to the plate as a group/cc.  For what other reasons would a waiver be necessary more than once?

I think you guys are mixing "waiver" with other types of special appointment, etc.
I view a "waiver" as an extraordinary promotion where the member "needs" or "deserves" the higher grade because of some special skill or duty, but doesn't meet other requirements.  The (defeated) discussion at the NB about Region Chaplans being Lt. Col's would fall into "waiver land"

There is no prohibition on the number of times a member can be granted a special appointment, nor at what level a member can walk in the door, assuming the echelon with authority grants the promotion or initial grade.

Another example is Lt. Col. for the commander of a legislative squadron.

Otherwise, you meet the requirment or you don't, and if things change personally and it fills a box that provides more grade, so be it.

I see no reason, a member could not walk in the door as a 1st Lt/new unit CC because of cadet activity, make captain after a year at the unit, then make major upon appointment as a Group CC.

In both cases its the Wing CC's call (some regions are reviewing all SP's now), and if he says "cool", so be it.  Odds are this would rarely be a low-visibility empty shirt.

If he's a wunderkin and is appointed to a Wing or Region CC a year later, so be it.

I am personally aware of several cadets who slowed at Lt. Col., then enlisted to storied careers in the MC$ and came back to CAP as strong leaders who know the program.

The above progression would not be inappropriate in those cases.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Thats funny....so one of our "nameless" members on CAPTalk is either in, or closely associated to my unit.  Im curious to know if their info is accurate.

FW

Waivers.  Let me explain.  One can be waived up to 1/2 the TIG requirement for promotion under special circumstances; say you were appointed wing/cs. Your are currently a Maj. and the CC would like you to be a Lt Col.  You've been a Maj for 2 years and have a Garber.  The wing/cc puts you in for a promotion.  The region/cc says "great".  It goes to Natl. and the promotion board agrees.  Ta Da! you're promoted.

A direct appointment to Lt Col. is not considered a waiver.  It is considered a "special appointment".  

In any case.  If you would like a waiver to be promoted "before your time".  You need to: have a very special reason, be reccomended (usually by your wing/cc) and be approved by the National Promotion Board.

Waived vs. Promoted for other reasons.  There is a difference.

ßτε

Quote from: FW on March 30, 2008, 09:44:55 PM
Waivers.  Let me explain.  One can be waived up to 1/2 the TIG requirement for promotion under special circumstances;

Can you please indicate where this is in the regulations. I just can't find anything as particular as waiving up to 1/2 the TIG. The part I read doesn't have any particulars on what can and cannot be waived.

FW

CAPR 35-5 regarding waivers:
e. In unusual cases where an exceptionally qualified individual does not meet the promotion eligibility criteria of the applicable promotion method outlined in 8a above, a waiver may be requested by the unit commander, provided he or she can prove that the member concerned has a skill or background unique to CAP which makes him or her eminently qualified for the grade recommended ahead of his or her peers. Each region commander has authority to waive promotion eligibility criteria for the grades of second lieutenant through captain for exceptionally qualified personnel assigned to the region headquarters and subordinate units within the region. This authority will not be delegated. Requests to waive promotion eligibility criteria for major and lieutenant colonel will be considered by the National Promotion Review Board. The following procedures will apply:
National Promotion Board has taken this to mean TIG waiver.  Traditionally, you must have all requiremets for the grade.  However, in very rare cases, the National/CC has promoted some individuals for superior duty performance, ie. Hawk Mt. School/Director, w/o going through the usual procedures.  I guess there are exceptions for every guideline. 
Anyway, I guess we're getting away from the topic.

Pylon

Quote from: bte on March 30, 2008, 10:12:44 PM
Quote from: FW on March 30, 2008, 09:44:55 PM
Waivers.  Let me explain.  One can be waived up to 1/2 the TIG requirement for promotion under special circumstances;

Can you please indicate where this is in the regulations. I just can't find anything as particular as waiving up to 1/2 the TIG. The part I read doesn't have any particulars on what can and cannot be waived.

It's just another case of people completely making stuff up.  There's seems to be an awful lot of that in this thread.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

FW

So, Michael, are you saying I'm making this stuff up?  Well, I guess I could be. However, With about 7 years experience as a NB member and with over 3 years as a member of the MARB,  I think I have a pretty good idea of how things run in CAP.
If I'm mistaken on this, can you find me anything which will contradict my posts?

Pylon

Quote from: FW on March 31, 2008, 02:35:08 AM
So, Michael, are you saying I'm making this stuff up?  Well, I guess I could be. However, With about 7 years experience as a NB member and with over 3 years as a member of the MARB,  I think I have a pretty good idea of how things run in CAP.
If I'm mistaken on this, can you find me anything which will contradict my posts?

Yeah, CAPR 35-5.  One can be waived any or all of the required TIG.  There's no stipulation for 1/2.  Though I don't have such impressive bullet points on my CAP CV, I've watched people in my squadron get special promotions/waivers/whatever you want to call them to Captain with virtually no TIG clocked towards it.

Perhaps the National Promotions Board has it's own internal criteria for Major and Lt Col promotions, but it's not a stipulation of CAPR 35-5 and it would only then apply to Major and Lt Col promotions... 2d Lt through Capt is still handled at the discretion of the Region Commanders.

What I'm trying to point out is that a lot of people continually throw things out here in this thread as "this is how it is", when in fact it's just opinion, observed practice from their area, or simply bad information.

But if you have knowledge of other requirements/criteria that the National Promotions Board  stipulates, please do share so that we can all benefit from the knowledge.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

FW

Quote from: FW on March 30, 2008, 10:39:17 PM
CAPR 35-5 regarding waivers:
e. In unusual cases where an exceptionally qualified individual does not meet the promotion eligibility criteria of the applicable promotion method outlined in 8a above, a waiver may be requested by the unit commander, provided he or she can prove that the member concerned has a skill or background unique to CAP which makes him or her eminently qualified for the grade recommended ahead of his or her peers. Each region commander has authority to waive promotion eligibility criteria for the grades of second lieutenant through captain for exceptionally qualified personnel assigned to the region headquarters and subordinate units within the region. This authority will not be delegated. Requests to waive promotion eligibility criteria for major and lieutenant colonel will be considered by the National Promotion Review Board. The following procedures will apply:
National Promotion Board has taken this to mean TIG waiver.  Traditionally, you must have all requiremets for the grade.  However, in very rare cases, the National/CC has promoted some individuals for superior duty performance, ie. Hawk Mt. School/Director, w/o going through the usual procedures.  I guess there are exceptions for every guideline.   Anyway, I guess we're getting away from the topic.

I never said this was in the regs.  Just that the National Promotion Review Board has its own guidelines.  This is what has been explained to me.  This is what CAP/DP has confirmed with me.  I'll stand by my comments.