Amazon planning to use drones for local deliveries

Started by Eclipse, December 02, 2013, 03:38:08 PM

Panache

Майор Хаткевич

Pulsar

C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

TexasCadet

Quote from: 4fhoward on December 06, 2013, 09:42:25 PM
Walmart to install SAMs to counter Amazon drones.
http://www.rockcitytimes.com/walmart-install-mini-surface-air-missiles-store-roofs-shoot-amazon-drones/

Walmart-missile

This is awesome! However, maybe Walmart could use radar-guided bullets.

Sooner or later, these missile operators will start complaining about low wages. Perhaps Walmart could use anti-drone drones? >:D

MIKE

SAM is overkill... Just need something like a CIWS in a smaller caliber like 5.56 or 7.62.  Radar lock and a quick burst and bye bye drone.
Mike Johnston

a2capt

Wait, you mean they make missiles at SAM's club?

sardak

a2capt

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: MIKE on December 07, 2013, 01:01:05 AM
SAM is overkill... Just need something like a CIWS in a smaller caliber like 5.56 or 7.62.  Radar lock and a quick burst and bye bye drone.
There's no kill like overkill.

Quote from: a2capt on December 07, 2013, 01:11:37 AM
Wait, you mean they make missiles at SAM's club?

SarDragon

There was a bit on the news tonight about this, and they showed some vid clips of birds of prey attacking various RC aircraft. It wasn't pretty, and the RC stuff lost every time, involving some harsh crashes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FlyTiger77

Quote from: SarDragon on December 07, 2013, 11:13:42 AM
There was a bit on the news tonight about this, and they showed some vid clips of birds of prey attacking various RC aircraft. It wasn't pretty, and the RC stuff lost every time, involving some harsh crashes.

I have a video clip somewhere taken from my RC helicopter (as it was falling out of control, but that is a different story) that shows a red-tailed hawk diving at it.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

PHall

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on December 07, 2013, 01:00:24 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on December 07, 2013, 11:13:42 AM

I have a video clip somewhere taken from my RC helicopter (as it was falling out of control, but that is a different story) that shows a red-tailed hawk diving at it.

My money is on the Hawk! :o

TexasCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on December 07, 2013, 03:11:33 AM

Does this mean that the Amazon drones will be equipped with self-defense systems, radar-jamming equipment, and chaff?

PHall

Quote from: TexasCadet on December 07, 2013, 04:18:45 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 07, 2013, 03:11:33 AM

Does this mean that the Amazon drones will be equipped with self-defense systems, radar-jamming equipment, and chaff?

The next frame shows the laser on the drone taking out the missile! >:D

Garibaldi

I see something in the near future...enterprising and evil cadets using their newfound model rocketry skills to create mini-SAMs and having a field day around this time of year. It could happen.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

TexasCadet

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 07, 2013, 10:29:29 PM
I see something in the near future...enterprising and evil cadets using their newfound model rocketry skills to create mini-SAMs and having a field day around this time of year. It could happen.

Exactly! Now I have a renewed interest in rockets!