Amazon planning to use drones for local deliveries

Started by Eclipse, December 02, 2013, 03:38:08 PM

Panache

Quote from: PHall on December 03, 2013, 03:57:32 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on December 03, 2013, 03:09:38 AM
Quote from: SARDOC on December 03, 2013, 02:35:22 AM
I'll have to sit a couple of miles away from out from one of the center's with a shotgun and see what comes my way.
Pull!
Decisions, decisions.  Buck shot or bird shot....

"Darn kids and their drones!  Get off my lawn... er... airspace!"

TexasCadet

Quote from: PHall on December 03, 2013, 04:30:31 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on December 03, 2013, 04:06:20 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 03, 2013, 03:57:32 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on December 03, 2013, 03:09:38 AM
Quote from: SARDOC on December 03, 2013, 02:35:22 AM
I'll have to sit a couple of miles away from out from one of the center's with a shotgun and see what comes my way.
Pull!

Decisions, decisions.  Buck shot or bird shot....

Rock salt ought to do the trick.  >:D Or a slug if you're a real hot shot.  ;)

.22cal rifle if you're feelin' froggy!

No, no, no.

^
This one.

A.Member

Anyone that thinks this is truly viable possibility in the foreseeable future needs to get their head checked....or better yet simply PM me with all your bank account info and I'll make sure you're first on the list.

Simply stated, this is horrible "journalism" (and I use that term in the loosest manner possible).   This was merely a PR effort by Amazon...and on Cyber Monday no less. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Майор Хаткевич

People said the same thing about airplanes 120 years ago.

TexasCadet

But that was 120 years ago! Now, with excellent public-school education, we know a lot more! :D

Storm Chaser

Quote from: TexasCadet on December 04, 2013, 03:22:24 PM
But that was 120 years ago! Now, with excellent public-school education, we know a lot more! :D

[emphasis mine]

Which reminds me; shouldn't you be at school right now? ;)

Майор Хаткевич

Around 1875 there was a patent officer who said they should close the patent office as everything possible has been invented.

a2capt

Flying hacker contraption hunts other drones, turns them into zombies

Ever wanted your own botnet of flying drones? SkyJack can help.

Serial hacker Samy Kamkar has released all the hardware and software specifications that hobbyists need to build an aerial drone that seeks out other drones in the air, hacks them, and turns them into a conscripted army of unmanned vehicles under the attacker's control. ...

A.Member

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 04, 2013, 04:54:08 PM
Around 1875 there was a patent officer who said they should close the patent office as everything possible has been invented.
Not even remotely relevant to the real issue here.

You clearly have no understanding of supply chain and retail.   While there are technology hurdles to overcome (some are not so trivial - payload size, weather, etc), there are much more significant non-technical hurdles, not the least of which include environmental, legal/regulatory, logistical/fulfillment, and finanical. 

Do you know anything about Amazon's business model?  How do their margins compare with other retailers?  If so, why?  When you understand these things in more detail, you'll understand why this is really a joke. 

It's fun to dream...and will fulfillment be handled another way someday? I'm sure it will.  And when it happens it'll be a game changer.   What will that change ultimately look like?  I don't know.  Perhaps drones will play a role.  But in 4 -5 years?   Not a chance.   And in 30 minutes or less?  If not, do I get my pizza for free?

Even if you don't understand supply chain, take a step back and think about it for a minute and you realize that Amazon's statements are pretty silly.  It's a PR move (and an arguably effective one), nothing more.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

a2capt

Quote from: A.Member on December 04, 2013, 05:57:49 PMAnd in 30 minutes or less?  If not do I get my pizza for free?
..and remember when that used to be the case? 30 minutes or it's free?

No more. After a few lawsuits alleging that "guarantee" fostered an environment where drivers were penalized, thus encouraging them to drive like maniacs and run over people..

Now you see delivery as a line item, instead of it being included in the cost of the product.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: A.Member on December 04, 2013, 05:57:49 PM

You clearly have no understanding of supply chain and retail.   While there are technology hurdles to overcome (some are not so trivial - payload size, weather, etc), there are much more significant non-technical hurdles, not the least of which include environmental, legal/regulatory, logistical/fulfillment, and finanical. 

Do you know anything about Amazon's business model?  How do their margins compare with other retailers?  If so, why?  When you understand these things in more detail, you'll understand why this is really a joke. 

It's fun to dream...and will fulfillment be handled another way someday? I'm sure it will.  And when it happens it'll be a game changer.   What will that change ultimately look like?  I don't know.  Perhaps drones will play a role.  But in 4 -5 years?   Not a chance.   And in 30 minutes or less?  If not, do I get my pizza for free?

Even if you don't understand supply chain, take a step back and think about it for a minute and you realize that Amazon's statements are pretty silly.  It's a PR move (and an arguably effective one), nothing more.

I know plenty on supply chains and retail. And Amazon's business model. which is why they COULD pull it off.

A.Member

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 04, 2013, 06:34:04 PM

I know plenty on supply chains and retail. And Amazon's business model. which is why they COULD pull it off.
Really?  Then answer the basic questions I posed earlier.  Who is their competition?  How do their margins compare?  What is their fulfillment model?  How will these things enable Amazon to acheive their dream?  I'd love to see your responses.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: A.Member on December 04, 2013, 06:45:26 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 04, 2013, 06:34:04 PM

Really?  Then answer the basic questions I posed earlier.  Who is their competition?  How do their margins compare?  What is their fulfillment model?  How will these things enable Amazon to acheive their dream?  I'd love to see your responses.

Did plenty of that for my college professors. Have a finance degree to prove it. But I'm not about to write a dissertation here (and that's about as much typing as answering those questions would take) just to appease you to try to prove that I have no idea about how Amazon works, their slim margins (which are not, really), or why you think they can't pull something like this off. Nobody thought they would pull off "free" 2 day delivery either. Nobody thought this expensive e-reader thing would take off. Nobody thought Amazon could sell anything outside of books.  The joke is on them.

A.Member

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 04, 2013, 08:27:41 PM
Did plenty of that for my college professors. Have a finance degree to prove it. But I'm not about to write a dissertation here (and that's about as much typing as answering those questions would take) just to appease you to try to prove that I have no idea about how Amazon works, their slim margins (which are not, really), or why you think they can't pull something like this off. Nobody thought they would pull off "free" 2 day delivery either. Nobody thought this expensive e-reader thing would take off. Nobody thought Amazon could sell anything outside of books.  The joke is on them.
Got it.  You took a college class...so, you're all schooled up on supply chain and retail operations.  I stayed at Holiday Inn Express.   

My intent isn't to keep beating you up on this but you're well out of your sandbox here.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: A.Member on December 05, 2013, 12:02:37 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 04, 2013, 08:27:41 PM
Got it.  You took a college class...so, you're all schooled up on supply chain and retail operations.  I stayed at Holiday Inn Express.   

My intent isn't to keep beating you up on this but you're well out of your sandbox here.

Clearly.

Eclipse

Quote from: A.Member on December 04, 2013, 06:45:26 PMWho is their competition?

In what space?  Product sales?  Books?  Cloud Services?  It isn't a fixed market because they are in everything, thus shielded
from a lot of the market rubberband because one sector can make up for another.

They compete with just about everyone from Walmart to eBay to Google to Barnes and Noble.

How do their margins compare?
Again, which sector, not to mention it's mostly irreverent since they are sitting on piles of cash, nearly $3B, and they've made it clear
that short-term profitability isn't their main focus (pretty amazing, actually, in this tie where share holder value is the main focus
to see a successful company happy enough with just "being").

What is their fulfillment model?
Which one?  Direct sales? 3rd party fulfillment? Cloud services and media sales? Heck in that space they compete with some of their biggest customers.
In product sales their published model is increasing regional and local centers to put the product, especially those anticipated to be heavy sellers,
as near to the customer as possible - they also outsource fulfillment as well.  The other day I ordered pens from Amazon and
the box came from the Sam's club down the street. 

You might also have missed that they are poised to become the "Sunday Postmaster General".

Maybe they don't get launched from the fulfillment center, maybe the move out on the trucks and where possible
a central truck launches the deliveries for an entire subdivision and then retrieves them on the other side?

How will these things enable Amazon to acheive their dream? 

Hmmm, piles of cash, huge market influence, substantial share across diverse markets and sectors, partnering with their competitors, also piles
of cash, and being one of a few home-field-advantage businesses left with a world-wide reach and influence. 

Within that 4-5 year timeline supposed, drones will be 10-fold more sophisticated, while at the same time 3d printing
is going to disrupt the retail space pretty hard as well.  I'd guess instafulfillment will be the base model with
"whatever works" as the mantra.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

4fhoward

a2capt

TexasCadet

Quote from: a2capt on December 06, 2013, 12:58:41 AM

I heard this somewhere: "Soon, a new sport will develop: Inner-City Skeet Shooting."