New CAP Gridded Sectionals

Started by Check Pilot/Tow Pilot, August 08, 2013, 10:36:11 PM

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Duracharts has released CAP gridded charts made from their tear resistant material for only $12.50 each.  :clap:  :clap:

http://www.aerochartsupply.com/new-cap-gridded-charts-c-108.html

I order a set and I'll report back when they arrive.

Eeyore

They were selling them at Airventure this year. I didn't purchase a set, but a friend did, they seemed pretty nice.

SunDog

They are popular in my Wing, though we use a gridded TAC chart a lot, too ( DCA/BWI). I bought some spray stuff to waterproof (and preserve) gridded charts a while back. Worked OK.

Eclipse

While we still need to keep this skill, I literally can't remember the last time the term "grid" was used for
either a mission, training, or an Eval.

I don't think I've seen a gridded chart up on an ICP wall in 5+ years, nor discussed for anything other then
completing a Qual task, probably longer then that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Really?  I use them for every SAREX, every real world mission, NESA, our Mission Aircrew School, our Scanner School, local unit training, etc.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 09, 2013, 03:45:33 AM
While we still need to keep this skill, I literally can't remember the last time the term "grid" was used for

I don't think I've seen a gridded chart up on an ICP wall in 5+ years, nor discussed for anything other then

SarDragon

I've participated in half a dozen SAREXes in the last two years, and every one of them involved the use of a gridded chart. The last real mission I was on, that launched an aircraft, had gridded chart usage.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vento

Quote from: Eclipse on August 09, 2013, 03:45:33 AM

Your wing must be one of the few exceptions..... In my short 5 years with CAP I've already gone thru 3 charts that I've gridded myself due to tear and wear. I think I will give this Durachart a try.

a2capt

Yup, I've had to use them constantly, anytime I even do UDF.

I ended up printing a tiled one and comb bound it.  Helps when you have a machine like what Kinko's would have.. ;-)

LGM30GMCC

Personally I think the specially gridded maps are something we should move away from. They work best with sectionals and require a lot of pre-work to set one up. With the standardized grid method you can take any map with Lat/Long on it and arrange it to find the right grid without having to refer back to some other document. I think this is especially useful if you are doing cross agency work and everyone is on the same page and doesn't require specialized maps, just a similar background.

Additionally, some states, like Wyoming, are cut into pieces by the sectional system. There are 4 sectionals to cover the state. Get the wrong sectional and the grid numbers are in the wrong area. On a state-wide search that could waste time or worse.

jeders

I have to agree with Eclipse, haven't used a pre-gridded chart in probably 7 or 8 years. We use the new grid system which really removes the need for gridded charts.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JeffDG

Since Eclipse seems to have missed it...

Have these charts been approved by NHQ?

lordmonar

Quote from: jeders on August 09, 2013, 12:52:02 PM
I have to agree with Eclipse, haven't used a pre-gridded chart in probably 7 or 8 years. We use the new grid system which really removes the need for gridded charts.
We in NVWG still use the CAP grids.....I've been trying for six years to move away from that and go to the Cell System.....but you know how long it takes to affect change.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

Where does NHQ have to "approve" a gridded chart?

It's either right, or it's not. It's certainly not hard to make at all.

If so, then every member created chart must be submitted for approval.

There's plenty of checks and balances built into the workflow to ferret out a wonky chart.

jeders

Quote from: a2capt on August 09, 2013, 03:17:20 PM
Where does NHQ have to "approve" a gridded chart?

It's either right, or it's not. It's certainly not hard to make at all.

If so, then every member created chart must be submitted for approval.

There's plenty of checks and balances built into the workflow to ferret out a wonky chart.

I think that was sarcasm pointed to Eclipse due to his response regarding the W&B iPad app.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Luis R. Ramos

A2-

I read that comment by Jeff as sarcasm, a jibe at Eclipse for comments on another thread.

:P

Personally I agree with his comments on the computer app... But I will order these sectionals, I have been looking for a source!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

jeders

A few years ago I was evaluating the requal training for a guy whose MO had expired. I don't think I've ever seen anyone as happy as him when I told him we don't use the old grid system anymore.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Yep...was sarcasm.

Looking logically, a system that CAP created (the CAP grids) would seem to be more likely to require NHQ approval for a third party to use and sale than something (weight & balance) that was created by 3rd parties and used by CAP.

a2capt

Don't give them ideas. they'll force us back to something so that the Big V can sell it.

lordmonar

Quote from: JeffDG on August 09, 2013, 04:46:49 PM
Yep...was sarcasm.

Looking logically, a system that CAP created (the CAP grids) would seem to be more likely to require NHQ approval for a third party to use and sale than something (weight & balance) that was created by 3rd parties and used by CAP.
Actually CAP did not create the "CAP Grids".....we are just the last ones using it AFAIK.

Technically.....everyone should at least know about it as it is part of the National SAR handbook....which we do not control.
But the Cell System has been out there for many years, does not require FAA sectionals, can be translated to any map with Lat and Longs on them.
Does not require "pre-Gridding".  Does not require a book of cheat sheets to find out where/how to grid your sectional.

Just find your Lat/Long to the nearest Degree and you are good to go.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP