Main Menu

Alaska Wing Men

Started by Smoothice, January 17, 2011, 02:42:04 PM

DG

I was surprised that no one commented on the shoes.

Or the ball cap.

Hey folks, this is an Air Force style uniform.

Also, it is nice duty if you can get it -- receiving flight instruction in a 182.

But I must give credit to the two of them.  Father  - daughter, CFI - student pilot.  My daughter was the best of the best in her flight traiing with CAP.  But when it came to the father - daughter flight training, it was always, "I know Dad."  So she got to be trained up by another (and better) CFI.   So kudos to the AKWG father - daughter who made it work so well.

bosshawk

I haven't checked in several years, but I know that at one time, the GA-8 Airvans all had call signs which started with 99(99XX), since they were all assigned to National.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Quote from: bosshawk on January 19, 2011, 12:57:16 AM
I haven't checked in several years, but I know that at one time, the GA-8 Airvans all had call signs which started with 99(99XX), since they were all assigned to National.

That is, to the best of my knowledge, still true. Also, A/C assigned directly to the regions (if any) woulf have 9XXX call signs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DG

Quote from: SarDragon on January 19, 2011, 01:20:09 AM
Quote from: bosshawk on January 19, 2011, 12:57:16 AM

That is, to the best of my knowledge, still true. Also, A/C assigned directly to the regions (if any) woulf have 9XXX call signs.

Now ours is using the region call sign.  GA-8 N613CP.

For the first several years, it was CPF 9913.

Now it is assigned to NER, and it is CAP 9113.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

baronet68

Quote from: SarDragon on January 18, 2011, 09:00:45 PM
Quote from: a2capt on January 18, 2011, 06:15:12 PM
The leading two digits of the CAP flight numbers are the state number in alphabetical order.
Arkansas 03, California 04, etc. In cases of leading zeros, they are just omitted.

That's mostly correct.

Nat Cap is in there, and Alaska (50), Hawai'i (51), and Puerto Rico (52) fill it out at the end.

They were originally arranged in alpha-numeric order for the first 49 wings (the 48 states of the union during WWII plus National Capital).   Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico were added later.  Old charter numbers used to start with these digits... my Washington Wing squadron as a cadet was 46046.

Wings:

Alabama (1)
Arizona (2)
Arkansas (3)
California (4)
Colorado (5)
Connecticut (6)
Delaware (7)
Florida (8)
Georgia (9)
Idaho (10)
Illinois (11)
Indiana (12)
Iowa (13)
Kansas (14)
Kentucky (15)
Louisiana (16)
Maine (17)
Maryland (18)
Massachusetts (19)
Michigan (20)
Minnesota (21)
Mississippi (22)
Missouri (23)
Montana (24)
National Capital (25)
Nebraska (26)
Nevada (27)
New Hampshire (28)
New Jersey (29)
New Mexico (30)
New York (31)
North Carolina (32)
North Dakota (33)
Ohio (34)
Oklahoma (35)
Oregon (36)
Pennsylvania (37)
Rhode Island (38)
South Carolina (39)
South Dakota (40)
Tennessee (41)
Texas (42)
Utah (43)
Vermont (44)
Virginia (45)
Washington (46)
West Virginia (47)
Wisconsin (48)
Wyoming (49)
Alaska (50)
Hawaii (51)
Puerto Rico (52)

Regions:

Northeast (91)
Middle East  (92)
Great Lakes (93)
Southeast (94)
North Central  (95)
Southwest (96)
Rocky Mountain (97)
Pacific (98)
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

bosshawk

Whew: sure glad that we got that all straightened out.  Now back to our regularly scheduled uniform thread.

Seriously, good info on the call sign numbers.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PhotogPilot

Most likely the producer asked them to swap the wing and majcom patches so the Alaska patch was visible to the camera.

Both this show and Sarah Palin's Alaska were chock full of aeronautical editing boo boos. Cuts between turbine and recip aircraft that should have been the same plane, mirror image shots where the shot was flipped in Avid to maintain continuity of direction and sound editing with piston sound over a turbine aircraft and vice versa. Kind of like the movie "Airplane!". I'm not joking. And don't call me Shirley.

Al Sayre

Quote from: PhotogPilot on January 19, 2011, 04:36:12 PM
Most likely the producer asked them to swap the wing and majcom patches so the Alaska patch was visible to the camera.

Both this show and Sarah Palin's Alaska were chock full of aeronautical editing boo boos. Cuts between turbine and recip aircraft that should have been the same plane, mirror image shots where the shot was flipped in Avid to maintain continuity of direction and sound editing with piston sound over a turbine aircraft and vice versa. Kind of like the movie "Airplane!". I'm not joking. And don't call me Shirley.

That's one reason I haven't watched Sarah Palin's Alaska much.  The first couple of shows I watched had me going "WTH? That Beaver had an R-1820 when they departed and now it's got a PT-6 when it lands???"
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

indygreg

All I know is that as much as I love flying, there's no way I'd want to do some of the stuff that bush pilots have to do.

RiverAux

FYI, the Discovery Channel recently launched a new series called "Flying Wild Alaska" that focuses on the operations of a bush airline up there. 

Mustang

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 19, 2011, 06:02:28 PM

That's one reason I haven't watched Sarah Palin's Alaska much.  The first couple of shows I watched had me going "WTH? That Beaver had an R-1820 when they departed and now it's got a PT-6 when it lands???"

Anything Sarah Palin-related generally requires a fair amount of suspension of disbelief.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

NIN

Quote from: RiverAux on January 21, 2011, 12:23:09 AM
FYI, the Discovery Channel recently launched a new series called "Flying Wild Alaska" that focuses on the operations of a bush airline up there.

And its actually fairly watchable.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Ed Bos

Quote from: researchdoc on January 18, 2011, 02:19:37 AM
From what I can tell, Capt Morthorpe is the Director of Safety of the Alaskan Wing.. or maybe a Asst. Director.  Anyway I am going to try to interview him for my squadron podcast (see signature below).  I contacted the AK Wing to ask for their contact info for the interview and am waiting for a response.  I hope they call back and do the interview... should be good.  At least it has brought attention to CAP. 

Could it be that the call they used was in their personal equipment?  But, they filmed the outside of the CAP Cessna?

I have a copy of the episode I will post here when I get the chance.

Has anyone gotten back to you on this yet?
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Ed Bos

I'm glad to see some folks enjoyed the program.

For all concerned, the uniform discrepancies have been addressed ; D

The networks are interested in more filming with CAP in Alaska, so please be on the lookout for more and better segments.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

researchdoc

Ed,
Thanks for asking.. no I have not gotten a return from my message on this..  I see you are AK-001.. I left a message there at Wing requesting assistance.  As you know Eservices won't allow me to get the contact info on them and it appears their phone number is unlisted.. albeit, I did find the home address.. if they do not wish to do a phone interview, no problem.. but it would be a shame..
Obviously, I don't want to just barge in on their personal life for an interview without them knowing ahead of time.. and thought it would be appropriate to let your Wing brass know what I had planned to do as well. 
I think this is very worthy of as much publicity as possible.  It is a great CAP story.. father/daughter team.. father an instructor for CAP, the daughter a cadet soloing in ALASKA! Where there is bush piloting!  It is a massive success story.. and really shows the analogy I hear a lot of the cadets of the CAP are like the Boy Scouts is way off (with all due respect to the Scouts as they are a great organization!).... Our cadets FLY! And in AK! 
It is a great story...   uniform discrepancies or not.. it is great marketing for CAP.   Not to mention it shows how serious and professional our cadets are.
If there is anything you can do to help me, I sure would appreciate it.. you can send me a PM or email if you wish.
Again, thank you for asking.
Public Affairs Officer NC-022
22nd v2.0 Podcast:  http://burlcapcast.net.tf
NC-022 Website:  http://doubledeuces.org

Major Carrales

Quote from: Mustang on February 02, 2011, 02:11:50 AM
Quote from: Al Sayre on January 19, 2011, 06:02:28 PM

Anything Sarah Palin-related generally requires a fair amount of suspension of disbelief.

C'mon, Mustang, let's keep it clean of politics around here.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454