Main Menu

Pre-solo wings

Started by Grumpy, November 18, 2010, 04:49:39 AM

jeders

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 11, 2012, 11:52:41 PM
I could see a ribbon for completing the O-flight program but wings should be reserved for certificated pilots.

I guess I should turn in my observer wings now.  ::)
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

im_not_a_sir

Why doesn't the FAA recognize pre solo wings as legitimate achievements of flying? :(

ßτε

Quote from: im_not_a_sir on August 22, 2012, 05:05:38 PM
Why doesn't the FAA recognize pre solo wings as legitimate achievements of flying? :(
You do realize that the FAA doesn't recognize any CAP wings, including Command Pilot, right?

Flying Pig

#1 the FAA has nothing to do CAP aviation achievements. #2, Per-Solo wings ......yeah.... hardly a "legitimate achievment of flying".... in my book.  Its a feel good.

Critical AOA

How does being pre-solo demonstrate any achievement of flying, especially a legitimate one?  Everyone who has never soloed is pre-solo.

Pass your FAA written exam and checkride and then the FAA will recognize your achievement and it will be legitimate.  Of course, they won't give you any nice shiny silver wings to pin on your chest, just a piece of plastic to stick in your wallet.  But it will be an actual achievement nonetheless.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

nesagsar

I earned pre-solo at the Johnson Flight Encampment in 2004. I piloted the aircraft (a Schweizer 233-a) from tow hookup to landing with no input and no conversation with the backseater. I did not get solo for two reasons.

1. The CFI was in the aircraft. Not much I could do about that.
2. There was a rule that cadets must wait until their second flight encampment to solo the aircraft, even if they are ready the first time. I always suspected that this was a way to make more money off of activity fees.

Flying Pig

Quote from: nesagsar on August 22, 2012, 06:55:47 PM
I earned pre-solo at the Johnson Flight Encampment in 2004. I piloted the aircraft (a Schweizer 233-a) from tow hookup to landing with no input and no conversation with the backseater. I did not get solo for two reasons.

2. There was a rule that cadets must wait until their second flight encampment to solo the aircraft, even if they are ready the first time. I always suspected that this was a way to make more money off of activity fees.
Thats too bad.....  it really is.  But nothing can replace the added stress of knowing that no matter what happens, its all you and nobody can help you.  Have you solo'd since?  Flying with a rated pilot, regardless of their inputs or not, cannot replace the feeling of being "solo".  Its marketing...a way to get a cadet more bling.  We need a book with wings coming out of it for those who have taken and graduated a ground school too.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 23, 2012, 09:57:16 PM

...  We need a book with wings coming out of it for those who have taken and graduated a ground school too.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Don't even say or write such things, someone will take you serious. 

lol

Though I bet some blingmeisters would think they deserve them.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Al Sayre

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 23, 2012, 10:29:55 PM

...  We need a book with wings coming out of it for those who have taken and graduated a ground school too.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Don't even say or write such things, someone will take you serious. 

lol

Though I bet some blingmeisters would think they deserve them.

+1!  I still remember taxi-ing back after my 3rd landing and realizing "Holy $%&#! I could have killed myself!"  Then realizing I hadn't and all was good... 8)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

nesagsar

Quote from: nesagsar on August 22, 2012, 06:55:47 PM

Thats too bad.....  it really is.  But nothing can replace the added stress of knowing that no matter what happens, its all you and nobody can help you.  Have you solo'd since?  Flying with a rated pilot, regardless of their inputs or not, cannot replace the feeling of being "solo".  Its marketing...a way to get a cadet more bling.  We need a book with wings coming out of it for those who have taken and graduated a ground school too.

I never did solo. The activity cost well over $1000 to attend and I had school to worry about as well. There was no way I could attend a second time.