THE NEVADA TRIANGLE Mystery of remote US zone near Area 51 where more than 2,000

Started by OldGuy, November 30, 2018, 02:16:34 PM

Live2Learn

Well, we know what happened to Elvis, so I guess he wasn't among the missing.  And we know what happened to Steve Fosset because some hikers found his wallet three years later.  And we know that filing (then flying) a flight plan is a good way to be found (Steve F. proved that since he DIDN'T tell anyone where he was going).  And we know that rough, unroaded, forested & desert terrain that is largely unroaded and unpopulated (by people) makes it tough to find missing aircraft that don't have flight plans or fly IFR or have 406 ELTs... so is this more validation of what we know?  :o

MSG Mac

Former  National Vice Commander Ed Lewis and CAWG Commander DeCamp are among those lost in those mountains.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 30, 2018, 06:12:59 PM
Former  National Vice Commander Ed Lewis and CAWG Commander DeCamp are among those lost in those mountains.

Col DeCamp was the Nevada Wing Commander.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on November 30, 2018, 08:07:42 PM

And they didn't just vanish. The wreck was very visible, and less than five miles from where Carole Lombard's plane hit the same mountain.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on November 30, 2018, 09:51:37 PM

And they didn't just vanish. The wreck was very visible, and less than five miles from where Carole Lombard's plane hit the same mountain.

IIRC they were found within hours. The ELT did it's job.

Lord of the North

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on November 30, 2018, 10:58:31 PM

IIRC they were found within hours. The ELT did it's job.
Their aircraft was observed as it hit the mountain.   SAR was on scene withing an hour.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Live2Learn

I don't recall any mention in the NTSB report of the aircraft ELT playing any role in locating the wreckage or in determining that a crash had occurred.  The NTSB report states that "A local law enforcement officer/pilot, who was assigned to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department's Air Support/Search and Rescue Unit, reported that on the evening of the accident, while flying a helicopter patrol mission and heading in a south-southwest direction, he observed a large fireball/explosion in the vicinity of Mount Potosi, elevation 8,514 feet msl. The officer stated that his partner also observed and confirmed that it was an explosion. The officer reported that while en route to the area of the fire he observed additional fireballs, and upon arriving at the accident site his partner confirmed that the fire was the result of an airplane crash."

Still good advice today, the NTSB report quotes from avionics documentation:  "The Pilot's Guide for the G1000 states: "CAUTION: Use of Terrain Proximity information for primary terrain avoidance is prohibited. The Terrain Proximity Map is intended only to enhance situational awareness. It is the pilot's responsibility to provide terrain avoidance at all times."   The report also reminds us that "The flight was departing on a VFR flight plan and was receiving VFR flight following services ..."  We should all remember that VFR FF is contoller workload limited, and that ATC has NO responsibility to provide terrian avoidance.

Because of the justifiably high esteem we have for these two former leaders I've noticed great reluctance (in my wing, at least) to hold a frank and candid conversation about their final flight.  IMHO, this leads us to ignore their last gift... the lessons we should draw from their passing.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Live2Learn on December 02, 2018, 06:23:01 PM

I don't recall any mention in the NTSB report of the aircraft ELT playing any role in locating the wreckage or in determining that a crash had occurred.  The NTSB report states that "A local law enforcement officer/pilot, who was assigned to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department's Air Support/Search and Rescue Unit, reported that on the evening of the accident, while flying a helicopter patrol mission and heading in a south-southwest direction, he observed a large fireball/explosion in the vicinity of Mount Potosi, elevation 8,514 feet msl. The officer stated that his partner also observed and confirmed that it was an explosion. The officer reported that while en route to the area of the fire he observed additional fireballs, and upon arriving at the accident site his partner confirmed that the fire was the result of an airplane crash."

Still good advice today, the NTSB report quotes from avionics documentation:  "The Pilot's Guide for the G1000 states: "CAUTION: Use of Terrain Proximity information for primary terrain avoidance is prohibited. The Terrain Proximity Map is intended only to enhance situational awareness. It is the pilot's responsibility to provide terrain avoidance at all times."   The report also reminds us that "The flight was departing on a VFR flight plan and was receiving VFR flight following services ..."  We should all remember that VFR FF is contoller workload limited, and that ATC has NO responsibility to provide terrian avoidance.

Because of the justifiably high esteem we have for these two former leaders I've noticed great reluctance (in my wing, at least) to hold a frank and candid conversation about their final flight.  IMHO, this leads us to ignore their last gift... the lessons we should draw from their passing.

I did not know Colonel De Camp, but I knew Colonel Lewis. If there was a chance that anyone could learn anything from his fatal experience, Ed Lewis would be the first to say "Sign up, sit down, listen, pay attention and take notes!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.