Surprised there's no Public Affairs Board

Started by patrick.m, September 23, 2012, 06:32:27 PM

patrick.m

Just registered with CAP Talk and while searching noticed there wasn't a Public Affairs Board, although I found one thread of interest.  Would like to start a board to begin sharing with other PAO/PIO types out there (also would like to get the default "Lurker" off my profile!)

With rapid changes in web design and the availability of low cost web hosting solutions, I would expect a buzz among folks pursuing this track.

Thanks.

http://www.dc045.natcapwing.org/
2d Lt Mark Patrick
Mount Vernon Composite Squadron
National Capital Wing

patrick.m

...oh, now upgraded from "Lurker" to "Newbie" with my first post.  A promotion!   :)
2d Lt Mark Patrick
National Capital Wing

whatevah

We have a policy of only creating new boards if there is enough activity to support it.  As a former wing PAO though, I'd love to see some more internal and external affairs stuff on here, maybe even to have a 2nd level board to share news releases.

Moving this thread to the forum support board (you'll lose your post count, sorry), feel free to bump this thread in the future if you notice that there is at least one good PAO type thread a week.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

a2capt

Well, there's been the need for the gallery function to return more than once a week ;-)

.... I know, there's nothing really wrong with the imgur*shack things. But inbuilt function is nice, too.

Extremepredjudice

Use imgur or puush. Way better than imageshack
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 24, 2012, 04:45:26 AM

Seriously, "way better?" Who cares, it's a free places to drop throw-away images for web posting.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on September 24, 2012, 04:46:57 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 24, 2012, 04:45:26 AM

Seriously, "way better?" Who cares, it's a free places to drop throw-away images for web posting.
neither removes images because of "excessive" bandwidth usage. Which was the initial reason Imgur was created.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

There's already a public affairs officer e-mail discussion thread, so that may be a reason there hasn't been a board placed here. Message me and I'll dig up the contact info for that e-mail listserv.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

patrick.m

@BuckeyeDEJ - Will message you later... blocked at work.  Thanks.
2d Lt Mark Patrick
National Capital Wing

stillamarine

Eh. I never got into the email group and it's not very active, although I get spammed from time to time. Also as far as I'm aware you can't go back and look at old stuff like you could if there was a board here.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

patrick.m

so what I'm hearing is that a board here would be better?
2d Lt Mark Patrick
National Capital Wing

BuckeyeDEJ

I don't think I'd be in favor of it. While I like the idea of having previous advice and guidance available, it's easier and better to seek advice or guidance from a PA mentor or from a PA at higher headquarters. Not every region, wing or group works quite the same way when it comes to information needs and information handling.

We have the How-To Guide that answers many questions, as well. If you have any suggestions for that book, please fire them through channels to the national public affairs officer! It's being updated now.

I don't mean to discourage — in fact, we need more people savvy where public affairs is concerned (especially if we can bring in people with a media or PR background, all the better!) — but I'm not sure it would help much on CAPTalk.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

a2capt

A very similar argument could be made for the ES topics, CP, etc. That things are done differently in various echelons, so ... ;-)

RiverAux

I don't think there is enough PA-related topics to justify a board.  However, when someone proposed that we needed a history board they also went back through CAPTalk and found something like 50-100 threads relating to CAP history and copied their links into the proposal showing that there was a lot of interest.