Main Menu

Safety Currency is DEAD!

Started by lordmonar, June 28, 2015, 01:31:03 AM

lordmonar

Just got an E-mail warning that a new ICL is immanent.   It removes all references to safety currency and removes the bar from participation if you have not had safety education in the last 30 days.

We still have to do safety education every month....which is a good thing.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on June 28, 2015, 01:31:03 AM
Just got an E-mail warning that a new ICL is immanent.   It removes all references to safety currency and removes the bar from participation if you have not had safety education in the last 30 days.

We still have to do safety education every month....which is a good thing.

You see to be a little heart broken by that :)

lordmonar

I don't know where you could have gotten that idea?   :)

PHall

I'll believe it when I see it... :o

lordmonar

Fubar

Wow, this is definitely surprising.

RiverAux

Mixed feelings.  On the one hand, they just got rid of the only real tool they had to make sure that everyone does participate in the program, but on the other hand I'm not sure that the monthly safety briefing concept has any proven benefit in the first place. 

Eaker Guy

Quote from: RiverAux on June 28, 2015, 01:10:20 PM
Mixed feelings.  On the one hand, they just got rid of the only real tool they had to make sure that everyone does participate in the program, but on the other hand I'm not sure that the monthly safety briefing concept has any proven benefit in the first place.

+1

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on June 28, 2015, 01:10:20 PM

Well, you could just compare the accident rate now with the rate we had before we had the mandatory monthly safety briefings.
From the data I've seen, there isn't much of a difference.  YMMV.

RiverAux

Well, that possibly could work, but the thing is that change may not be easily detectable since most active CAP members were probably participating in monthly briefings before it became a dealbreaker to other activities, so the group whose behavior was really changed was the low-participation member (sort of like me at the moment) who was really forced to take briefings they otherwise wouldn't have taken.  And the question would be how often those folks were doing CAP stuff so as to potentially be involved with an accident anyway. 

And quite frankly, it was easily possible to stay safety current by only doing the online briefings that only had a marginal relationship to CAP activities (and therefore accident rates). 

I sort of doubt the older safety data is all that good anyway.  I think we probably have improved the safety reporting system in recent years.  What could be done in a few years is to see whether those that have maintained monthly safety currency have lower accident rates than those who haven't done it every month.  If there is no difference then that would strike a blow against the monthly briefings (or justify them).

Storm Chaser

I have mixed feelings about the change. On the one hand, I think it's good that members are not being prevented from participating in a meeting, activity or mission because they just when non-current. On the other hand, how do you make participation in a program mandatory without making any provisions for those not complying with the program? This change may be a step in the right direction, but the implementation still needs some work. I guess we'll have to see how it develops moving forward.

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 04, 2015, 04:10:57 AM
I have mixed feelings about the change. On the one hand, I think it's good that members are not being prevented from participating in a meeting, activity or mission because they just when non-current. On the other hand, how do you make participation in a program mandatory without making any provisions for those not complying with the program? This change may be a step in the right direction, but the implementation still needs some work. I guess we'll have to see how it develops moving forward.
The point is.....do the monthly training at the squadron.   Then do the safety brief at the start of every activity.   Press on.
If Member X always seems to miss the safety briefing.....or is a little late...hand him the print outs of the safety brief, have him sign at the bottom and them get on with the mission.

The whole problem with "safety currency" as implemented is that it is too hard to move on and get the mission done.

Sending someone home because he missed the safety briefing last month and did not do one of the online briefings says that "safety bureaucracy" is more important than the mission or the people showing up to do the mission.

Add to that the way CAP implemented it...i.e. per-mission/activity briefs don't count, but taking hurricane safety while operating in Nevada does...illustrates the point that bureaucracy was more important then getting real, actionable, relevant safety education.

This is a step in the right direction.

Do your monthly safety education, do your safety briefings, do your mission.

Ohioguard

Is the safety training still on line?  I am not near my home unit and had been doing the training on line, can't find it now.  Any help?

JCW

lordmonar

Quote from: Ohioguard on August 01, 2015, 11:44:38 PM
Is the safety training still on line?  I am not near my home unit and had been doing the training on line, can't find it now.  Any help?

JCW
It is not required anymore.

The unit is still required to do monthly safety education....but there is no longer a need for you to have attended it to be able to participate in CAP activities.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on August 01, 2015, 11:59:39 PM

JCW
It is not required anymore.

The unit is still required to do monthly safety education....but there is no longer a need for you to have attended it to be able to participate in CAP activities.

That's not entirely correct. The way the ICL is worded, members are still required to complete monthly safety education, but are not prevented from participating in CAP activities if they didn't do it.

Storm Chaser

JCW

It's still there.

Ohioguard

SarDragon

Quote from: Ohioguard on August 03, 2015, 12:16:14 AM
Where, I can't find it.

JCW

Click Safety.

Click Safety Management System (SMS)

Click Online Safety Education (second row, left button)

Select your course.

Edited to add missing step.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

rsuncloud

Your squadron commanders are still tasked with knowing if you are Safety Current.  The real benefit as I see it is;
During an Emergency we (CAP) need responders and the fact that someone forgot to enter your CAP ID into the computer base should not bar you from participating.

On the other hand.... Listening to Grand Pa drone on and on about how tough his life was or having an LtC read an article might not be the most effective presentation if your Safety Officer's goal is to engage his/her audience
My Goal is to find, develop and distribute world class training that not only meets the letter of the law, but teaches fundamental principles which allow employees to make safer, more economical decisions