CAP REGULATION 52-10 CADET PROTECTION POLICY

Started by negraru96, July 10, 2015, 10:51:33 PM

Ned

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 14, 2015, 09:14:12 PM
LtCol Lee you are the SME on this that's for sure.  Let me ask you this say this cadet touched another to correct improper drill.  The touched cadet feels uncomfortable with it and says something to the CC about it. 

While per your guidance on CPPT its not a violation but now the CC has an uneasy issue on his/her hands.

Based on your experience how should the CC handle this?  (For the sake of the scene its a brand new CC)

If I were the CC faced with the hypothetical, the first thing I would do would be to take a few moments and speak with affected cadet to get a sense of what is going on.  In many cases, the cadet will just be reporting the touching because the cadet misunderstood the Wingman course and believed that he/she was always supposed to report any touching.  If that's the case, a quick review of the rules should be sufficient and the problem is solved.

I would also take the opportunity to suggest that in some, but not all, circumstances like this it is most appropriate for the cadets involved to have a brief discussion.  "Hey, Sgt / Chief / Ma'am, I would prefer that you not touch me during routine drill instruction."  "OK, no worries airman.  Now about those flanking movements . . . ."

Of course the affected cadet may not be comfortable with that procedure, and I would never want to discourage a cadet from coming to me or suggest that this isn't worthy of my time.  (Because it is indeed worthy of my time.)

Depending on the circumstances, I might want to have a word with the cadet CoC.  "Staff, one or more of the cadets have expressed some discomfort with your teaching styles.  I would like you to reflect on this evening's instruction and avoid any touching of the troops that might make the average cadet uncomfortable.  And of course, if any cadet has asked you not to touch them, please be respectful of their wishes in this regard."

Or simply "Hey, Jones has asked that you don't touch him during drill instruction.  Please be respectful of his wishes."

Again, it is my position that words or actions that inadvertently make a cadet uncomfortable because of hidden or unusual feelings is not abuse nor a boundary concern.  I've previously used the example of a senior at encampment encouraging a flight during PT by saying something like "My grandmother can do better pushups than you" without knowing that Cadet Jones' beloved Grandma died the week before encampment and Jones then bursts into tears because of what the senior said.

(It is, of course, a different story of a leader knows of a cadet's unusual feelings or sensibilities and deliberately uses actions or words that the leader knows will cause the cadet distress.)

Mitchell 1969

LtCol Lee you are the SME on this that's for sure.

I think "LtCol Lee" is no longer the SME.

(Reference - signature block, reply #13)

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

MSG Mac

Quote from: negraru96 on July 10, 2015, 11:06:49 PM
Quote from: PHall on July 10, 2015, 11:05:43 PM
Have you completed CPPT? Are you a Cadet or a Senior? It does make a difference.

Thank you for replying, I am a cadet of 17 years of age. I have not completed the CPPT course.

Please do at your earliest opportunity
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 15, 2015, 07:06:16 AM

"LtCol Lee" will always be the SME, based on previous duty assignments and experience. Just because he no longer has the title, it doesn't mean that his vast knowledge has gone away.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on July 15, 2015, 07:44:04 PM

"LtCol Lee" will always be the SME, based on previous duty assignments and experience. Just because he no longer has the title, it doesn't mean that his vast knowledge has gone away.

He's the current Director of Cadet Programs at National. So how is COL Lee not the SME?

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2015, 07:53:06 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 15, 2015, 07:44:04 PM

He's the current Director of Cadet Programs at National. So how is COL Lee not the SME?

In my experience, the SMEs are indians, not chiefs. Ned is now the chief.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ZigZag911

More to the point, isn't Ned a CAP Colonel now?

abdsp51

I would say that Col Lee(apologies for the wrong grade used earlier) who had a hand in drafting the new CPPT and given his position as the National DCP is a SME on this topic.

Mitchell 1969

Yes, indeed, my point was that he is no longer LtCol Lee.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.