Saluting State Defense Force Officers

Started by CorsairPilot, April 30, 2022, 05:10:49 PM

CorsairPilot

As cadets, do we salute state defense force officers? Not National Guard, but state defense forces that report to the governor.

jeders

I'm gonna answer your questions with a question, what does CAP Pamphlet 151 say about saluting?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

baronet68

Quote from: CorsairPilot on April 30, 2022, 05:10:49 PMAs cadets, do we salute state defense force officers? Not National Guard, but state defense forces that report to the governor.

The guidance I've always followed:

"When in doubt... whip it out!"
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Blanding

Quote from: baronet68 on May 01, 2022, 04:16:05 AM"When in doubt... whip it out!"

"When in doubt, salute" is what the pamphlet says, and is a far more appropriate thing to tell members of a youth program.

CorsairPilot

Quote from: jeders on April 30, 2022, 07:06:11 PMI'm gonna answer your questions with a question, what does CAP Pamphlet 151 say about saluting?

The only manual I had known that covered saluting was 60-33. I will check CAPP 151.

Shuman 14

I'm not sure what the manual says, but if a SDF, Police Officer, Fire Fighter, etc. walks past me wearing a higher rank (i.e. Eagles or Stars), I come to attention, present a hand salute and offer the greeting of the day (i.e. Good Morning Ma'am, Good Afternoon Sir, etc.).

I call it professional courtesy.

Conversely, anyone who salutes me, gets a proper salute in return. Again, professional courtesy.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

jeders

Quote from: CorsairPilot on May 01, 2022, 05:32:10 PM
Quote from: jeders on April 30, 2022, 07:06:11 PMI'm gonna answer your questions with a question, what does CAP Pamphlet 151 say about saluting?

The only manual I had known that covered saluting was 60-33. I will check CAPP 151.

Glad I could help.

As an aside, CAPP 60-33 (which IMHO should be avoided whenever possible in favor of the source document, AFMAN 36-2203) tells you how to do things, not when or why. CAPP 151, in addition to a number of other topics, tells you when it is appropriate to salute off the drill pad (i.e. the other 90% of your CAP time).

Because we've had this discussion MULTIPLE times in my squadron recently, I will go ahead and highlight this important section of 151.

Quote from: CAPP 151, page 6When in doubt, salute. Anyone may render a salute at any time if they believe one is warranted.

In other words, it is never wrong to show courtesy and respect to another person.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

PHall

Quote from: jeders on May 02, 2022, 10:10:08 PM
Quote from: CorsairPilot on May 01, 2022, 05:32:10 PM

Glad I could help.

As an aside, CAPP 60-33 (which IMHO should be avoided whenever possible in favor of the source document, AFMAN 36-2203) tells you how to do things, not when or why. CAPP 151, in addition to a number of other topics, tells you when it is appropriate to salute off the drill pad (i.e. the other 90% of your CAP time).

Because we've had this discussion MULTIPLE times in my squadron recently, I will go ahead and highlight this important section of 151.

Quote from: CAPP 151, page 6When in doubt, salute. Anyone may render a salute at any time if they believe one is warranted.

In other words, it is never wrong to show courtesy and respect to another person.

But don't get upset if they don't return your salute. Especially if they weren't expecting a salute.
Yes they should return your salute, but there are more important things going on in the world to worry about if they don't.

flyboy53

You're kidding, right?

Remember that the State Defense Forces are authorized by federal law -- 32 USC, Section 109. That means that even though they are under the full control of a governor, there is federal recognition of that program.

Commissioned state guard officers are more than likely college graduates whose commissions were either previously federally recognized or they are graduates of the same OTS that a state's National Guard officers attended.

Also remember one other significant difference to CAP, SDFs are paid for their active service and in some instances they even qualify for that federal Armed Forces Reserve Medal.

That said, I concur with everyone else, when in doubt you better salute. It's a matter of respect.

Imouttahere

That law authorizes states to maintain a defense force but that acknowledgement doesn't make them federal. That's a bit dramatic of an implication. A salute is a custom and a courtesy so I'll mirror what everyone else said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slim

As the others have said, when in doubt, salute.

Haven't really run across an SDF officer of a higher rank to salute, but I've been saluted by SDF members (to include one of their battalion sergeant majors).  I've also been saluted by military members both active duty and guard.

If someone takes the time to render a courtesy to me, whether I'm entitled to it or not, it behooves me to repay that courtesy.  I'm sure that SDF officer would most likely do the same.

Slim

Pace

Lt Col, CAP