Main Menu

Eservices username?

Started by N6RVT, February 05, 2022, 09:35:31 PM

N6RVT

I just noticed I have one when I looked up my "general info".  A new data field to the right of my member number I never noticed before.

I don't use it for anything, are they implementing something new? 

NIN

It could very well be for non- member access.  Like HQ folks who aren't members.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

I have data in that field, and it is usable for logging in vice the CAPID.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Holding Pattern

It's been there since 2013 at least, and yes, you can use that in place of your CAPID to log in.

NIN

Huh. I suppose I have seen it there before and just sort of never paid close attention to it.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

N6RVT

Quote from: NIN on February 06, 2022, 05:16:42 PMHuh. I suppose I have seen it there before and just sort of never paid close attention to it.

I can't remember seeing it before.  Only reason for having that would be to setup a national level email standard, even if it was just a forward.  I doubt anyone is going to use my CAP ID for identity theft purposes.

SarDragon

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on February 06, 2022, 07:13:54 PM
Quote from: NIN on February 06, 2022, 05:16:42 PMHuh. I suppose I have seen it there before and just sort of never paid close attention to it.

I can't remember seeing it before.  Only reason for having that would be to setup a national level email standard, even if it was just a forward.  I doubt anyone is going to use my CAP ID for identity theft purposes.

Only reason? Really. Colonel Ninness provided the most logical reason - non-member access at NHQ. None of the paid employees are members, but still have access for data entry and download.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

N6RVT

Quote from: SarDragon on February 06, 2022, 11:34:49 PMOnly reason? Really. Colonel Ninness provided the most logical reason - non-member access at NHQ. None of the paid employees are members, but still have access for data entry and download.

They could easily be assigned a six digit number without being made a member.  There is no reason to create an entire new data field for about a dozen people.  And then give a username to 50,000 more people who don't need it.

Which is also in no way suggesting that it isn't what they did anyway