VFW Awards - Helpful Info

Started by xray328, March 24, 2017, 02:46:06 PM

xray328

We recently submitted a request for the VFW Cadet Officer and NCO of the Year awards.  I just wanted to share some helpful information.

The award needs to be submitted on a CAPF 120, one copy is sent to the VFW National HQ, the other is sent up the chain to Group and Wing.

VFW National HQ:

VFW Programs
Veterans of Foreign Wars National Headquarters
406 West 34th Street
Kansas City, MO 64111

We sent in the request mid February. I followed up this morning and it was received, then faxed to the IL VFW HQ on 3/7.  IL VFW HQ sent the award packet to our Squadron CC on 3/21.

After talking to the IL representative she told me that we were the only ones in our Wing that submitted a request this year.  I just thought I'd share all this in case a lack of "how to" was causing a lack of participation in the program.

The number for IL VFW HQ is 217-529-6688, both National and State HQ's reps were very friendly and helpful. When I called I told them I was following up on the VFW Civil Air Patrol awards and was transferred to the correct person both times (not a painful process at all).

More info here:

https://www.vfw.org/-/media/vfwsite/files/my_vfw/training-and-support/community-service/youth-activities-chairmans-manual.pdf

If anyone needs an example of a justification for the Form 120 I'm happy to share ours for your reference.

Eclipse

Quote from: xray328 on March 24, 2017, 02:46:06 PM
The award needs to be submitted on a CAPF 120, one copy is sent to the VFW National HQ, the other is sent up the chain to Group and Wing.

If this just for their info?

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

That's my understanding.  The 39-3 doesn't say why, it just says to send a copy of the Form 120 to Group and Wing but it doesn't say "for their approval".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xray328

You still have time by the way, they just have to be received by 15 April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ Light Chop

I sent in a request to the VFW for an award for one of the cadets.  They sent me a sea scouts medal.  I sent emails trying to get it fixed and they went unanswered.  I ended up having to buy the medal and certificate from the VFW store myself so I'd have something to present. 

xray328

The National VFW HQ phone number is (816) 968-1117, again they were very helpful.  It sounds like they just give the state VFW HQ the ok for the award to be sent though, so the state HQ is the one you'd need to contact.  I hate sending emails, who knows the last time those were updated.

Jester

Quote from: xray328 on March 24, 2017, 02:46:06 PM

After talking to the IL representative she told me that we were the only ones in our Wing that submitted a request this year.  I just thought I'd share all this in case a lack of "how to" was causing a lack of participation in the program.

Not entirely true. I followed whatever was in 39-3 on 12 Jan and got a response from a state rep that I didn't know existed on 27 Jan. They just provided medals and I had to pay out of pocket for certificates ($9 each and the NCO one has a typo).

The award has many benefits but the process has issues.

xray328

Might be an individual state issue then, like all things some are better than others.   I do find it odd that you have to pay for the certificate but they send the medal.  Why aren't they just allowing them to be printed off of a download? $7.50 (plus $4 shipping) seems a bit excessive as well.

Kind of odd timing too as most awards are presented at the years end Christmas party or whatever.  You can't submit for these until 1 Dec.  They say that a VFW rep should also present the award which would be better suited for the yearly awards presentations versus a weekly meeting.

kwe1009

Contact your local VFW post is probably the quickest and easiest way to get this done.  From my experience they will also purchase the awards and certificates.