Squadron Culture Change

Started by XxJake114xX, August 08, 2016, 11:03:01 AM

XxJake114xX

I've been reading everything about culture change in the leadership books, but how can you physically initiate a culture change?

Should we create a week-by-week step-by-step guide that focuses on one aspect that needs to be changed, only tackle that topic in one meeting, and then when next week's meeting comes talk about something completely different?

What is the most effective way for us to go about initiating this?

NIN

Culture change comes thru changing attitudes, not changing procedure.

Saying "I want to change the culture in the squadron" is like saying "I need to change the atmosphere."

OK, what *aspect* of the atmosphere?  Do you want to change the cadet culture, the training culture, the uniform culture (or get away from a toxic uniform culture.. *cough*), the respect culture?

You can't just hang up a banner

And expect change to happen.

Cultural change in a unit takes time. It takes enlightened leadership, buy-in from the top (if your commander isn't interested in that particular culture change, your'e cooked), buy-in from the participants, etc.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

Quote from: NIN on August 08, 2016, 01:08:16 PM
Culture change comes thru changing attitudes, not changing procedure.

Saying "I want to change the culture in the squadron" is like saying "I need to change the atmosphere."

OK, what *aspect* of the atmosphere?  Do you want to change the cadet culture, the training culture, the uniform culture (or get away from a toxic uniform culture.. *cough*), the respect culture?

You can't just hang up a banner

And expect change to happen.

Cultural change in a unit takes time. It takes enlightened leadership, buy-in from the top (if your commander isn't interested in that particular culture change, your'e cooked), buy-in from the participants, etc.

I used to invite other commanders to my meetings. If we did something and I got the "WTH" look, it was something that we as a unit took a look at possibly changing. Getting an outside view might help. Taking a look at how other units operate would also help. Like NIN said, though, target something, identify the issue, and get buy in.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

XxJake114xX

Okay I follow you. Right now the Cadet staff has a list of items that we plan on changing, so I will start by working with my flight staff to make sure everyone is on the same page and is onboard with the changes.

Thank you both for helping me out! If I have any other questions I'll know where to go. ;D

NIN

Quote from: XxJake114xX on August 08, 2016, 09:57:59 PM
Okay I follow you. Right now the Cadet staff has a list of items that we plan on changing, so I will start by working with my flight staff to make sure everyone is on the same page and is onboard with the changes.

Thank you both for helping me out! If I have any other questions I'll know where to go. ;D

Just remember, Civil Air Patrol is far, far more resistant to revolutionary change than evolutionary change.

"OK, guys, we're going to have our big culture change meeting..."

No, thats not going work. At all.

When I've affected culture change (as a commander), the first words out of my mouth are "Nothing is going to change."

:)

Not that I'm lying, but then I spend the next 12-18 months fixing this one thing, then that little thing over there, and then changing the way we execute this, and schedule that, and organize this other bit...

12-18 months later, nobody realizes: The commander just changed *everything* while we weren't even looking.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

XxJake114xX

Quote from: NIN on August 09, 2016, 02:02:52 AM
Just remember, Civil Air Patrol is far, far more resistant to revolutionary change than evolutionary change.

"OK, guys, we're going to have our big culture change meeting..."

No, thats not going work. At all.

When I've affected culture change (as a commander), the first words out of my mouth are "Nothing is going to change."

:)

Not that I'm lying, but then I spend the next 12-18 months fixing this one thing, then that little thing over there, and then changing the way we execute this, and schedule that, and organize this other bit...

12-18 months later, nobody realizes: The commander just changed *everything* while we weren't even looking.

So the culture change has to be executed only by a single cadet, or by both the CC/CDC? Why wouldn't anything work if we involved all line staff and all cadet executive staff?

NIN

Quote from: XxJake114xX on August 09, 2016, 02:34:31 AM
So the culture change has to be executed only by a single cadet, or by both the CC/CDC? Why wouldn't anything work if we involved all line staff and all cadet executive staff?

By all means, get the leadership on the same page.

But avoid "OK, we're making a culture change, and you're gonna LOVE it!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

XxJake114xX

Quote from: NIN on August 09, 2016, 02:36:59 AM

Ahh like don't sell it to them, but instead just inform them and execute with no "phluff".

NIN

Well, you make changes.

"Hey, look at this.. we can be doing that better.."

Or "How about we line up facing this way instead of this way, because now the sun isn't in our eyes.."

Years ago, became a squadron commander (the .. let me think.. third time?) and we all went into the senior staff room after the flag passing and I said "OK, stuff is gonna change.." thinking "Everybody will be all on board with what I'm doing, because, you know I'M THE COMMANDER!"

the clanging sound I heard was the earflaps on my senior staff slamming shut because all they heard was "You're not doing it right, and I'm here to show you how goofed up you are" when in reality, it was nothing of the sort. These were well-oiled senior staff. They knew their jobs, they were doing it just fine.  Could they use some tune-up? Sure.  But they didn't need the new boss saying "All this is gonna change!"

Tactical mistake #1.   (didn't make that mistake after changes of command  #4 or #5)

You get your people to see your way of thinking, your point of view, one member at a time.  "You mail things to NHQ, Personnel Officer? You don't send them electronically? Hmmm, lets talk for a minute about that."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

abdsp51

Quote from: XxJake114xX on August 09, 2016, 02:41:25 AM

Ahh like don't sell it to them, but instead just inform them and execute with no "phluff".

Ah no.  You need to sell them on it and is this change for the better or change for the sake of change?

XxJake114xX

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 09, 2016, 02:52:46 AM
Quote from: XxJake114xX on August 09, 2016, 02:41:25 AM

Ah no.  You need to sell them on it and is this change for the better or change for the sake of change?

This is for the better. We just recently had an increase of new cadets, and we want to make sure that they get the best experience they can. With the current culture of the squadron, there has been minimal to no improvement as they are progressing in the program.

The current flight staff we have were taught in this environment, so they teach that same mentality to their incoming cadets, and it leads to many more hiccups in the road when it comes time to execute a mission.

XxJake114xX

Quote from: NIN on August 09, 2016, 02:47:57 AM
Well, you make changes.

"Hey, look at this.. we can be doing that better.."

Or "How about we line up facing this way instead of this way, because now the sun isn't in our eyes.."

Years ago, became a squadron commander (the .. let me think.. third time?) and we all went into the senior staff room after the flag passing and I said "OK, stuff is gonna change.." thinking "Everybody will be all on board with what I'm doing, because, you know I'M THE COMMANDER!"

the clanging sound I heard was the earflaps on my senior staff slamming shut because all they heard was "You're not doing it right, and I'm here to show you how goofed up you are" when in reality, it was nothing of the sort. These were well-oiled senior staff. They knew their jobs, they were doing it just fine.  Could they use some tune-up? Sure.  But they didn't need the new boss saying "All this is gonna change!"

Tactical mistake #1.   (didn't make that mistake after changes of command  #4 or #5)

You get your people to see your way of thinking, your point of view, one member at a time.  "You mail things to NHQ, Personnel Officer? You don't send them electronically? Hmmm, lets talk for a minute about that."

Okay, that makes sense. Slowly but surely we are going to get where we want to be. Should we involve our senior staff with a cadet culture change? What can they help out with as we tackle this?

NIN

Quote from: XxJake114xX on August 09, 2016, 03:16:19 AM
Okay, that makes sense. Slowly but surely we are going to get where we want to be. Should we involve our senior staff with a cadet culture change? What can they help out with as we tackle this?

At the very least, your DCC better be rogered up on any proposed "culture changes" before hand.  Otherwise, you'll be in for a nasty surprise when the deputy for cadets or the commander go "Nice, but no."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

XxJake114xX

Quote from: NIN on August 09, 2016, 03:26:46 AM
At the very least, your DCC better be rogered up on any proposed "culture changes" before hand.  Otherwise, you'll be in for a nasty surprise when the deputy for cadets or the commander go "Nice, but no."

Okay, sounds like a plan! Thank you for clearing up what I didn't understand when reading the Learn to Lead books, I really appreciate that! :D