Squadron difficulties

Started by xSTxMozarTx, January 27, 2012, 04:39:05 AM

xSTxMozarTx

I'm currently my squadrons 1st Sgt and the next Cadet Commander very soon. My squadron has about 29 people (cadets and Senior members) in it and only about 19 are cadets. We've had  6 dropouts bringing our total number of cadets down to 13. Six of those 13 are current staff and the rest are inflights. Only about 4 of the inflights show up on a normal basis. What can I do to get more cadets recruited or to get more of the inflights to show up? That and we have about 3 of the SM who don't show up that often. Any recruiting ideas? Thank you! -C/CMSgt "Mozart"
C/CMSgt 1st Sgt
"The only easy day, was yesterday!"

xSTxMozarTx

It has also come to my attention that we are having communication difficulties as well. Such as not knowing when encampments or special activities are to alert cadets of them. By the time we find out about these the deadlines for applications and such are over and our cadets are unable to attend. I don't know if it reaches the squadron at all or even if anyone bothers telling us. We usually find out these things by talking to cadets from other squadrons. Any ideas or suggestions to solve this problem?? 
C/CMSgt 1st Sgt

Spaceman3750

http://nywg.cap.gov
http://encampment.nywgcadets.org/
http://www.ncsas.com

Your squadron needs to organize a phone tree. Weekly contact will help with retention.

You also need to be careful about how you phrase things. Saying something like "... or even bothers telling us" can be interpreted as disrespectful.

SM attendance is not your problem. Though, your commander is misinformed about what constitutes a senior member (http://www.metrowny.com/policelog/414-Southtowns_Cadet_Squadron_hosting_upcoming_open_house.html).

a2capt

Our flight commanders call each cadet on Sunday, and report their status, attending, not, left message (and will call back). 

Some cadets have credited that very thing, that they come back each week because it appears that someone is concerned.

Sapper168

Quote from: xSTxMozarTx on January 27, 2012, 04:39:05 AM
..... Six of those 13 are current staff and the rest are inflights. ......

Half of your cadets are cadet staff????  With 13 cadets what cadet staff do you really need other than a C/commander and a C/1st Sgt?
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

arajca

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on January 27, 2012, 09:41:55 AM
Quote from: xSTxMozarTx on January 27, 2012, 04:39:05 AM
..... Six of those 13 are current staff and the rest are inflights. ......

Half of your cadets are cadet staff????  With 13 cadets what cadet staff do you really need other than a C/commander and a C/1st Sgt?
One flight. Why do you need a C/1st Sgt? For that matter, unless you have a phase IV cadet, why a cadet commander? Flight Commander and Flight Sergeant.

xSTxMozarTx

We do have a phone tree so we know cadets are coming. But, then the half of them never show up when they say they will. Also I didn't mean for ".. or even bothers telling us" to be disrespectful. But our squadron is alerted of these things from wing or group that activities are going on like other squadrons. 
C/CMSgt 1st Sgt

Huey Driver

Whether my squadron has 12 or 6 cadets on a regular basis, all we've ever had since I've been in CAP is a Flight Commander and Flight Sergeant. Some staff will have to give up their positions.

As for getting more attendance, how often do you do fun activities outside of the regular meeting? e.g. Bivouacs, squadron movie night to see Red Tails, go tour the Air Reserve facilities at KIAG and maybe get a tower tour... have some fun.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Spaceman3750

How are cadets to progress if they aren't in positions of responsibility? I understand the concept of chiefs and Indians, but at some point they can't be an "in-ranks" cadet any more, they have to be an element leader, or a flight sergeant, etc or else they're not getting the full benefit of the program. That might mean that they only have 3 subordinates, but it's still leadership experience - you can't just say "there's too many staff members, C/MSgt Snuffy you're an element member now."

Eclipse

By recruiting.

A leader with no followers is of no real value. You're seeing why the military promotes based on need, not numbers.

To the OP, as the First Shirt and like next C/CC, your >job< is to be fully informed and bring these opportunities to your cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 27, 2012, 08:50:39 PM
you can't just say "there's too many staff members, C/MSgt Snuffy you're an element member now."
Sure you can. If it's made clear that it's a normal rotation, why not?

xSTxMozarTx

It may be my job to be informed of activities but if i do not know about them how can i keep my cadets informed
C/CMSgt 1st Sgt

RogueLeader

Quote from: xSTxMozarTx on January 27, 2012, 09:13:17 PM
It may be my job to be informed of activities but if i do not know about them how can i keep my cadets informed

You bug the snot out of whomever you need to so you get informed.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 27, 2012, 09:16:28 PM
Quote from: xSTxMozarTx on January 27, 2012, 09:13:17 PM

You bug the snot out of whomever you need to so you get informed.

Exactly - get yourselves on the mailing lists, make sure your CAC rep is bothering the rest of the board about notifying people.
Stay in touch with your counterparts at nearby squadrons in the Group or Wing.

Publish a squadron calendar that is populated with upcoming activities at every level you can find.

This isn't 1974, close Halo and Facebook and see what else is out there on the tubes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eagle

My squadron sends out two emails a week, one of which is 2 days after the meeting, and one the day of the meeting, and posting it on our squadron website.
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

kirbahashi

C/CMSgt,

Congrats on becoming the new Cadet Commander.  It will be a fun job, but very tough and demanding as you are finding out as the First Sergeant.

Let me first help you on some of the issues I read in your post.  You are at 13 cadets on paper and you have an on average attendance of 10.  6 of those 10 are on staff...   ???

I have been in lean squadrons.  Squadrons with rolls so small, they should have shut down.  But, they are still there to this day (minus one, and only because the AF Base we were on closed).  So I speak with some experience on this.

Depending on the positions they serve, you need to pare down those slots, unless they are support slots.  Anything under 15 cadets you can get away with Flight Commander or Sergeant (rank dependant) and Element Leaders.  A First Sergeant is a good bonus, but you need to give additional duties to the Top(First Sgt).  i.e. if you have a Flight Commander he helps out as Flight Sergeant.  If you need the AE Officer or an LG Officer, that is fine.  But, they should be assigned to the flight.    Element leaders should be rotated every 6-9 months.  Tops and Commanders every 18-24 months or so.  This should give everyone a chance at a position, though not everyone "deserves a trophy".

Recruiting.
Your squadron needs Seniors.  When I was a Cadet, I hated them!  They didn't understand us, and to me it seemed all they wanted to do is fly.  Now I am a Senior and I want more Seniors than I do Cadets.  BUT, I want Seniors who want to work Cadet Programs!  Focus on finding Seniors that will benefit your squadron.  Find the places that tend to employ people with a good deal of leaders.  Depending on where you live, a nearby military base or even a NG station would be a decent start.  You have none of those places near you, try the local USAF Recruiter.  When I was a cadet, our USAF Recruiter was an active part of two squadrons where I lived.  It was win-win.  We got a real-deal NCO to teach/mentor us, and he got at least 2 recruits a year.  VFW or American Legions are also good places to find some guys who have been down that path, and now they have time on their hands!  Police Departments, Fire Departments (Volunteers too!), and Hospitals are good places to find people with good skill sets that equate to CAP. 

Cadet recruiting?  Easy...  See if you can get an advertisement on local radio or TV.  Get a mention in the local newspaper.  Posters!  Get them from online and put them up.  Nothing bothers me more than seeing posters going up in our building!!! Who are we recruiting in our own building?  NO ONE!  Get them out in schools, Community Centers, Boys/Girls Clubs, you name it, go there.  Press some flesh and meet some people.  Get a color guard and get some publicity.  Work with the VFW.  They are asked to post Colors a lot.  See if you can help.  PUBLICITY!  Shoot for two open houses a year.  If you aren't having an open house, you should be planning one.  You will see your numbers increase!  But once you get them, keep them there.  Keep them motivated.  This is where the Seniors help again!

Communications
It's the 21st Century C/CMSgt.  Enjoy the technology.  You should have at least one cadet confirming attendance for that week's meeting.  If you don't have a website, consider one.  Yahoo Group, Facebook Page, Twitter Feed.  Keep it within Regs and keep everyone informed!  As far as activities???  Your DCC (if you are a composite) should be tied in with the Wing Director for Cadet Programs.  They should be feeding the DCC information on activities, who in turn should be feeding it to you, and in turn to your cadets.  Spaceman gave you a few great links to check frequently to see if anything has come up.  Your Squadrons Operations or ES Officer should have news about the latest and greatest in SAREX if that is your Squadrons thing.  Keep this information on a calendar within your online forum, available to all cadets.  Consider using Google Docs for a lot of this.  And you need to do a little research in the regs.  You should create an excel document with due dates of things like awards, nominations, applications, etc...  Some dates do not change (Cadet Program Awards), some do.   It is a living breathing document.  Your replacement will thank you!

I have put out a lot of information here.  And I will bet it is info you already knew.  I will get off my box and wait for the shots to be taken.  And if you want more advice, shoot me a message offline. 

Good luck, and keep with it.  Your squadron will get better.  Mine did!
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

Extremepredjudice

If you don't have a website, PM me, I can help you out.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"