Uniform Change Discussion - ABU's, OCP's and other considerations

Started by Okayish Aviator, August 04, 2018, 08:16:51 PM

hamburgee

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2018, 04:55:19 PM
...They sell a non-standard, CAP-specific version of the ABU which should be suitable for all members to wear...
Should being the keyword there...

Hawk200

Quote from: hamburgee on September 07, 2018, 03:33:08 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2018, 04:55:19 PM
...They sell a non-standard, CAP-specific version of the ABU which should be suitable for all members to wear...
Should being the keyword there...
I've been wondering about this for a day or so. What is not suitable about them?

(I'm not challenging, I haven't worn the ABU yet, so I have no point of view when it comes to their wear.)

Eclipse

Nothing, except that VG ABUs are non mil-spec.  In fact they aren't even "ABUs", they are "CAP ABUs".

When compared side-by-side, they have a distinct pink hue, and the colors in general are more vibrant.

I say "should" be acceptable to members as since this is the official uniform source,
then it doesn't need to be available anywhere else, however those excited about
wear the ABU want to wear the same brands as the guys on TV, thus they want the "real thing"
and will purport a "shortage" will occur after the USAF adopts a new pattern.

Since they should be getting their uniforms from the official supplier, it's a non-issue
unless you want to interject tangential questions about what is worn and people's motivations.

VG seems very capable of ramping up pac-rim surplus production on anything CAP needs,
so "shortages" should be a thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

West MI-CAP-Ret

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 06, 2018, 06:34:31 AM
Quote from: PHall on August 05, 2018, 02:24:04 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on August 05, 2018, 02:23:42 AM
The AF did not goto the OCP because the Army is already wearing it.  There is more to that decision.

Actually, that is the EXACT reason the Air Force went to it.

The ABU wasn't working and a replacement was desired. Adopting the OCP was seen as an economical way to do it since the Army had already spent the money needed to field it. And the Air Force had some experience wearing it already since by order of CENTCOM everybody in the AOR had to wear it.

More to it than that bro..

I read about the change in Stars and Strips. The AF needed a better field uniform, and it seemed a 'no brainer'; cost, combat field use, and the AF can start issuing theses uniforms more quickly.

Why make this so mysterious? Cost, combat usage, availability.  Seems simply to me. Google AF and OCP. Get back with the class with what you find 😆
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

arajca

Quote from: Lakeshore-CAP-Ret on September 10, 2018, 10:04:14 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on August 06, 2018, 06:34:31 AM
Quote from: PHall on August 05, 2018, 02:24:04 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on August 05, 2018, 02:23:42 AM
The AF did not goto the OCP because the Army is already wearing it.  There is more to that decision.

The ABU wasn't working and a replacement was desired. Adopting the OCP was seen as an economical way to do it since the Army had already spent the money needed to field it. And the Air Force had some experience wearing it already since by order of CENTCOM everybody in the AOR had to wear it.

More to it than that bro..

I read about the change in Stars and Strips. The AF needed a better field uniform, and it seemed a 'no brainer'; cost, combat field use, and the AF can start issuing theses uniforms more quickly.

Why make this so mysterious? Cost, combat usage, availability.  Seems simply to me. Google AF and OCP. Get back with the class with what you find 😆
There is also those folks in DC who said no more newly designed service specific field uniforms.

CAPLTC

Yep.
And soon CAP will be wearing it too.
Going to looks awesome.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPLTC on September 11, 2018, 01:38:46 AM

Yep.
And soon CAP will be wearing it too.
Going to looks awesome.

"Soon" is relative. Based on my experience with uniform changes and transition times, and the recent change to ABUs, It could be until way into the 2020s before CAP sees OCPs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on September 09, 2018, 08:09:48 PM
Nothing, except that VG ABUs are non mil-spec.  In fact they aren't even "ABUs", they are "CAP ABUs".

When compared side-by-side, they have a distinct pink hue, and the colors in general are more vibrant.

So, CAP has it's own variation of "pinks."  ;D

Quote from: Eclipse on September 09, 2018, 08:09:48 PMI say "should" be acceptable to members as since this is the official uniform source,  then it doesn't need to be available anywhere else, however those excited about wear the ABU want to wear
the same brands as the guys on TV, thus they want the "real thing"and will purport a "shortage" will occur after the USAF adopts a new pattern.

Since they should be getting their uniforms from the official supplier, it's a non-issue unless you want to interject tangential questions about what is worn and people's motivations.
Many do want to wear "the Real Deal," and not what might be considered a "knock off." It can be a valid point of concern. I don't like the idea of a knockoff from a sole source.

Quote from: Eclipse on September 09, 2018, 08:09:48 PMVG seems very capable of ramping up pac-rim surplus production on anything CAP needs, so "shortages" should be a thing.
Not sure of Vanguard' sources on there products, so not sure what I think. I doubt Vanguard's ABUs meet anything near the same spec as Air Force ones.

I could see Vanguard wanting to extend wear on their sole source product. Not sure I like that idea either, especially with their history of harassing other suppliers. CAP would be better off going with military spec and standards. Vanguard will take a hit, but it's not like they're the best thing since sliced bread.

CAP really ended up with the short straw when it came to that deal.

MSG Mac

National Uniform Committee (NUC) stated they have no plans for asking the AF for the new uniforms. Even if it was authorized it wouldn't be until ALL Air Force Members's including Reserve, ROTC, and JROTC get theirs.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

I've got a set of Propper (I think?) and a set of DLATS ABUs. I prefer the mil-spec quality (that's a first!). They're just the right comfort level (material-wise).

The pink hue looks funky to me. I always figured there was some slight variation to the fabric, but I'm also color deficient (so a lot of times that's me just accepting that my eyes are playing tricks). So it's not me after all.....

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 11, 2018, 11:28:59 PM
National Uniform Committee (NUC) stated they have no plans for asking the AF for the new uniforms. Even if it was authorized it wouldn't be until ALL Air Force Members's including Reserve, ROTC, and JROTC get theirs.

What?! No new uniforms?!?! But now what are we supposed to debate?!?!?!?!

Luis R. Ramos

Anything BUT uniforms!

Color of the sky in day and night.

Color of our planes.

Color of safety vests.

Sky's the limit!

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 11, 2018, 11:28:59 PM

Mandatory wear date for Active Duty, Air Guard and Reserve is Sept 30, 2021.
A good chunk of the force already has this uniform because they've deployed in the past 5 years.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on September 11, 2018, 11:55:38 PM
A good chunk of the force already has this uniform because they've deployed in the past 5 years.

Which is, according to the tubes, causing it's own CAP-type controversy in that some of those early-issued
materials and patterns don't match the OCP of today, an maybe not what is ultimately the final pattern.

Nice to see sometimes that Big Brother has the same problems.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 11, 2018, 10:40:12 PM
I could see Vanguard wanting to extend wear on their sole source product. Not sure I like that idea either, especially with their history of harassing other suppliers.
The Intellectual Property belongs to CAP, not Vanguard. CAP is driving the "harassment", not Vanguard.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Starbird

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 11, 2018, 11:53:27 PM
Anything BUT uniforms!

Color of our planes.

Color of safety vests.

Sky's the limit!

I do concur, sir! >:D

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2018, 12:36:49 AM
Quote from: PHall on September 11, 2018, 11:55:38 PM

Which is, according to the tubes, causing it's own CAP-type controversy in that some of those early-issued
materials and patterns don't match the OCP of today, an maybe not what is ultimately the final pattern.

Nice to see sometimes that Big Brother has the same problems.

Actually not a problem. You're allowed to wear them until they become unserviceable. The only restriction is that the trousers and the blouse have to match.

TheSkyHornet

Anything BUT uniforms!

Color of our planes.

Color of safety vests.

Sky's the limit!

I see what you did there
>_>
<_<

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 12, 2018, 02:07:04 PM
Anything BUT uniforms!

Color of our planes.

Color of safety vests.

Sky's the limit!

I see what you did there
>_>
<_<

Does that mean Muh Space Force uniforms? hahaha.

So as we talked about earlier, I think some of the stuff that's being done over on the "Ma Blue" side can be adapted. I had this made by VG for a go bag, but here it is on that "CAP-OCP" in the manner I was suggesting.

See the same:

This type of badge wear modification could be done for an OCP-style corporate top as well like the TRU from Truspec.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Spam

Take off all 3 of those shoulder patches and continue to enforce weight & grooming and I'm okay with it for Cadets. Especially remove that subdued by all means, but clean it up and I would support it.

Every year that goes by, approaching my fourth decade in and the more posers I see, I grow more convinced that Air Force Style should be discontinued for adult members.

Vr
Spam