New Air Force Blues design confirmed August 2018

Started by Eclipse, August 16, 2018, 02:51:31 PM

Eclipse

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/08/16/the-air-force-is-working-on-a-new-dress-blues-uniform-and-its-going-old-school/

"The Air Force is designing an updated version of its service dress blues uniform and could roll it out sometime next year, Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force Kaleth Wright said Wednesday.
To find inspiration for the new service jacket, the Air Force's top leaders are looking to the past, he said.
"We'd like to get back to a little more heritage on the jacket," Wright said, "potentially adding two additional pockets and bringing it into more of a military-style jacket."
Changes to the dress blues, as well as a new, moisture-wicking PT uniform now in the works, could come out in mid- to late 2019, said the service's top enlisted airman.
The revised service jacket could have two pockets across the chest, where airmen wear their nametags and ribbons, and two pockets parallel to them, immediately below, Wright said. The outer pockets on the current service jacket — one on the upper left, and two pocket flaps lower down — are decorative."

Yeah, yeah.  "Times" pubs aren't official, and the USAF has been orbiting this for 10+ years, but Chief Wright seems to get things done and
not write checks he doesn't intend to cash.

My prediction, between this and OCPs, by 2021, CAP will no longer be wearing a uniform that matches the USAF, field or blues.
The nearest thing will be the flightsuit, and those are going the way of the dodo with the 2-piece flame retardant OCPs (A2CU) in a lot of places as well.

Good times.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Don't believe anything about Air Force uniform changes until you see it on Air Force Link.
Everything else is just gossip.

Shuman 14

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2017/12/27/new-in-2018-army-decision-coming-on-return-of-pinks-and-greens-uniform/?utm_source=clavis

The Army is going back to Pinks and Greens.

The decision is between the un-belted tunic as shown on the three Soldiers in the first picture and the belted version worn by the SMA in the lower picture.

I've also heard rumors that the Female tunic will now come with unattached false pocket flaps for the upper pockets. These will be added after the Soldier tries on the coat and sewn in place to fit their specific anatomy and to aid in the aligning of ribbons, nametags, badges, etc. correctly.

The Female tunic will not actually have breast pockets just the flaps.

I can see the USAF adopting the same tunics in cut and material but in Air Force Blue color.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Luis R. Ramos

I like the new Army service dress. But now, why not style the garrison cap to what was in WW II as well? Why not change the black piping to the branch color? Starting with Artillery, red and Infantry, light blue? Shuman, do you think that would also be welcomed by troops?

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TheSkyHornet

Typical Pentagon: change uniforms every 6 weeks

SarDragon

Quote from: shuman14 on August 16, 2018, 04:07:07 PMThese will be added after the Soldier tries on the coat and sown in place to fit their specific anatomy ...

Hope you are using some good seeds there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Shuman 14

Hope you are using some good seeds there.
[/quote]

Thanks, correction made.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 16, 2018, 04:50:56 PM
I like the new Army service dress. But now, why not style the garrison cap to what was in WW II as well? Why not change the black piping to the branch color? Starting with Artillery, red and Infantry, light blue? Shuman, do you think that would also be welcomed by troops?

While I like the Idea, I don't see the Army going for it. Too many Branch Colors today to make that cost effective.
Joseph J. Clune

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 16, 2018, 07:46:22 PM

The Air Force has been wearing it's current Service Dress Uniform since 1990.

The Army has been wearing it's current Dress uniform since about 2005.

So where are you getting this "change uniforms every 6 weeks" crap from?

I might have missed something, but I doubt it.

Stonewall

Quote from: PHall on August 16, 2018, 11:50:07 PM

Negative. If you remember, McPeak rolled out his airline uniform around 1993. Then Gen Fogleman fixed it the best he could by removing the sleeve rank and returning it to the shoulders for officers.

Serving since 1987.

THRAWN

His vast experience. At least the Army uniform LOOKS like a military uniform. I do miss the greens though....the white shirt never did it for me....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: Stonewall on August 17, 2018, 12:13:50 AM

Negative. If you remember, McPeak rolled out his airline uniform around 1993. Then Gen Fogleman fixed it the best he could by removing the sleeve rank and returning it to the shoulders for officers.

Gadzooks. Can you post a warning if you are going to show disturbing images?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

Dude...cool your jets. I was being dramatic.

But the uniform changes that the branches go through are ridiculous. They're constant and frequent, whether it's dress uniforms, fatigues, or PT uniforms (because going from grey to black makes soldier's more "fit").

Take all of the branches, and each's uniforms, and calculate the total number of uniform changes in the last two decades.

NIN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 17, 2018, 02:29:09 PM
Take all of the branches, and each's uniforms, and calculate the total number of uniform changes in the last two decades.

<points at 8th and I>
"The Marines started it!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: NIN on August 17, 2018, 02:31:03 PM

<points at 8th and I>

Marines start a lot of trouble, and uniform changes are ALL trouble. :D

BTW I got you a snack for later... (all in some brotherly love)
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Luis R. Ramos

I guess uniform changes give everybody a chance to work on something while waiting for the next superweapon purchase and implementation...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spam

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 17, 2018, 05:19:23 PM
I guess uniform changes give everybody a chance to work on something while waiting for the next superweapon purchase and implementation...

(Ahem)

Not waiting, Luis!  Doing!

;)

V/R
Spam

MSG Mac

They must have an alarm clock somewhere in the pentagon that goes off every five years to remind the services that its time to redesign uniforms.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

LATORRECA

Dude...cool your jets. I was being dramatic.

But the uniform changes that the branches go through are ridiculous. They're constant and frequent, whether it's dress uniforms, fatigues, or PT uniforms (because going from grey to black makes soldier's more "fit").

Marines once

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LATORRECA

Quote from: DocJekyll on August 17, 2018, 04:13:02 PM

<points at 8th and I>

Doc that's not nice. We have done anything than started a trend of complexity among the services and their inferior ability to choose a good and decent uniform. At least we got it right the first time. Just saying.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: LATORRECA on August 20, 2018, 06:49:20 PM

<points at 8th and I>

Doc that's not nice. We have done anything than started a trend of complexity among the services and their inferior ability to choose a good and decent uniform. At least we got it right the first time. Just saying.

Marines have always had the sharpest uniforms. That's a given. Marines put the pockets in the right places first as well. I had to give it a little jab though.  ;)

LATORRECA

Quote from: DocJekyll on August 20, 2018, 08:24:54 PM

<points at 8th and I>

Marines have always had the sharpest uniforms. That's a given. Marines put the pockets in the right places first as well. I had to give it a little jab though.  ;)
Point taken, still our fetish with crayons are well known 🤣🤣

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: LATORRECA on August 20, 2018, 08:26:52 PM
Quote from: DocJekyll on August 20, 2018, 08:24:54 PM

<points at 8th and I>

Point taken, still our fetish with crayons are well known 🤣🤣

I once went to the Crayola Factory and made a color and named it "Menu 18: Beef Ravioli in Meat Sauce" It was a hit with my buddy at the stumps.