Blue Angels Hold First-Ever Open Tryouts

Started by A.Member, December 01, 2008, 08:05:34 PM

A.Member

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/blue_angels_hold_first_ever_open

QuoteOthers noted the beaming face of Peter Collsworthy, a foreman at an Akron, OH cement plant for the past 25 years, who got the biggest roars from the crowd by far.

"He may have flunked the 'near-miss' part of the high-speed aerobatic pass, caused the death of a man with 17 years' flight experience when he sheared the wing off of Cmdr. Hickock's plane, vomited into his helmet, panicked, inverted the aircraft with the throttles maxed, and hit Mach 1 just before crashing into bleachers full of spectators with almost a full load of fuel," Blue Angels commanding officer Brock Saxon said. "But he nailed the steep climb and the steep dive, and he certainly had showmanship. If there's one thing I keep telling my cadets, it's that you can't teach enthusiasm. I think we all learned a little something about the power of raw enthusiasm here today."

"That crowd was rocking out to 'Danger Zone' when he plummeted into them at the speed of sound," said Lois Collsworthy, Peter's widow. "That would have meant a lot to him. He always loved that song."

ROFLMAO!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Duke Dillio

I still can't stop laughing.....   :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pumbaa

Wow.... Who would have thought that the BA's would do something like that...

Think the Thunderbird's will try that too?

:angel:

Rob Sherlin

Totaly different branch of service, different aircraft, different training, and I didn't think it was that funny anyway!....It's gotta' be a joke right?.... ;D...Glad that stuff doesn't really happen
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

DC

Rob Sherlin

"What's this button for?"....The thing is, how many people are now sending letters to the Navy, wanting to know the next time they can try out for the Blue Angels ( I'm sure they have better things to do than read letters that were from a BS story.
  I have to admit, I was a little "ticked" that the "Thunderbirds" were mentioned in all this (if you're  a "Navy Boy" and have something against the Air Force...Then go join a Navy Auxilary). I have been a Thunderbirds fan since I was in AFJROTC, I have a very deep respect for the F-16 ( We shouldn't have allowed other countries to have that aircraft...PERIOD!!)
  To think the USN would just take a Civilian, and let them fly a multi-million dollar plane (in aerobatic stunts yet ) is ironic, and to publish such a thing, is calling the Navy Command a bunch of idiots.
  Yes!.....I'm glad it wasn't about the Thunderbirds!
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on December 02, 2008, 05:12:39 PM
"What's this button for?"....The thing is, how many people are now sending letters to the Navy, wanting to know the next time they can try out for the Blue Angels ( I'm sure they have better things to do than read letters that were from a BS story.
  I have to admit, I was a little "ticked" that the "Thunderbirds" were mentioned in all this (if you're  a "Navy Boy" and have something against the Air Force...Then go join a Navy Auxilary). I have been a Thunderbirds fan since I was in AFJROTC, I have a very deep respect for the F-16 ( We shouldn't have allowed other countries to have that aircraft...PERIOD!!)
  To think the USN would just take a Civilian, and let them fly a multi-million dollar plane (in aerobatic stunts yet ) is ironic, and to publish such a thing, is calling the Navy Command a bunch of idiots.

Rob,

You know The Onion is satirical right?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

A.Member

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 02, 2008, 06:13:56 PM
Quote from: Rob Sherlin on December 02, 2008, 05:12:39 PM

Rob,

You know The Onion is a satirical right?
LOL!   I'm not sure he did.  Which itself is almost as funny as the story! 

Rob, did you see this picture in the story? (click photo for a larger, clearer image):

That's good stuff right there.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

pixelwonk

Rob Sherlin

Duke Dillio

I'm still rolling on the floor after this one...

I love that first one "Nice radio work.  Needs more practice ejecting."

:clap: :clap: :clap:

notaNCO forever

Pumbaa

You mean the onion is fake news????  i've been using it as my primary source of news for 5 years now!

Next you'll tell me there is no Santa claus!

Fifinella

^^^ Watch your language!  There are cadets on this board.  No Santa Claus!  Hmmph.  :D
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

notaNCO forever

What their is no Santa Claus  :o I just got over the easter bunny being fake.

jeders

Quote from: NCO forever on December 02, 2008, 10:30:21 PM
What their is no Santa Claus  :o I just got over the easter bunny being fake.

Blasphemer! If there's no Easter Bunny, then who left all those eggs in my yard.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

A.Member

Quote from: Sqn72DO on December 02, 2008, 08:51:26 PM
I'm still rolling on the floor after this one...

I love that first one "Nice radio work.  Needs more practice ejecting."

:clap: :clap: :clap:
I think my favorite is: "Excellent diving and rolling capabilities - A "must recruit" if he survives coma"  ;D

flyerthom

Quote from: Fifinella on December 02, 2008, 10:19:48 PM
^^^ Watch your language!  There are cadets on this board.  No Santa Claus!  Hmmph.  :D

I've got a few things to say about Santa Claus only there are Cadets on this board, the ADIZ violating ...
TC

BillB

then who left all those eggs in my yard?

The Easter Chicken, bunnys don't lay eggs
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

MIKE

Mike Johnston