Stay in CAP or find Another Way to Serve

Started by CAPed Crusader, October 22, 2018, 10:13:21 PM

CAPed Crusader

Hello,
I wanted to go into the armed forces, but I have disabilities. Should I stay and CAP and be a SAR operative or be in CAP and have a job that is another form of serving while in CAP. By the way, they are not physical disabilities. Any advice?

DeRosa

Eclipse

If you have the desire to serve, there will always be opportunities, both in CAP and outside of it.

There are any number of area within ES that members with limited mobility, or sensory issues could still
participate fully, not to mention the 2 other important missions of CAP, all of which have similar opportunities.

As a cadet-aged person with medical issues, your first and foremost concern should be working through
them and your education so that you can have a satisfying life, and within CAP, instead of limiting the
lane you can play in artificially, just participate as you can and explore opportunities as they are available and
your abilities allow.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

As stated, CAP will always have a place for you regardless of your challenges. 

Focus on the present, the CAP piece of your future is stable.

TheSkyHornet

CAP will make the effort to accommodate your disabilities. You must also make the effort to overcome them.

Don't let excuses exclude you from participating or performing your role.

Chad.Rogers

I rarely ever post on here but I feel compelled to for ya. Those folks are absolutely right. If you do encounter someone or a few people who may make it difficult to serve then realize they have their own issues. If they are C.A.P. members & they can't be avoided the command of your unit should address it but if that doeSent occur there are better C.A.P. units out there. Like all organizations we have good units & bad units. I am disabled as well. I was medically retired from the Army in 2014 after seventeen years as an Infantryman. I've come to consider myself rather disabled to be "re-enabled" in ways I previously wasn't. Do not let a disablity get in the way of your desires of serving others. It may not allow you to do it in exactly the way you wanted but you're still important and still can be of service. I volunteer not only in C.A.P. but also in the Coast Guard Auxiliary, Team Rubicon (excellent organization), Red Cross, amongst many others. I know of disabled folks who volunteer time are fire departments in roles that they can handle. If I can ever do any to help let me know. We all need someone to encourage us occasionally and sometimes for myself now that I have disabilities I need encouragement more than I used to.

CAPed Crusader

Thank you for your response and service to our country!
Quote from: Chad.Rogers on November 26, 2018, 05:32:28 AM
If I can ever do any to help let me know. We all need someone to encourage us occasionally and sometimes for myself now that I have disabilities I need encouragement more than I used to.

I'll be sure to keep this in mind. ;-)

CAPed Crusader

Can you be a pilot with mental health anyway, [bipolar]

CAPed Crusader

NovemberWhiskey

My understanding is bipolar disorder diagnosis is nearly-always disqualifying for an FAA medical certification. Without such a certification, it would be impossible to become certified as a Private Pilot, which is the basic requirement to be a CAP pilot. Sorry.

OldGuy

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on November 30, 2018, 11:56:41 PM
My understanding is bipolar disorder diagnosis is nearly-always disqualifying for an FAA medical certification. Without such a certification, it would be impossible to become certified as a Private Pilot, which is the basic requirement to be a CAP pilot. Sorry.
What matters are the medical records and exam. I'd make sure that the doctors involved explore the diagnosis carefully before a permanent record is made.