Unit Citation Award documentation

Started by Holding Pattern, January 24, 2019, 09:55:02 PM

Holding Pattern

Looking in my cadet items I found I had the UCA as a cadet. If I get the squadron I was at to provide documentation of receipt of the award during my time there, is that sufficient documentation to submit for legacy award entry?

dwb

Unit Citations are tricky because the documentation is so poor, and NHQ only recently (relatively speaking) started tracking transfers between units. For example, I've been in for so long that my original unit of membership isn't in my eServices record.

The best you can do is get proof of the effective dates of the unit citation, and some kind of proof that you were a member of that unit (an old membership card, for example, or even a written statement from a former commander). It's kind of the honor system for older citations.

Holding Pattern

I have my membership card, and oddly enough e-services picked up my original join date. So I think my chances are fairly good so long as the old squadron has their docs in order (highly likely, they've had their own airport building for ages and it isn't the first nor the last UCA they got)

Eclipse

If you can provide documentation, that should be enough, as should a photo of you wearing it, etc.

As what your unit may or may not have, my current unit earned a UC back when I was CD and well before anyone
else currently in the unit was a member, and while they have been happy enough to display the streamer
no one knows where the cert is or the citation, both of which I have held in my hands numerous times, but not
in the last 5-8 years.

"That Others May Zoom"